Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

APR Stage 1+ tune issues.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 08:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APR Stage 1+ tune issues.

Hi all,
I had a stage 1+ APR tune done last week on my 2018 RS3, but seem to have some drivability issues since upgrading. For those who don't know what a 1+ tune is, it includes the following:
APR 1+ ECU Flash, (version 1.3); calibrated for 93 octane
APR Intercooler
APR Inlet System
The issue I'm having, is the shift points for the transmission don't seem to synchronize well with the power band, as it is now with the upgrade. The car doesn't seem to want to downshift as aggressively as before on hard throttle, and so the car doesn't really seem much faster. I contacted APR, but the person who responded to my email seemed more like a sales rep type, as opposed to an engineer. I'm suspecting the RS3, with this stage of tune, would benefit from a TCU update, to better match up with the new power levels.
Launch mode seems good, and the car, driven up to 8/10ths, is great. I've found paddle shifting seems to correct these issues, as I'm choosing the shift points, but sometimes it's just nice to punch it, without bothering with self shifting. Self shifting is more difficult though, since the upgrade, because it revs to redline so quick, you have to be very active at lower speeds to not hit the rev limiter.
The person who responded to my email, told me a TCU upgrade should be available this fall, and should correct these issues.
Does anybody have any experience with the issues I'm having?; any input would be great.
Thanks
Old 02-24-2019, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not an authoritative response here, but is it possible the transmission programming needs time to adapt to the new power curve? It might do so and get better with time.
Good luck and please do keep us informed!
Old 02-24-2019, 10:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was thinking the same thing, but since I only have 50 miles, or so, on the tune, I haven't seen anything yet. I guess the question is, how much flexibility is built into the TCU for adaptation, and over what time frame will the adaptation occur?
Those who've had their RS3's tuned to similar power/torque levels, (see attachment), even if not by APR, may be able to shed some light on this topic.
I'll keep everyone informed as I get more miles on the tune; thanks.
Attached Files
Old 02-25-2019, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Shouldn't be an issue - Call APR. I've had problems with some of their tunes. Be prepared for them to blame you however. I used to be just down the road and worked in Erlanger....
Old 02-27-2019, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default APR 1+ Experience

I have had my RS3 upgraded to 1+ with the turbo inlet and enlarged intercooler for about 1 month. It does seem to shift more aggressively but I have no issues with how it drives in auto or manual, and in any mode. I really like the additional torque and the extra burbles and pops/bangs when in S mode. Definitely have it checked, mine is seemless and such a blast.

Best of luck!!!!
Old 02-28-2019, 02:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi,
On January 25th, 2019 APR updated the RS3 1+ ECU tune to version 1.3; did you get the version 1.3 flash, or are you still at 1.2?
Old 02-28-2019, 03:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

...and, if you received the version 1.3 flash, did you go with the high-grip, or low-grip files?
The version might be on your paperwork, or the shop would know.
I appreciate any help you could give me on this
Thanks
Old 03-03-2019, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JKWMD
...and, if you received the version 1.3 flash, did you go with the high-grip, or low-grip files?
The version might be on your paperwork, or the shop would know.
I appreciate any help you could give me on this
Thanks
Two things: You need to be in manual to get the higher red line. This should help your shift points. Also stick with low-grip (high is for slicks and 1/4 mile).
Old 03-03-2019, 10:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the info; I'm currently flashed for High grip, which the dealer set, without asking me; I was thinking they would go with low grip; I'll have them flash it to low grip, and see if that makes a difference.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JKWMD
Thanks for the info; I'm currently flashed for High grip, which the dealer set, without asking me; I was thinking they would go with low grip; I'll have them flash it to low grip, and see if that makes a difference.
You should have 4 tunes loaded that are switchable - no need to go to the dealer you may call and ask what maps were loaded. You can cycle through the cruise control stock with the ignition on by holding it and watching the flashes 1-4. (Or get the dongle).

My Stage 1 is 91, E85 low, E85 high, stock. If you go Stage 2 you can also choose between pops and bangs tunes as you'll removed both sets of cats. So I'd run 91, E85 low reg, E85 low pops, E85 high pops.

Quick Reply: APR Stage 1+ tune issues.