Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Advice: A3 2.0T Prestige with Advanced Tech Package or S3 Prestige w/o Tech Package?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice: A3 2.0T Prestige with Advanced Tech Package or S3 Prestige w/o Tech Package?

Totaled my last car and in urgent need of a new one. Stopped in at a dealer offering me 6% below MSRP (despite no ACNA membership, since this will be my first Audi... is this good?) on either the A3 2.0T Prestige with Advanced Tech Package or S3 Prestige without any further options.

I really wanted an S3 with the advanced tech package (adaptive cruise, lane assist, etc.) but they don't have one in stock or nearby and I need a car ASAP. So now I'm between the A3 Prestige with the gadgets and the S3 Prestige without.

Any guidance from people who have experience with the tech package whether it's worth missing out on the S3 for or how useful it really is?

Thanks!
Old 02-24-2015, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default S3 all the way, unless you really need adaptive cruise/presense/active lane asst

in exchange for giving that up, you get a MUCH better performing, better-looking, and otherwise better-equpped car in the S3
Old 02-24-2015, 10:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob W.
in exchange for giving that up, you get a MUCH better performing, better-looking, and otherwise better-equpped car in the S3
When you drive your S3 you will simply not care about those options, I promise. The S3 is another in a whole different class. The A3 is amazing but passing on an S3 for adaptive cruise, lane assist, etc makes no sense IMO. If you want to save the money, that's another reason, but you didn't mention that. ;o)

Also, welcome to the Audi family!

6% is pretty good for an S3.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

FWIW, I had 3 dealers in a 200 mile radius offering at least 6% under. Feb is a good month to buy.

<edit> and I'm not a ACNA member.

Last edited by Bob W.; 02-24-2015 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What? An S3 Prestige you say? that should have most of all the gadgets.

It be different if you were undecided between an A3 Prestige and a S3 Premium Plus.

The decision is pretty obvious from above if money is no object to you.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

I ordered my Prestige S3 fully loaded but if I had to delete one thing, I would sacrifice the tech package (only if were playing the game of have to)

The only thing I would really miss and the reason I ordered it for the $1,400 was for the frontal collision warning. My current car has it and lets just say it works great!
Old 02-25-2015, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

I ordered my Prestige with Performance package and left off the Advanced Tech package. I take delivery Thursday. Whatever way do it, you will love it. I like gadgets, but I decided to pass on the Nanny package.

Last edited by mikele; 02-25-2015 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mikele
Nanny package.
Excluding frontal collision warning.

None of us are perfect and I love this feature. Also adds additional safety features to the pre sense basic.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I had the front radar/advance tech package on my 2013 S6. Driving around the suburbs of Washington DC, the front radar made the cruise control useless and dangerous. On the DC beltway, people change lanes all of the time in front of you. They are going faster than you, and it's not a big deal. However, if your cruise control is engaged, the car slams on its brakes, making it dangerous and annoying for the guy behind you.

One of the reasons I sold the S6 was because I hated how intrusive the the radar based cruise control was, even with the following distance set to the minimum. It was not possible to turn off the radar for the cruise control, and operate it like a standard cruise control.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Fairfax 4.0T
I had the front radar/advance tech package on my 2013 S6. Driving around the suburbs of Washington DC, the front radar made the cruise control useless and dangerous. On the DC beltway, people change lanes all of the time in front of you. They are going faster than you, and it's not a big deal. However, if your cruise control is engaged, the car slams on its brakes, making it dangerous and annoying for the guy behind you.

One of the reasons I sold the S6 was because I hated how intrusive the the radar based cruise control was, even with the following distance set to the minimum. It was not possible to turn off the radar for the cruise control, and operate it like a standard cruise control.
I understand what you are saying and experienced. One workaround to this problem is lightly touching the accelerator when you see this event occurring. You are overriding the ACC and the vehicle will not react. Once the as**ole is out of distance, take your foot off the accelerator and the ACC will resume to normal.

Quick Reply: Advice: A3 2.0T Prestige with Advanced Tech Package or S3 Prestige w/o Tech Package?