Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

2019 US RS3 exhaust question - about to buy

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nate
Mine shows current PSI and temp for each tire, but it would only show the pressure (maybe both) if the vehicle was moving...

I get my car back on Thursday (it's in for a PPF wrap) and I'll check then, but it definitely showed actual pressure as far as I remember.

Edit: I've got just over 1K miles now, and I feel like it's getting a bit louder? Just had the oil changed and feel like I can open it up more now.

I also traded in from an S3 (2016 Prestige with 82K miles on trade in). So far I'm loving the RS3, though I could maybe see an exhaust in my future (nothing that mods the emissions bits, been looking at the AWE SwitchPath without the midpipes). Time will tell, but I wanted to get a few thousand miles on it before I do anything stupid . My dealership.is an APR dealer and is apparently OK with mods, but that's a very dicey situation (I had a 2000 S4 with blown turbos so I'm a bit gun-shy)
Just saw your edit when I was editing mine LOL. Definitely keep me posted - I'm probably going to go about this the same exact way as you. Thanks again for the feedback...hopefully we can help the next guy that ends up in our shoes
Old 06-05-2019, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ah, one other thing -- you're talking about the Audi app on your phone, not the Virtual Cockpit, correct? Sorry for the confusion there.

I could definitely see Audi not sending that data through unless you had a subscription, as that system is not free to run (car talks to a cell tower, to Audi servers in "the cloud" and your phone talks to those same servers). I don't think there's any direct phone to car connection for that app, though maybe... Might have to do some packet capture on local wifi to see what's going on.

If you really need tire pressure info on your phone instead of the cockpit, I wonder if that data comes across the OBDII port? I've had great luck in the past with an ELM327 Bluetooth module and the Torque Pro app for Android.

Totally agree on the S3 vs the old S4... Except the S3 didn't plow into corners with the understeer of that big V6 ahead of the front wheels 😁
Old 06-05-2019, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nate
Ah, one other thing -- you're talking about the Audi app on your phone, not the Virtual Cockpit, correct? Sorry for the confusion there.

I could definitely see Audi not sending that data through unless you had a subscription, as that system is not free to run (car talks to a cell tower, to Audi servers in "the cloud" and your phone talks to those same servers). I don't think there's any direct phone to car connection for that app, though maybe... Might have to do some packet capture on local wifi to see what's going on.

If you really need tire pressure info on your phone instead of the cockpit, I wonder if that data comes across the OBDII port? I've had great luck in the past with an ELM327 Bluetooth module and the Torque Pro app for Android.

Totally agree on the S3 vs the old S4... Except the S3 didn't plow into corners with the understeer of that big V6 ahead of the front wheels 😁
Yeah, well it's really the whole way they set it all up. Lesser cars that come with TPMS from the factory have been syncing directly with the sensors to display your PSI for the past decade. There's really no need for an app at all, LOL.

I don't think it'll come through the OBDII port though without an active subscription to the app. Before my app was activated, I just saw dashes on the screen. It's not a big deal or anything...just one of those things you notice on day 1 with a new car and say WTF
Old 06-05-2019, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol a resonator delete S3 is not louder than an RS3, but to each their own.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BusStopF1
Lol a resonator delete S3 is not louder than an RS3, but to each their own.
Do you honestly think this is something I'm happy about? For whatever reason, it's absolutely the case and it's not even remotely close.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had a vendor who was local..added his contact info, which is public on Audizine in case anyone doubts me (Email: Paul@SupremePower.com vCall or Text: 914-243-1993) He tested the car out and checked for codes. No codes and no valves sticking. He was shocked as well and agreed 100%. Compared to a bone stock 2018, the sound coming out of the 2019 is an utter joke. Looks like I'm going straight to aftermarket. Disappointed to say the least, especially after asking everything I could about this and buying from out of state...you can't gauge sound over the phone and I was hoping I did something wrong, or the valves were stuck. I'm waiting to hear from Audi as well.

Last edited by ntstambo2; 06-05-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ntstambo2
I had a vendor who was local..added his contact info, which is public on Audizine in case anyone doubts me (Email: Paul@SupremePower.com vCall or Text: 914-243-1993) He tested the car out and checked for codes. No codes and no valves sticking. He was shocked as well and agreed 100%. Compared to a bone stock 2018, the sound coming out of the 2019 is an utter joke. Looks like I'm going straight to aftermarket. Disappointed to say the least, especially after asking everything I could about this and buying from out of state...you can't gauge sound over the phone and I was hoping I did something wrong, or the valves were stuck. I'm waiting to hear from Audi as well.
Sorry to hear this. My 2018 is fairly loud. Pops when it blips the throttle when downshifting in dynamic+sport. Big time pops when starting it with the car warm. And with the sunroof open it sounds great. And I came from a 2017 S3. Take it to your local dealer and get it checked. Don’t know about a vendor checking it. If it’s all fine, then yes Audi changed the exhaust maybe.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Will Motivation had a similar experience, if I remember correctly. He immediately sold the 18 RS3 he bought and got a 16 S3 for damn cheap instead.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Rans09vert
Sorry to hear this. My 2018 is fairly loud. Pops when it blips the throttle when downshifting in dynamic+sport. Big time pops when starting it with the car warm. And with the sunroof open it sounds great. And I came from a 2017 S3. Take it to your local dealer and get it checked. Don’t know about a vendor checking it. If it’s all fine, then yes Audi changed the exhaust maybe.
Originally Posted by PaperLion
Will Motivation had a similar experience, if I remember correctly. He immediately sold the 18 RS3 he bought and got a 16 S3 for damn cheap instead.
Thanks and I'm sorry if I'm coming off frustrated. I'm slammed at work and this is more aggravation at the wrong time. I just wish I had found out about this when I was researching. I'm not familiar with Audi's the way I am with domestics and the out of state dealer knew exactly what my concerns were and said nothing. It's obvious now why I was able to get this car well below invoice.

That guy Paul who came by my work also consulted the tech director of Unitronic. Apparently, this is the way it will be going forward for all European cars. He's saying the exhaust flaps are installed, but won't change tone anymore - they're always closed. Our only option is aftermarket.

We can scanned for codes and it came back clean, and we can hear a slight change with the drive mode so it isn't stuck. According to Paul, his 2018 was much louder when stock this 2019. It's honestly no exaggeration that it sounds like a cross between a car with fake sounds being piped in through a speaker and the A4 S-line loaner I got during my last oil change. There's just enough there for you to hear that it's working. I'm not trying to say it's fake, just making a comparison so anyone who reads this can visualize it. There's also nothing about it any of the car's documentation, at least that I could find.

So my options now are solely aftermarket. I live near the former Farnbacher-Loles Porsche facility and will likely have them handle it. I'm really curious to hear what the Audi ambassador has to say and if I get any assurances on the warranty. The little devil on my shoulder wants them to tell me it'll be toast no matter what so I can just ship it off to IMS, LOL...j/k
Old 06-06-2019, 05:04 AM
2019 RS3 ordered 1-5-2019

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

ntstambo2,

I have been keeping up with this Thread and of course the posting on your RS3 exhaust.
I cannot decide if your in the US (United States) or maybe in another European Country ???
I mention the above simply to say if your NOT in the USA and you are in Europe ???
There are two different exhaust systems after all the delay with the European NEW emissions for 2019 including the Audi RS3.

I can tell you I don't have very many miles on mine but I don't mind posting what mine does sound like in regards to it's exhaust in the USA of course.
Also, and I did read you have your's set for Sport Mode as well as Dynamic as mine is for Maximum Exhaust Feed-Back once the RS3 reaches it's {Correct-Operating-Temperature}.
Anyway, mine does sound A-OK with all the windows up and the sunroof closed.
I can easily hear it do that Pop & Cracking sound as it downshifts especially if it's been driven for awhile and totally HOT after repeated starts and stops.
Also, I did notice it seems to make more of those POPS & Cracks coming off the interstate onto the exit-ramps at say 70 MPH or so.
But, I do hear it in traffic if it gets to a higher gear and then comes to a stop.
(I'm saying if it gets up to say 3rd or 4th gear then I stop I can hear it make those noticeable POPS & CRACKS we all seem to love.)
I should mention that I was very intentionally listening for them ^^^

I could also more EASILY hear the Pops & Cracks when starting it up in the garage after coming back home in it and it being parked in the garage.
I turned it off and waited a bit (Few-Minutes) and then restarted it and it was EASY to hear what members speak of.

I also can say I can hear the exhaust as it accelerates through the gears especially if I was pushing it to higher RPM, but Not-Wide-Open or Flooring it.

Now that I have said all the above and I did have the XM Radio on low volume while driving.
I mention having the XM satellite radio on for a reason.
I do wonder if you would hear the exhaust do it's thing if I in-fact had the XM satellite radio volume higher, not LOUD,
but simply the volume to more where you wanted to actually listen to it versus it being really low-volume listening more to the exhaust sounds.

Finally, I am a really older fellow that is 74 years old and through my years I have had all brands of cars and a great many of them with LOUD exhaust.
Especially when I was a younger fellow and in-fact even as late as when I was in my 60's.
I mention the above for a reason and that reason is the following guys when speaking of exhaust Feed-Back.
The RS3 telling it like it is guys this is what I will say ............
Keep in mind these next comments are coming from a Car-Geek, Muscle-Car-Guy.
The RS3's Sport exhaust when the electronics are set to Sport & Dynamic with the windows up & sunroof closed is NOT by any Stretch of the Imagination LOUD guys.
And IMO if we also had the XM Satellite radio turned-up to a normal listening level I'm thinking we wouldn't hear the exhaust I don't think.
(I didn't actually try the above ^^^ but I think I'm probably right)

Lastly,
If your a guy/gal that really loves the Louder Exhaust then more than likely IMO your going to have to go (After-Market) with some sort of (Modification).

In my case I've done been down that road ^^^ many-many-many times and therefore my RS3 is staying exactly as I took delivery of it.
I Do-Not want to have any issue arise and when I take it to my dealer they take one look and it's been (Modified) and now comes the question of Factory-Warranty.
And before any of you get on the old, never-ever-ending, crap on Warranty coverage versus what was Altered I'm not remotely interested in going there with you.
I worked in a variety of positions the 20-years I worked for New Car Dealerships so in my case I already know all about those discussions/situations guys.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 06-06-2019 at 05:17 AM.

Quick Reply: 2019 US RS3 exhaust question - about to buy