Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

APR Stage 1 RS3

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default APR Stage 1 RS3

Well, I went and had it done. It's about 75 more HP and 106 ft-lb torque added. There is a noticeable difference in performance as the turbo starts spooling up almost immediately with the APR tune. The throttle is more responsive as a result. APR recommends an upgrade to the inter cooler with the stage 1 and I understand why now. I'm still awaiting the release of the APR inter cooler.

Launch control: I thought the car was insanely fast before. Now the car is even faster. I don't know if it even took 3 seconds to get to 60 mph.

Conclusion: If you are on the fence, it's totally worth it! Where else are you gaining that much HP and torque for so little cost.

PS: I'm getting 1 MPG better fuel economy out of my RS3 as well after the APR stage 1!
Old 07-19-2018, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to know
Old 07-19-2018, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the update, much appreciated! What about the DSG, any improvements? Since I know what the normal launch is like, I can only imagine what yours is now like!
Old 07-19-2018, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

I also noticed that I'm getting better mileage with the Stage 1 tune. There's more growl from the exhaust when cruising in D and dipping into the throttle. I'm also finding that D is actually usable for overtaking on the freeway (though still not as fun as S or Manual).

The biggest difference is how much quicker it accelerates BUT doesn't sound like it's working any harder than it did before. I have notice the sound of the turbo spool more now with the windows down.

No difference in how the transmission shifts. In fact, I've noticed even more how HORRIBLE that S mode is at short shifting into 2nd when taking off from a stop. Can't wait to get a TCU tune in this thing.

I'll absolutely backup the comment from RS3R_X - it's totally worth it!!!
Old 07-19-2018, 11:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Good to hear that
The only thing that concerns me is what will happen with the reliability of the car in an year or two from now.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I had my RS3 ECU flashed by my closest APR rep about a week ago. And then promptly had to leave the country on business!! Can't enjoy it! But from the few miles I got to drive it before parking it in the garage, the response was much better. I will also be looking at the intercooler as it becomes available. Heat issues are obviously more noticeable int he summer months however. Sure we'll feel more power in the cooler months even without the intercooler. My logic anyway. I got a TCU tune for my S3 after I Stage I tuned that car. Made a difference. Hopefully APR will release that TCU tune soon. It's almost as expensive as an ECU tune however. Be warned.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Eran Levi
Good to hear that
The only thing that concerns me is what will happen with the reliability of the car in an year or two from now.
The other issue is dealing with Audi if god forbid you blow the motor within the warranty. If they detect you modified, you are on your own...
I don't know about the RS3, but with the GTR, to get a new engine from Nissan is only... $60k. Needless to say I left it bone stock. It'd not be surprised if Audi asked $30k for a new RS3 engine.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by zebekias
The other issue is dealing with Audi if god forbid you blow the motor within the warranty. If they detect you modified, you are on your own...
I don't know about the RS3, but with the GTR, to get a new engine from Nissan is only... $60k. Needless to say I left it bone stock. It'd not be surprised if Audi asked $30k for a new RS3 engine.
Why would you put a nissan OEM engine back in a GT-R or a stock engine back in an RS3. Can do a built engine at less than half those prices. Pay to play for sure but I doubt any one will be blowing an engine on a stg ! tune uses its severely beat on for miles and miles.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by achenator
Why would you put a nissan OEM engine back in a GT-R or a stock engine back in an RS3. Can do a built engine at less than half those prices. Pay to play for sure but I doubt any one will be blowing an engine on a stg ! tune uses its severely beat on for miles and miles.
They have APR Plus which looks to add 1,000 to the tune but they offer a warranty on the powertrain. I guess everyone hedges their bets. On my JCW my local Mini dealer is a DINAN dealer so they did the ECU upgrade so its ll them. I was hoping this APR Plus had Audi dealers on board, they do not.