Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Asking for REAL references of APR Stage 1 experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Asking for REAL references of APR Stage 1 experience

Not wanting to get into the pros/cons of modding, i'm 60 years old and have modified literally 10 turbo cars all successfully with zero issues (cobb, apr) so i don't want to debate what's right. But i really want to hear from this outstanding forum of ANYONE that has APR tuned their RS3 2016-2019 vehicle (stage 1 apr plus preferably but will take all info i can get). My son just picked up his RS3 a couple of weeks ago and wants to go APR plus asap, and simply wanted to gather REAL experiences not opinions.

Love this forum, most adult forum i've ever been on with minimal judging and unsolicited opinions. There just does not seem to be a lot of references on the RS3 APR tunes out there. specifically would love to hear:

miles at tuning
current miles
difference in speed
difference in mpg (apples to apples throttle)
difference in smoothness/shift points, etc

thanks guys
Old 06-19-2019, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Real World Experience

My RS3 is one year new, with roughly 5,000 miles. I have the Apr stage 1 plus with Intercooler and inlet (carbon fiber). Im
considering the newly released open intake. I have had the hardware and software for about 4 months. The car has
increased responsiveness and more pronounced pops and bangs. It’s also more throaty went not in S mode. The
mid range and top end is where you really notice it, and it’s quite a push. To me it’s worth it. Gas mileage seems
slightly improved as does drivability. The increased
torque, is very noticeable. Now its totally Jekyll and Hyde, calm when you want and raucous when in sport. Dynamic seems even more aggressive. I believe the the dyno figures, I also got upgraded version of software but don’t really notice any difference. Hope this was
helpful. No glitches thus far.

Enjoy!!
The following users liked this post:
Flying Scotsman (06-24-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TightRS3
My RS3 is one year new, with roughly 5,000 miles. I have the Apr stage 1 plus with Intercooler and inlet (carbon fiber). Im
considering the newly released open intake. I have had the hardware and software for about 4 months. The car has
increased responsiveness and more pronounced pops and bangs. It’s also more throaty went not in S mode. The
mid range and top end is where you really notice it, and it’s quite a push. To me it’s worth it. Gas mileage seems
slightly improved as does drivability. The increased
torque, is very noticeable. Now its totally Jekyll and Hyde, calm when you want and raucous when in sport. Dynamic seems even more aggressive. I believe the the dyno figures, I also got upgraded version of software but don’t really notice any difference. Hope this was
helpful. No glitches thus far.

Enjoy!!
Thank you so much tight that is exactly the kind of info i was looking for. Very helpful
Old 06-21-2019, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I’ve had the stage 1 APR tune on my 2018 Merlin RS3 since a week after it came out. I had just over a thousand miles. My 1st notice with the tune was that the turbo spools up immediately. That does help some with the lack of throttle response I feel that the RS3 has. I’m addressing that issue further with a sprint booster. I did a road trip 6 months into having the APR stage 1 done and got 32 MPG highway with it. Daily driving, I get around 25 MPG. It’s been rock solid.
The following 2 users liked this post by RS3R_X:
EXELR8 (06-21-2019), Flying Scotsman (06-24-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Great info RS3R X, thanks so much for taking the time to write!!
Old 05-15-2023, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default APR Stage 1

APR Stage 1, on a 2012 A6 prestige.

I have been really happy with the APR stage 1 tune. I have experienced no drop in drivability or reliability.
The power gains are significant, and it is probably the best performance per dollar upgrade you can get.
Old 02-29-2024, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I did the APR Stage 1 tune on my 2020 A3 and can’t say enough about it. The stock acceleration put a grin on my face but now I’m doing 80 mph before I know it! Highly recommend.