Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

2017 RS3 or 2018 RS3

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 RS3 or 2018 RS3

Hi,

Pulling the trigger on getting the RS3 the choices are

a. 2017 RS3 which should arrive in the next month or so
b. Custom order 2018 which i would have to wait for for few months to arrive.

The 2017 has the options i want and both are priced at MSRP no negotiations what so ever. Wondering if there is any thing significantly different between the 2017 or 2018 models?

thanks
shankar
Old 08-01-2017, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

If the 17 is specked as you want I would go for the 17. Why wait?
Old 08-01-2017, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Shankar
Hi,

The 2017 has the options i want and both are priced at MSRP no negotiations what so ever. Wondering if there is any thing significantly different between the 2017 or 2018 models?

thanks
shankar

From what we have been told here. It will likely be quite a bit longer than a few months to order a new 2018 this late in the game. I have had my order in since Feb, and am expecting late October delivery. Those who got their orders in more recently have been told 2019. Some have even stated that the 2018's are sold out for the model year at this point (I have not confirmed this myself)

Have you talked to a dealer yet on what the time frame looks like for ordering a custom 2018?
Old 08-01-2017, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GrimTango42
From what we have been told here. It will likely be quite a bit longer than a few months to order a new 2018 this late in the game. I have had my order in since Feb, and am expecting late October delivery. Those who got their orders in more recently have been told 2019. Some have even stated that the 2018's are sold out for the model year at this point (I have not confirmed this myself)

Have you talked to a dealer yet on what the time frame looks like for ordering a custom 2018?
I ordered mine in July and was told (by multiple dealers) that it will be November / December by the time it shows up here. Curious on the 2019! Seems quite a bit ways away.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shankar
Hi,

thanks
shankar
If you are just going to spec the 2018 identically to how the 2017 is configured, get the 2017. The cars are identical. I think that's what you were asking.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dazed1
I ordered mine in July and was told (by multiple dealers) that it will be November / December by the time it shows up here. Curious on the 2019! Seems quite a bit ways away.
Very interesting. It is hard to say if the info I was given earlier is accurate. Based on what others are running into, I would say its not. However, many of the cars users are finding on these forums were ordered by the dealerships for extra profit, and not customer orders.

Most dealerships do not place orders for a lower production volume car like the RS3 without a customer sold order unless they are allocated the car (meaning the auto maker needed to move cars to show rooms so they "give" the best performing dealerships a present) However, this early in the game, the more likely scenario is that the dealerships placed an order for the RS3 with specs they thought might sell well and quickly rather than having a customer order that car. It is a common practice, and one that dealerships often take advantage of.

We may have WAY under estimated the production volumes of this RS3 gen though. Based on what info is coming out, we may see Audi producing BMW M level of cars in order to truly compete. I think the TTRS and the RS3 are a real turn around car for Audi in this space. The reviews are all positive so far and that is a change of pace. The RS devision of Audi is under new leadership, and Audi may actually be trying to compete with AMG and BMW M in terms of volume sales.

I would take what some of the members on this forum are saying in terms of their abilities to secure cars worth a grain of salt however. There does seem to be a level of misinformation spread across these forums as some users fabricate lies for attention (an odd situation).

The best thing to do is to contact your local dealers to see what they can do for you. If you, in a perfect World, would spec out your RS3 just like the 2017s would be. Then absolutely seek out a 2017. However, if you would rather have the BO package, or some of the other options that are available only on the 2018... I would highly recommend ordering and being patient. While getting a vehicle sooner has its short lived benefits. Getting a vehicle in this price range that is not just the way you want it is not worth a couple months of time. If the 2017 is perfect in your mind do it. If you would rather some options the 2017 doesn't have. Custom order, and be patient. The wait can be hard, but it is totally worth it, in fact many would argue that the wait and process is a big part of the experience. Those who cut corners often wish they hadn't. We have many members here who are scrambling to get any car, any color, with any options without any scrutiny, just to have it quickly. Those individuals are likely the first to be unhappy with their purchase as they did not get exactly what they wanted.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 2017 Now or 2018 Later? That is the Question

"Getting a vehicle in this price range that is not just the way you want it is not worth a couple months of time. If the 2017 is perfect in your mind do it. If you would rather some options the 2017 doesn't have. Custom order, and be patient. The wait can be hard, but it is totally worth it"

I completely agree and in fact, that's what I'm doing ... waiting for the August allocation (any day) from the dealership so I can order the 2018 exactly the way I want it and NOT what they currently have on the lot. It's a 2018 Daytona Gray RS3 but doesn't have the dynamic package (big mistake IMO) and has the driver's assistance package which I don't want. They will also be getting in a Catalunya Red 2017 RS3 (eventually) with dynamic package and almost everything I would want (but not exactly) but the RED was TOO ORANGEish for me (definitely not the red I saw in all of the YouTube videos which I really liked with the BO option)! Now I will consider myself extremely fortunate if I receive it by Christmas but I love what I'm driving now so the wait isn't that big of an issue for me.

The only difference I'm aware of for differences between 2017 & 2018 is the cast iron engine (17) versus the aluminum alloy engine (18) which represents about a 55+ lbs reduction in engine weight which is always good for an engine mounted slightly in front of the front axle. But if it's configured the way you want, and don't want to wait go and ahead and get it now and enjoy it. At least when you sell it, you mileage will be lower per se (on average) given the year of the car. LOL Definitely a tough call and a very personal one. Please let us know what you decide.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just to clarify that last comment about the engine block material , the block in the 2017 and 2018 are the same, it is the new aluminum block in both.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by russbert
The only difference I'm aware of for differences between 2017 & 2018 is the cast iron engine (17) versus the aluminum alloy engine (18) which represents about a 55+ lbs reduction in engine weight which is always good for an engine mounted slightly in front of the front axle. But if it's configured the way you want, and don't want to wait go and ahead and get it now and enjoy it. At least when you sell it, you mileage will be lower per se (on average) given the year of the car. LOL Definitely a tough call and a very personal one. Please let us know what you decide.
This is not a difference. Both 2017 and 2018 have the same aluminum block. The cars are, literally, identical except that the 2017s come with a preconfigured set of option packages and the 2018s have all options available.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks guys for the quick correction; it's appreciated (and nice to know). :-)

Quick Reply: 2017 RS3 or 2018 RS3