Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

2019 US RS3 exhaust question - about to buy

Old 05-30-2019, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Nick,

I actually flew to Dublin, Ohio and purchased a new Yellow Challenger Hellcat the car I traded in on my RS3.
I did all of it over the phone and in maybe 15-minutes.
I worked for new car dealerships for like 20 years so I know exactly how they operate.

I kept the Hellcat for 1-year and traded it for the ordered RS3 in my signature.
I did go ahead and release the Hellcat for maximum trade-in credit.
They sold the Hellcat in less than 5-days !!!

Took like 5 months for the RS3 to get here and delivered.

Terry
Wow, the cops must've seen and heard you coming before you crossed state lines LOL! I tell you what - I had more fun driving my S3 than I did the Camaro, regardless of the performance difference, because of the whole lightweight/go-kart thing. The one thing I really miss about my Camaro though isn't even a manual transmission since that DCT is so good - it was the piece of mind of having that laser jammer. I'm just not sure if I can get the sensors installed close enough to the headlights on an RS3 to be as effective. The Hellcat and Camaro have the perfect front ends for them.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Nick,

I actually flew to Dublin, Ohio and purchased a new Yellow Challenger Hellcat the car I traded in on my RS3.
I did all of it over the phone and in maybe 15-minutes.
I worked for new car dealerships for like 20 years so I know exactly how they operate.

I kept the Hellcat for 1-year and traded it for the ordered RS3 in my signature.
I did go ahead and release the Hellcat for maximum trade-in credit.
They sold the Hellcat in less than 5-days !!!

Took like 5 months for the RS3 to get here and delivered.

Terry
Hey Terry, this one's for you buddy,..I think you'll appreciate my former vanity plate LOL
Old 05-31-2019, 06:16 AM
2019 RS3 ordered 1-5-2019

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ntstambo2
Wow, the cops must've seen and heard you coming before you crossed state lines LOL! I tell you what - I had more fun driving my S3 than I did the Camaro, regardless of the performance difference, because of the whole lightweight/go-kart thing. The one thing I really miss about my Camaro though isn't even a manual transmission since that DCT is so good - it was the piece of mind of having that laser jammer. I'm just not sure if I can get the sensors installed close enough to the headlights on an RS3 to be as effective. The Hellcat and Camaro have the perfect front ends for them.
Hey Nick,

The Hellcat was a Muscle-Car with Huge POWER.
But, it was a Huge Car and had the biggest blind-spots looking to the left and right rear that would easily hide a full-size crew-cab pick-up truck.
I never could adjust to it's size and here where I live with constant traffic it was a PAIN to drive because of those Enormous-Blind-Spots.
I Do-Not miss it at all .........
I kept it for a year and it had like 2,000 total miles on it and 460 miles or so were from driving it back to Franklin, TN. from the Chrysler dealership in Dublin, Ohio.

I'm much-much more comfortable in a Small Sedan and with that being said the RS3 with it's huge POWER and all it's technology without any Blind-Spots is perfect for me.

Hey Terry, this one's for you buddy,..I think you'll appreciate my former vanity plate LOL

Nick,

I see ^^^ and read you pal.

Terry
Old 06-04-2019, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just took my new car for a spin for a first time and coming from a 2018 S3 with a resonator delete, here's my input on the exhaust so far

Huge let down so far. Shockingly, my S3 with the resonator delete is significantly louder than the RS3. Yes, I'm in Dynamic + Sport. Yes, I have Dynamic Package with Sport Exhaust. I'm only at about 130 miles and haven't hammered it yet since I haven't had a chance to go on the highway. I had the car dropped off at my office and will leave after rush hour so i can gun it later on. The one plus that I'll give the RS3 so far is that it doesn't sound as much like a 4cyl fart can. It's not that the S3 sounds bad - it's probably up there with the best notes out of a 4cyl I've heard. The RS3 does have a great note, but it feels hidden compared to my old car. I know it's the better performance car, but looking at the sum of all parts (brakes are a big question mark, need winter tires, quiet exhaust, no power seats, still no home-link garage door opener, still need to subscribe to MMI to get my PSI), I'd be lying if I told you was having a few regrets right now. A few of those things are really just "WTF Audi" annoyances. It's a 2019 RS model with all 4 packages.

I'm sorry but I have to rant a little bit. How in the name of all that is German did someone decide it was OK to sell this car, a car that I'm pretty sure comes standard with a virtual cockpit, with the ability to tell you individual tire temperatures and if you're losing individual tire PSI - but they don't tell you your PSI without a needing a poorly designed fee-based app? Who do I have to pay to get a friggen garage door programmable buttons??? To be perfectly honestly, coming from my S3 which had virtual cockpit, it's nothing but window dressing. If it didn't look so cool, I think I would honestly trade actual PSI data and homelink for it. It's almost like they did this all to annoy me...OK, I got that out of my system LOL
Old 06-04-2019, 11:49 AM
2019 RS3 ordered 1-5-2019

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I just took my new car for a spin for a first time and coming from a 2018 S3 with a resonator delete, here's my input on the exhaust so far

Huge let down so far. Shockingly, my S3 with the resonator delete is significantly louder than the RS3. Yes, I'm in Dynamic + Sport. Yes, I have Dynamic Package with Sport Exhaust. I'm only at about 130 miles and haven't hammered it yet since I haven't had a chance to go on the highway. I had the car dropped off at my office and will leave after rush hour so i can gun it later on. The one plus that I'll give the RS3 so far is that it doesn't sound as much like a 4cyl fart can. It's not that the S3 sounds bad - it's probably up there with the best notes out of a 4cyl I've heard. The RS3 does have a great note, but it feels hidden compared to my old car. I know it's the better performance car, but looking at the sum of all parts (brakes are a big question mark, need winter tires, quiet exhaust, no power seats, still no home-link garage door opener, still need to subscribe to MMI to get my PSI), I'd be lying if I told you was having a few regrets right now. A few of those things are really just "WTF Audi" annoyances. It's a 2019 RS model with all 4 packages.

I'm sorry but I have to rant a little bit. How in the name of all that is German did someone decide it was OK to sell this car, a car that I'm pretty sure comes standard with a virtual cockpit, with the ability to tell you individual tire temperatures and if you're losing individual tire PSI - but they don't tell you your PSI without a needing a poorly designed fee-based app? Who do I have to pay to get a friggen garage door programmable buttons??? To be perfectly honestly, coming from my S3 which had virtual cockpit, it's nothing but window dressing. If it didn't look so cool, I think I would honestly trade actual PSI data and homelink for it. It's almost like they did this all to annoy me...OK, I got that out of my system LOL
ntstambo2,

You haven't said anything that more than likely the rest of have but maybe not in an open-post.

Terry
Old 06-04-2019, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

What do you mean a about actual PSI data? You can change the left side of the VC to switch between a G meter and the tire PSI/temp display. Then you can just shuttle between the two using the left side roller control.

As far as exhaust not being loud enough, LOL, get an aftermarket setup, from the various YouTube videos they should be plenty loud.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

ntstambo2,

You haven't said anything that more than likely the rest of have but maybe not in an open-post.

Terry
LOL! Sorry, I wrote that quickly and spur of the moment after fiddling with everything in the parking lot here. The PSI thing really bothered me the most. It's like they went out of their way to prove to management that they could drive revenue from an app. Instead of engineering an app that provided value, they engineered a way to hold you hostage to it. The only thing I'm really worried about is if the car will allow me to change away from the ceramic setup it came with. The exhaust sound isn't the end of the world, but it's disappointing. That's not how I remembered the car, but hopefully there's a solution that won't compromise my warranty since it's my DD.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nate
What do you mean a about actual PSI data? You can change the left side of the VC to switch between a G meter and the tire PSI/temp display. Then you can just shuttle between the two using the left side roller control.

As far as exhaust not being loud enough, LOL, get an aftermarket setup, from the various YouTube videos they should be plenty loud.
When I looked at it, its labeled PSI loss or change (can't remember the exact wording). It looks like you still have to go into the MMI app to get your current PSI levels. There were literally no readings listed there, just dashes, so it really doesn't appear to me to be a simple reading. Am I wrong?

And for the exhaust, I don't want to have to go to aftermarket with my DD. This isn't a cheap Camaro, it's a German car that is expensive to repair. Once you modify anything beyond the cosmetics with aftermarket on your car, especially with an RS car, it opens the door for far too much on day 1. Remember, I had the model below this and it was all Audi and sounded great. There's no way a 4cyl version of the same car should sound sportier than the RS version that has also has the sports exhaust. It just makes no sense.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Mine shows current PSI and temp for each tire, but it would only show the pressure (maybe both) if the vehicle was moving...

I get my car back on Thursday (it's in for a PPF wrap) and I'll check then, but it definitely showed actual pressure as far as I remember.

Edit: I've got just over 1K miles now, and I feel like it's getting a bit louder? Just had the oil changed and feel like I can open it up more now.

I also traded in from an S3 (2016 Prestige with 82K miles on trade in). So far I'm loving the RS3, though I could maybe see an exhaust in my future (nothing that mods the emissions bits, been looking at the AWE SwitchPath without the midpipes). Time will tell, but I wanted to get a few thousand miles on it before I do anything stupid . My dealership.is an APR dealer and is apparently OK with mods, but that's a very dicey situation (I had a 2000 S4 with blown turbos so I'm a bit gun-shy)

Last edited by nate; 06-04-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nate
Mine shows current PSI and temp for each tire, but it would only show the pressure (maybe both) if the vehicle was moving...

I get my car back on Thursday (it's in for a PPF wrap) and I'll check then, but it definitely showed actual pressure as far as I remember.

Edit: I've got just over 1K miles now, and I feel like it's getting a bit louder? Just had the oil changed and feel like I can open it up more now.

I also traded in from an S3 (2016 Prestige with 82K miles on trade in). So far I'm loving the RS3, though I could maybe see an exhaust in my future (nothing that mods the emissions bits, been looking at the AWE SwitchPath without the midpipes). Time will tell, but I wanted to get a few thousand miles on it before I do anything stupid . My dealership.is an APR dealer and is apparently OK with mods, but that's a very dicey situation (I had a 2000 S4 with blown turbos so I'm a bit gun-shy)
Thanks, I fiddled with it more after I left work and had my Audi app updated. I see the "when moving above 16mph" text now and it gives me actual PSI when I drive. I think we can only see that though because we have that complimentary period for the app. When I first checked the car, nothing had been setup online and I'm almost positive that option wasn't there. I know for a fact I couldn't access that data anymore on my S3 after my free trial period ended. It's not a big deal for me, I just like going through everything and learning all the pro's and con's about the car.

The exhaust sound though, I don't think I can live with. I held out for a while before adding the resonator option on the S3 and may do the same to see if it improves like you mentioned about yours. I highly doubt it's going to change much though, so I'm going to look for the least intrusive way to address it. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thinking back, I remember this now from when I test drove a 2019 TT RS. I thought I hadn't clicked on Dynamic or missed something in the menus, but realize now that it's the same.
This RS3 just has more of a grown-up Audi feel to it. I can't sense the higher gear changes as easy and they're harder to hear. Lower gears I can hear changing, but there's no real exhaust blips or snap-crackle-pop at all. Manual mode sounds exactly like I'm driving a torque converter A4 S-line loaner.
The S3 was like a reincarnation of the 2001 S4 (B4 or whatever version it's referred to as). That car was matched perfectly to the DSG and the gear changes felt so good, they were addictive. It made you drive like an a--hole because it was just too fun not to, but the suspension and handling of the RS3 are just exponentially better.

Last edited by ntstambo2; 06-05-2019 at 04:19 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2019 US RS3 exhaust question - about to buy