AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a3-s3-rs-3-mkii-209/)
-   -   Activating Ejection Seat - wait what? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a3-s3-rs-3-mkii-209/activating-ejection-seat-wait-what-2931796/)

arU4ic 09-03-2017 10:08 PM

Activating Ejection Seat - wait what?

1 Attachment(s)
This was seriously listed in VCDS... thinking its a joke, but sure some super-tech out there will tell us its real and ruin the joke.

russbert 09-04-2017 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by arU4ic (Post 25032455)
This was seriously listed in VCDS... thinking its a joke, but sure some super-tech out there will tell us its real and ruin the joke.

So is there a RED button underneath the gear level knob that none of us knew about? ;-) LOL

Fixeroh 09-07-2017 04:39 AM

Too funny!!! Or not?

In a sort sick but funny ejection seat story, I recall from my active duty USAF days when an aircraft tech was working on an F-15 C inside a hanger on a base in Germany. Apparently the ACES ejection seat wasn't pinned properly after the previous flight. Tech was working in the cockpit when he somehow managed to activate and fire the seat. He and the seat went into hanger ceiling. Not pretty. Moral of the story? Be sure NOT to be inside a parking garage when you fire that seat!!

arU4ic 09-07-2017 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Fixeroh (Post 25033980)
Too funny!!! Or not?

In a sort sick but funny ejection seat story, I recall from my active duty USAF days when an aircraft tech was working on an F-15 C inside a hanger on a base in Germany. Apparently the ACES ejection seat wasn't pinned properly after the previous flight. Tech was working in the cockpit when he somehow managed to activate and fire the seat. He and the seat went into hanger ceiling. Not pretty. Moral of the story? Be sure NOT to be inside a parking garage when you fire that seat!!

lol ouch... I know I'll buy it one day, but hopefully I don't embarrass myself on my way out - I'm thinking jumping out of a c130 over the alps in a squirrel suit with a mouthful of bacon holding a goPro.

Nachos Libres 09-08-2017 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Fixeroh (Post 25033980)
Too funny!!! Or not?

So what happened to the tech? You can't leave us hanging like that.

Fixeroh 09-11-2017 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Nachos Libres (Post 25034509)
So what happened to the tech? You can't leave us hanging like that.

Sure you're kidding but........... the ACES ejection seat is a called a zero/zero seat. Meaning it will work at a standstill in addition to at speed and altitude. With the rockets, it's supposed to push the seat with pilot at least 1500 feet from the affected aircraft. Ceiling was like 30 feet over the cockpit. Wasn't much left the tech unfortunately. And the rockets keep firing until the fuel is expended. Meaning the seat bounced around inside the hanger for several seconds. I bet that incident is still included in USAF safety briefings 30 years after the fact.

Fixeroh 09-11-2017 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by arU4ic (Post 25034443)
lol ouch... I know I'll buy it one day, but hopefully I don't embarrass myself on my way out - I'm thinking jumping out of a c130 over the alps in a squirrel suit with a mouthful of bacon holding a goPro.

Include me on that flight when you jump! Sounds like fun. LOL.

My wife is currently miffed at me for joking about 'buying it'. I currently work in foreign military sales for the USAF. Help other countries maintain aircraft they purchase from the US government. My biggest current customer country is India. Going there for about 3 weeks in October. New base northwest of Kolkata in eastern India. Safety brief for work on the base stated, 'can be trampled by an elephant, eaten by a tiger, or bitten by a cobra'. How cool is that??!!! What a way to go! Tiger fight!! Wife did not find it amusing. LOL

Nachos Libres 09-11-2017 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Fixeroh (Post 25035770)
Sure you're kidding but........... the ACES ejection seat is a called a zero/zero seat. Meaning it will work at a standstill in addition to at speed and altitude. With the rockets, it's supposed to push the seat with pilot at least 1500 feet from the affected aircraft. Ceiling was like 30 feet over the cockpit. Wasn't much left the tech unfortunately. And the rockets keep firing until the fuel is expended. Meaning the seat bounced around inside the hanger for several seconds. I bet that incident is still included in USAF safety briefings 30 years after the fact.

Well, I assumed, but crazier things have happened. Thanks for the update. :)

arU4ic 09-14-2017 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Fixeroh (Post 25035773)
Include me on that flight when you jump! Sounds like fun. LOL.

My wife is currently miffed at me for joking about 'buying it'. I currently work in foreign military sales for the USAF. Help other countries maintain aircraft they purchase from the US government. My biggest current customer country is India. Going there for about 3 weeks in October. New base northwest of Kolkata in eastern India. Safety brief for work on the base stated, 'can be trampled by an elephant, eaten by a tiger, or bitten by a cobra'. How cool is that??!!! What a way to go! Tiger fight!! Wife did not find it amusing. LOL

lol - my wife hates it too - I raced bikes (Ducatis) she hated every minute of it - gotta buy it one day - I'd want my friends to HEAR I fought a Tiger and lost, but would prefer a cobra bite. ;)

Fixeroh 09-15-2017 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by arU4ic (Post 25037530)
lol - my wife hates it too - I raced bikes (Ducatis) she hated every minute of it - gotta buy it one day - I'd want my friends to HEAR I fought a Tiger and lost, but would prefer a cobra bite. ;)

Racing motorcycles is some serious stuff. Bet it was a blast. Never been a motorcycle person myself. Love my people powered road bike however. I did some kart racing when stationed in Germany. A dear German friend owned a kart team and I drove part time. That was 25+ years ago now. I do my racing virtually now; iRacing for example. I geek out over high end computer gaming rigs and driving sims. Wayyyyy safer than actually being out there and still have a good time. My wife tolerates it as I won't get hurt and I'm in the house the entire time. There is some awesome computer hardware available these days and the sims are uber realisitic. Won't get the same sensation as laying your Ducati down and tapping the ground with your knee however.