Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models
Old 07-29-2016, 09:36 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Anyone use this Android screen replacement in their A3?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 08:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's awesome!! Looking forward to hearing the results!
Old 12-21-2014, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Starting the install now! The screen is pretty finicky to get in properly as the additional cable can prevent the screen from closing all the way. It's now working as expected, but just had to get the LVDS cable in perfect location.

New Touchscreen installed

Testing it out in the house. Works well and have the system all setup to run when fully installed into the car.

Waiting for the touchpad dial to come in the mail!

Have the pieces to hopefully turn this into a standard touchpad USB mouse.

More to come soon.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Ours fingers are crossed... Good luck.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have the system fully installed and is 90% fully functional. There are some adjustments that I want to do (not using the voice module and connect directly via 3.5mm jack to control volume with car controls). I want to use a longer USB cable to put the wifi dongle at the top of the windshield in hopes of getting better wifi signal (when parked in my car port).

Also have a few additional parts on order to make this work to my liking (and not make permanent modifications to the car).
Fuse adapter for 12Volt power, Bluetooth Adapter (hopefully this is compatible), right angle 3.5mm jack stereo splitter.

The touchpad dial looks like it will be delivered tomorrow as well so I can start playing with that to make into a USB mouse - hopefully. I've been downloading various gesture control apps that will allow me to swipe right to forward track, swipe left to back track, swipe up for google now and swipe down to toggle between apps.

Will have some additional vids/pictures up when 100% functional so I can write up the review properly!! Stay tuned.

Put the microphone (on right) in the stock location in the headliner.

Whatever you do! Do not pull out the yellow cable (knee airbag) and turn on the car as you will be stuck with an Airbag error code! Luckily I was renting the VCDS this week to clear it!

In the installation video from the company, it doesn't show, but the US cars have a screw holding down the side pillar covers. These are NOT easy to take off.

The black wire behind the aluminum bracket was the death of me! You have to get the cable in the right spot in order for the screen to not bind and close/open properly. The Video has the wire snaked differently.

Last edited by mroberte; 12-28-2014 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any good news on it

I am thinking about doing it too at one point..
Old 01-07-2015, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Stay tuned!! All installed and working great, just waiting on one last piece to integrate all the steering wheel buttons to control everything so I literally never have to touch the screen. Hoping it comes in by Friday so it can all be done. I'll post a video soon after that :-P

Unfortunately I was unable to get the touchpad working as I was hoping, I just could not find the pinout information and took it all apart to find the X+ X- Y- Y+ pins with no luck. This seems to be controlled via a microprocessor directly on the touchpad which I have no clue about. I still would like to get this implemented at some point tho - just have to wait for some 8V wiring schematics to come out.

This literally trumps the factory MMI with Audi Connect anyday, even with the pending Android Auto (tho this would be a great update when it happens). Will try to get additional information from the manufacturer if/when this happens.

I'm going to try and start a group buy too so keep you posted with that information as well!

Last edited by mroberte; 01-07-2015 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is just the coolest, most sensible crazy mod I've ever seen. Love it!

Wish I had the time to do it, oh and wish I had not leased.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

An update - installed however will be moving the Wifi dongle closer to the roof/mirror area to get better reception in my driveway. Will be moving GPS antenna near the front passenger pillar airbag so you can't see it. Currently found some apps that will do some automated tasks when the car turns on to start music and navigation. Use a screen dimmer that is scheduled to dim for night/day mode. Will go into detail when I make a newer proper video. Using Google Now Launcher as the recent update now allows "Okay Google" command to activate in all screens. I need to move the microphone however as having in its current location (nearest to passenger) pics up too much noise. Looking for a better noise cancellation microphone.

Old 02-15-2015, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Update #2:

Got a new device that coverts the steering wheel canbus signals into something usable, however its pretty limited. The only signals that are being picked up are vol+ vol- (same thing) and mute. The box won't register any other key press so thats pretty disappointing thus far. I have the box hooked up to a joycon EX which then tells the android system to do something.

I have mapped vol+ as skip. vol- lowers volume. mute as switch between apps (alt + tab) and long press of mute as google search.

This actually does a good job of exactly what I wanted, however I wanted to be able to skip with the * button instead, but it will be a waiting game till some manufacturer can figure out the signals (nothing out there except this company has worked). I tried 4 steering wheel controller companies thus far.

Anyway, tomorrow I'll try and make a new video since I have the day off and then get this all written up for anyone that is interested in going this route instead of the stock system. I'm still very happy with this alternative and has been really helpful (searching/talking) with a tethered data connection from my phone.

Last edited by mroberte; 02-15-2015 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Quick Reply: Anyone use this Android screen replacement in their A3?