Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Android Auto voice command

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Android Auto voice command

OK, I'm an idiot, but how do you use voice command in Android Auto? I'm just starting to play with Google Maps and Waze and I can't figure out how to get it to accept voice command entries. Every time I press the voice command button on the steering wheel, the Audi Nav voice command entry pops up. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Long press (press the voice control button and hold it down) to summon the Google Assistant.

Short press=Audi voice commands
Long press=Google Assistant

Old 09-23-2018, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

.... or you can press the right "shoulder" button next to the MMI controller which does the same thing faster without any chance of getting the cruddy Audi voice instead. Also, if you have the proper setting on in Android Auto, "ok Google" will also work.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

I must be doing something wrong. Voice command button short press brings up Audi voice commands as expected. Nothing happens on long press. My Samsung note 8 Android Auto also has "ok Google" enabled, but that doesn't work when attached to the car's USB and Android Auto is running. I'll try the right "shoulder" button to see if that works. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by XMetal00
I must be doing something wrong. Voice command button short press brings up Audi voice commands as expected. Nothing happens on long press. My Samsung note 8 Android Auto also has "ok Google" enabled, but that doesn't work when attached to the car's USB and Android Auto is running. I'll try the right "shoulder" button to see if that works. Thanks.
A couple of questions / notes:
--> Does Android Auto show a line thru the mic when you look on the car screen upper right? If so, Assistant is unavailable / not set up

--> Re "ok Google", have you used this when not in the car with the phone and it works? If so, run Android Auto not in your car, and go into its settings (left panel, Settings). Select "OK Google detection". Then on the next screen, make sure to select the "While driving" option. You should also make sure you've trained Google to recognize your voice. (see below)

--> Right shoulder button should work if Assistant is set up, just press it once and let go and Assistant should pop up

--> In contrast, steering wheel voice button requires you to hold it down for about 2 secs. If you just press it and release it you'll get the Audi voice recognition

Old 09-23-2018, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for all the help - very much appreciated!
Re-installing Google app solved the problem. Weird that there was no line through the mic, which means that Assistant was available. Anyway...all modes (Right shoulder button, steering wheel voice button, and "ok Google") work perfectly now. Thanks again for taking the time out to compose such a helpful response!

Originally Posted by scoopman
A couple of questions / notes:
--> Does Android Auto show a line thru the mic when you look on the car screen upper right? If so, Assistant is unavailable / not set up

--> Re "ok Google", have you used this when not in the car with the phone and it works? If so, run Android Auto not in your car, and go into its settings (left panel, Settings). Select "OK Google detection". Then on the next screen, make sure to select the "While driving" option. You should also make sure you've trained Google to recognize your voice. (see below)

--> Right shoulder button should work if Assistant is set up, just press it once and let go and Assistant should pop up

--> In contrast, steering wheel voice button requires you to hold it down for about 2 secs. If you just press it and release it you'll get the Audi voice recognition