Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models
Old 07-29-2016, 10:25 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

A3 MMI Nav Update Available

Old 10-04-2014, 10:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A3 MMI Nav Update Available

Hey All, In case you didn't get the email from Audi, there is an update available for the MMI Navigation System. Funny, but while they say there is an update available, they do not have any instructions on how to actually perform the update.
These instructions were written using a Windows 7 64-bit system and Internet Explorer 11 for the update. You will also need Java installed, which can be downloaded from here, if you don't already have it java.com: Java + You

Materials needed:
- An SD card with at least 15gb free space, formatted FAT16. I just snagged one out of an SLR camera, and it was already formatted FAT16.
(I think you could also use a thumb/flash drive, and plug it in the USB port in the center console, but since I used the SD card method, that's how these instructions are written)
- A computer with an SD card reader
- Your car VIN number (if you haven't already registered with my.audi.com)

The link below is for US customers. For other countries, click on Country Selection at the top of the page.

1. Plug in your SD card in to the reader, and make sure it has at least 15gb free space. (in My Computer or Windows Explorer, right click on the SD drive and click Properties)
2. Go to https://my.audi.com/content/us/myaudi/en/home.html
3. Login to the site. (if you don't already have an account on this site, you will need your VIN to create one)
4. Under the picture of your car, click on the "To Service" link in the Map Update section.
5. I just selected the Complete Package rather than going through and picking several different areas of the country. MUCH easier. Click Prepare Package.
6. Save the file to a location you will be able to find later.
7. Go to that location and click on the file you just downloaded. It will start Java and go a through a series of checks on the file.
8. Confirm that you want to run the application.
9. It will ask you for the location where you would like to put the download. Select the root of the SD card and click Open.
10. The download is over 15gb, so, depending on the speed of your internet, it can take quite awhile to download. Mine took over 30 minutes.
11. After the download completes, it will give you a message that it is done.
12. Eject the card.
13. In your A3, open the glove box and you will see your CD drive and a couple SD card readers. Insert the SD card. Turn on your system. If you don't know, you can turn on the "Accessories" without starting the car - With the key fob in the car, keep your foot off the brake peddle and press the Start button quickly.
14. Hit the Menu button on the center console.
15. Select Setup MMI
16. Select System Update
17. Select Source, then Select the SD card location you inserted the card in to. It should be the only item not grayed out.
18. It says that you can use the system while the update is running, but I really think it would be best to just leave it alone while the update uploads to the car.
19. The upgrade will take at least 30 minutes. Note that there is a new icon in the lower bar of your MMI display....it looks like a SD card with an arrow pointing to a little picture of your car, with a status bar.
20. When it is done, I can't remember now, but I think that it stated that the update was complete. And the status bar at the bottom was gone.

I haven't used the system yet, so I'm not exactly sure what was updated.

Last edited by shadow999; 10-04-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

This is just a map update. I do not think it is a firmware update.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did update but Nav still doesn't see a road that was completed more than one year ago. Every time I use my home as destination and go on that road (since it is a shorter drive) it tells me to make a U-turn before driving onto new road. Then the Nav stops communicating until I leave the new section. Another issue: Last night when driving to a restaurant it landed me at a place more than 1/2 mile from the destination address. I double checked my destination address and it was correct for the restaurant. Streets in that area have combinations of N,S,E,W and St and Ave for the same number, viz 1st Av, NE, 1st St SW, etc, and somehow the Nav was befuddled. (Can't say I blame it.)
Old 10-12-2014, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does anyone know if we can get the Dealership to do the update when we bring the A3/S3 in for the first service?
Old 10-12-2014, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I think it will cost $$$.

You can download the update from the A3/S3 itself. This should not be an issue since 4g data is unlimited during 6 month trial. Check the Audi Connect manual.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
I think it will cost $$$.

You can download the update from the A3/S3 itself. This should not be an issue since 4g data is unlimited during 6 month trial. Check the Audi Connect manual.
Are you sure that the data is unlimited during that first 6 months?
Old 10-13-2014, 06:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

SFRider: Nothing much you can do about it, I'm afraid. Every navigation system I've seen has issues like that. Although, usually, Google Maps is pretty good about it, but I have seen issues even on Google Maps with rural areas.

aru4ic and Dennis: Yes, you can have the dealership perform the update, but it will cost you money, of course. And you can download the update directly on the A3, but considering the 14gb update took over half an hour to download over my 50mb/s internet connection, I cannot even begin to imagine how long it would take over a 4g connection. Days? Weeks?
But you are correct, the initial 6 months is unlimited data.
aru4ic, I provided the instructions to show just how easy it is to do on your own. There really were no gotchas or problems.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

If you don't travel all over the US, you can choose to download by regions in myaudi website. In that way, file size ia smaller and update takes 10 mins.

Last edited by YuiS3; 10-13-2014 at 07:05 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Shadow999: Yes, it is frustrating especially since the new road not available on the Nav is shown on the Google map at "Destination Entry via Google Maps" in My Audi.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default I've downloaded the map update put it on SD card not working

Hello I went to my Audi.come
I logged in went to Map Update downloaded the update to my sd card which is 32 gigabyte I formatted it to fat32 and it would not install because it's limited to two gigabytes only so I tried fat32 again and extracted the files and then I was able to put the files on SD card put it into the cars sd card went to MMI setup I went to update it and it said no files found I tried formatting it to NTFS try to that way did not work I also here try to format it to fat16 but that won't be possible because you can't put no more than two gigabytes on a fat16 format.
Also do I need to change the. Zip to something else what am i doing wrong why is this not working I've got a 32 gigabyte SD card please help anybody thank you

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A3 MMI Nav Update Available