Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Android Auto/Google Maps Doesn't Work - Who Knew?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

19hole that is a wee bit off base. As owners ordered the FL S3 with the assumption it would work as the Android auto was a feature of the FL model and Audi do not apparently have issues with that feature on other models. You are sort of saying that if a manufacturer offers a feature that does not work, it was the buyers fault and not the manufacturer.
Did you test your vehicle to see if the airbags work, prior to purchasing the vehicle?
Please note that there were no FL models to test drive when I ordered mine.

Last edited by Flying Scotsman; 05-08-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On-point, Flying Scotsman.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

There's some good news on this front:

As of today, 5/13, it was Google that resolved this issue with an update to Maps Beta. There was a new push of Android Auto almost at the exact same time, so maybe there's some involvement with that app as well.

While this is very welcomed good news, it's important to know:

1. It's Audi that has the wrong settings in their A3 firmware that caused this problem - Google provided a software "work-around" in a good-will effort for users of their Android Auto software. This is an example of excellent user support by Google.

2. From every perspective, Audi was irresponsible in their handling of this issue. Here's the evidence:

-- Audi USA knew about this problem early on, but offered the same "We have no idea/Never heard of this problem" response to everyone that called into their Customer Care line, sent an email, or posted on their Facebook page. Some of us connected deeper inside Audi with their Tech Team, and they admitted they knew full well about the issue.

-- Knowing that that dealers are advertising and promoting the use of Android Auto, and charging customers for an Audi integration feature that will not work in any A3 without the installed Nav unit, Audi never stood by their customers with a commitment to fix the problem within any known timeframe. This is beyond bad customer service, it's quite illegal, and A3 users were beginning talks to mount a class-action suit against Audi - and we all know that VAG does not need further evidence in the public eye of dishonest business dealings with their customers.

-- While Audi USA knew about this problem, they never provided any information to Dealers. Every dealer that was approached by A3 owners nationwide provided the same response to customers: "We have no idea/Never heard of this problem".

-- Audi was provided with the specific settings that need to be changed in their firmware - they are known, specified and tested - and simple to do. Further, A3 owners can purchase an OBD cable and software, and do these settings themselves - but at potential risk to warranty coverage.

-- Some A3 owners have already received compensation from Audi for the inconvenience of this issue, or to ensure some level of customer satisfaction, while others that reported their issues have received no compensation.

In being vocal about this issue and getting involved with other A3 owners nationwide, it was very apparent to me while owners are happy with their A3's, they are very disappointed/frustrated with the Audi organization. Like other owners, I too love my A3, and like others, I may think twice about doing business with Audi in the future. Knowing that my car manufacturer is interested in my ownership experience is far too important to me to overlook, and I've come to expect that from having owned brands such as Acura/Honda and Toyota over the years.

Last edited by billyjk; 05-13-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by billyjk
There's some good news on this front:

In being vocal about this issue and getting involved with other A3 owners nationwide, it was very apparent to me while owners are happy with their A3's, they are very disappointed/frustrated with the Audi organization. Like other owners, I too love my A3, and like others, I may think twice about doing business with Audi in the future. Knowing that my car manufacturer is interested in my ownership experience is far too important to me to overlook, and I've come to expect that from having owned brands such as Acura/Honda and Toyota over the years.
Really? You'd rather own and drive a Honda or Toyota because they treat you better? I have plenty of experience and have friends and colleagues that have been treated like s*** by both of these brands. It's usually the dealer that makes a big difference. If you'd prefer to drive a bland and boring vehicle, go for it.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Timmay
Really? You'd rather own and drive a Honda or Toyota because they treat you better? I have plenty of experience and have friends and colleagues that have been treated like s*** by both of these brands. It's usually the dealer that makes a big difference. If you'd prefer to drive a bland and boring vehicle, go for it.
I'll pass on the pissing contest over brands.

For me, customer experience is an important part of the equation when buying a car. And, I totally understand and appreciate that it may not matter as much to others. I am ok with that.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by billyjk
I'll pass on the pissing contest over brands.

For me, customer experience is an important part of the equation when buying a car. And, I totally understand and appreciate that it may not matter as much to others. I am ok with that.
You might be slightly misunderstanding my point. Also, you said you love your A3. Would you love a Civic or Accord? As I said, I know a lot of people that were not treated well by the brands you mentioned and it is often times the experience with the particular dealer as well. You're on an Audi forum suggesting you may not buy another Audi because of your experience. Just expect there to be other points of view or perspectives. I have owned a few Audi cars and I've never had a bad experience and have been treated really well and that spans several dealerships in a few different States.

This was not a pissing contest remark just so you know.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the clarification Tim.

Agreed, I like my A3 better than my Honda Civic, although that's not a totally balanced comparison. But I loved my Acura MDX just as much as my A3 (totally different vehicle - I get that) and speaking only from my experience, Acura was nothing short of brilliant to work with. That customer experience contributed to why I bought a number of Acuras over the years.

I fully realize that I am on a (really good) Audi forum, and I totally appreciate that others here may love the customer experience they get from Audi. Clearly, this wasn't my experience, nor that of lots of A3 owners nationwide with this specific issue. Maybe that'll change over time. We'll see.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

No worries billyjk.

Hopefully in the end you and other A3 owners will get the solution you're hoping for. Cheers and good luck.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Just a reminder to keep the discussion civil.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You got it! I think we're all good

Quick Reply: Android Auto/Google Maps Doesn't Work - Who Knew?