Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Android Auto/Google Maps Doesn't Work - Who Knew?

Old 03-22-2017, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Android Auto/Google Maps Doesn't Work - Who Knew?

Well, I didn't when I bought an A3 yesterday.

Apparently, there is a large number of owners that do know about this and have been vocal about it. But, they've gotten nowhere.

The problem is that when using Android Auto, you cannot use Google Maps. Everything appears to be fine: your Google map is properly displayed, all of the map tools are there, but the arrow representing your position on the map is pointed backwards - 180 degrees in the wrong direction - and the spoken navigation thinks you are therefore moving in the opposite direction, constantly telling you to turn around when you are actually traveling on the correct route. WTF?

Like a lot of other owners, I purchased the Convenience Package just so that I can use the MMI as advertised - I want to see Google Maps on the dash screen and hear navigation. But it doesn't work for anyone, as far as I can tell.

This has been a known issue since Oct 2916. There is no confirmed target date that we can expect resolution. Audi says Google is responsible, Google says Audi is at fault. The result is that nothing is getting done. Google says that they are aware of it. No other status.

I am admittedly new to all of this and am still investigating the exact status of this issue.
If it's something I paid for, and didn't get, I will have a problem with that.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I use Android Auto with Google Maps almost daily. 2017 S3, but should be an identical system as yours. Using a Google Pixel XL with no issues. I also stream Audible during my entire commute.

I haven't received any special updates or installations to my knowledge, and it worked straight from the dealership. I've never experienced the problem you describe.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Just read more about this - appears to affect A3s without Nav, which is why mine works (with Nav) and yours doesn't.

Looks like there might be a fix if you have access to a VAG-COM cable to force the car to use external GPS:
https://productforums.google.com/for...to/9x29DwHVlW8

That being said, Audi is promising a fix by summer.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

he46570:
Thanks for the response!
Yes, I am all over that Google Product Forum and other forums as well. Prior to your second post, I was going to ask for an a/b comparison of our A3's but you already put your finger on the probable operative difference - Nav/No Nav.

When surveying all of the places where A3 owners have complained about this issue, a number of things emerge:

- There's a lot of owners that expected Google Maps navigation to work as advertised - they paid for that, haven't gotten it.

- There is no one confirmed response from Audi or Google - it's all over the map (no pun), with some being told a near-term fix is eminent, beginning of Summer, end of Summer, and no confirmed target date.

- The owners don't seem to have a focus as a consumer group with an issue to resolve. We paid for something that is broken, Audi and/or Google is not responding in a consistent, responsible manner.

I intend to dig deeper, and I hope to find confidence in a response from Audi and/or Google on this. I am totally willing to wait on a confirmed date for a fix that comes from a reliable source.

If that doesn't occur, we'll need a focused aggregate consumer voice to ensure Audi/Google addresses this, and I'll do my best to work with other owners to make that happen.

Bottom line: I love this car - it's awesome. But, Audi needs to own this new tech space that their automobiles have moved into. Needed fixes that take forever or get ignored might have been typical back in the day in the automobile industry, but we are in a different product space now, and we expect tech issues to be resolved with our cars in a responsible and timely manner, just as with our smartphones and laptops.

Thanks again for your informative response!
Old 03-23-2017, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

You're welcome, Billy.

I feel passionately about Android Auto - it was a significant reason why I bought the car, and I was specifically looking for a sporty sedan with Android Auto integration. With a 40 minute commute each way, and variable traffic patterns, I rely on technology nearly all the time when I drive.

I too would be extremely frustrated if this were not working. I'm guessing there is a software error when using Android Auto where the car's internal GPS inverts the car's direction. Sounds like it could be an easy software fix, but this is something that should have been better tested at the factory (since so many are complaining about it) and they should be expediting a fix, alongside some reasonable compensation.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

I emailed Audi yesterday, and will call today.

I will also email the Mgt of my local Audi dealership in the event they can assist. To be clear, my dealership is wonderful - great people - and I love the car. It's Audi America that needs to address this issue.

Granted, viewing Google Maps and using navigation via Android Auto is not the most critical function my A3 provides. It's an amazing car overall! But, there is a large group of A3 owners that purchased a $1k package specifically to use this well-advertised function - and no one with a 2017 A3 like mine can get this to work.

So, I think it's very clear:
- Give us a confirmed date for the fix, with the promise of full reimbursement if this date is not met
- Give us the reimbursement now, because Audi is uncertain of the fix date

Thankfully, those of us who are active on social media channels - and it appears there's a lot of us A3 owners - can band together to make it very public to potential A3 buyers that this issue exists, and to NOT purchase this package, as it doesn't work. Or, maybe just purchase a different brand auto that can provide basic navigation.

Hopefully Audi will realize that they need to operate in a responsible, legal manner, and will deal with us A3 owners in a fair and reasonable way.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Update...

I spoke with Audi America today and I was escalated from the Audi product expert to the Technology Team.

The Tech resource I talked with was already aware of this issue, but I still detailed the issue from my perspective, how a software change as minor as this ought not to be a one year endeavor, and how it's downright unfair to expect customers to pay $1k for a product that's broken with no definitive fix date. The Tech asked what I want, and I said that if there is no future date that Audi can offer (this opens the door for Audi to never address this issue) that reimbursement for the cost of the convenience package would be expected, not just for me, but for all affected A3 owners. The Tech was courteous and indicated that she will bring it to her management and will call me next week with an answer.

I'll report back when I hear from Audi.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here's a link to the updated thread on the Android Auto site.

https://productforums.google.com/for...to/9x29DwHVlW8

I intend to chase this.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks billyjik....same issue on my S3. Audi Canada not of much help to address this issue either. In fact the dealer and Audi customer service were not aware of the issue or so they say.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Audi USA knows all about this issue - they've admitted that to me. But, this just isn't a high enough priority for them to commit to a fix - yet.

I want to see if they respond this week as promised.
If not, there are ways to get their attention and to ensure that they do the right thing by their customers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Android Auto/Google Maps Doesn't Work - Who Knew?