Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

A3-S3 Insurance Rates

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 12:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A3-S3 Insurance Rates

Has anyone been able to find out the difference in insurance between the A3 and S3?

I expect it to cost more, but I'll be a bit blown away if my premium increases 40% or even 30% for that matter.

The difference between an A4 and S4 looks like its about 40-50% more in Premium, but the engine is a different size and configuration. I was able to get an estimated rate for the A3 which was about on par with a GTI (maybe 3% higher due to purchase price)

Thoughts?
Old 08-02-2014, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thalaron
Has anyone been able to find out the difference in insurance between the A3 and S3?

I expect it to cost more, but I'll be a bit blown away if my premium increases 40% or even 30% for that matter.

The difference between an A4 and S4 looks like its about 40-50% more in Premium, but the engine is a different size and configuration. I was able to get an estimated rate for the A3 which was about on par with a GTI (maybe 3% higher due to purchase price)

Thoughts?
If insurance is an issue you can't afford the car. I never price insurance as it would **** me off. I drive what I want and pay what it takes. I would be concerned if I was pricing this for my 19 year old son. Good luck anyway with your car.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by seinsmeld13
If insurance is an issue you can't afford the car. I never price insurance as it would **** me off. I drive what I want and pay what it takes. I would be concerned if I was pricing this for my 19 year old son. Good luck anyway with your car.
The question of affordability is different for each of us I suspect. For me all my income and assets are fungible. I do not have a dedicated amount of income for cars, for housing, etc. So, for me a penny saved in one of life’s areas of spending can either be saved for the proverbial rainy day or spent on something else. If I can save $500 a year on car insurance I might go to a couple of additional sports events, for example.
I do of course have a budget, but to me that is only a guideline and I usually wind up with a surplus at the end of the week, month or year.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I think what this nice person is trying to ask is if the difference between an A3 and S3 is significant. When I got an insurance quote for a WRX is was almost $3k/yr, but my GTI insurance was $1,400/yr. I can do with an extra $1,600/yr
Old 08-04-2014, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by thalaron

Thoughts?
All depends on your insurer and your risk.

I wanted to get quotes for A3 vs S3. Agent couldn't get premium for 2015 without VIN's. I asked for 2014 A4 vs S4.

The response was: "It you were to replace the 2011 Audi A4 (current car) with a 2014 Audi A4 it would be approximately an additional $350.00 a year. To replace the 2011 Audi with a 2014 Audi S4 it would be approximately an additional $387.00 a year."

I currently pay about $900 for the 2011 A4. So I am very pleased with these numbers and would go ahead with S3 assuming it should be no different than a S4.

FWIW.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm used to paying Lancer Evolution insurance rates. So I'm expecting the S3 to be a little cheaper for me.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The cost of the insurance isn't a deal breaker, but as other has said, if money were not object what so ever. Money not spent on insurance could be spent on something fancy for my house/family/savings/retirement. If you didn't have a budget, why would you be buying a s3... and not a s4/s6 or something along those lines? I'm paying for this car outright, and money is not a big deal, but having a revolving expense that is 1000 more a year adds up pretty quickly over time. (4000 over the course of 4 years that you'll never get back) Also I managed to get a true quote for the s3 based on a VIN and (for me) its 300 more a year than the comparably equipped A3, which was only 100 more a year than my 4 year old GTI.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Personally I'm getting a little tired of the pompous comment "If you have to ask how much, you can't afford it". It comes up all too frequently whenever people are trying to research and make wise investments.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm paying $3200 per year which is way too much. I have zero tickets and I'm 1000 years old. Is my neighborhood that bad? Looking at the prices that others are paying here is cause for concern. Insurance has gone up $800 since I got the car in nov 2014 and I had no claims and no accidents. I'm getting rid of the car in march. I'm paying way too much for insurance. Not worth it.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoonie G
I'm paying $3200 per year which is way too much. I have zero tickets and I'm 1000 years old. Is my neighborhood that bad? Looking at the prices that others are paying here is cause for concern. Insurance has gone up $800 since I got the car in nov 2014 and I had no claims and no accidents. I'm getting rid of the car in march. I'm paying way too much for insurance. Not worth it.
Damn, where do you live? I've heard insurance rates also really depend on where you live. Northeastern US (ex Boston) is supposedly quite high compared to some other places due to weather. I believe it also has to do of course with your driving history and how you intend to use the car. How many miles each day are you driving it to work (assuming it's your daily driver), whether it's garaged and yes perhaps your neighborhood crime rates, etc.

Quick Reply: A3-S3 Insurance Rates