Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Audi Active Lane Assist / How well does the Lane Assist feature perform?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Active Lane Assist / How well does the Lane Assist feature perform?

The S3 I test drove had the feature and I thought I noticed a green and sometimes yellow picture of a street in the drivers information center. I did not test it out but wish I would have to see how well it performed.

Is there settings in the MMI to adjust sensitivity, steering wheel vibration or how much of a correction it issues?

I want to know if I can start texting while driving....just kidding!
Old 12-04-2014, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well if you travel below 40 mph it will deactivate the Active Lane, and the indicator will turn from green to amber.

If you don't keep your hands on the wheel after it warns you to keep your hands on the steering wheel, it will deactivate the Active Lane and it will turn from green to amber.

ALA works well for highways, combined with Cruise Control.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

There isn't an adjustment as far as I know. I'm too scared to see how much of a correction it would issue, but it can keep me in the lane without interference especially with the auto cruise control on. It doesn't come on unless you are over 40 mph. It does cancel out if you take your hands off the wheel for too long also. It will also actively resist you crossing over lines if you don't use your turn signal first.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

It is very unintrusive. The on/off switch is on the end of the directional stalk. You have an option in MMI for the steering wheel to vibrate if you are about to leave the lane, which you can turn on or off. So once you turn it on, it is on. I believe other system let you adjust sensitivity so you stay centered in the lane. This system will not do that. With your hands off wheel, it will wander from side to side of lane.

Our roads are not great, but the system does a great job at finding the lane markings. I wish the car wouldn't shut it down with your hands off the wheel and would stay more centered by itself. But I do find with my hands engaged on the wheel, I tend to drive more lane centered and with less effort.
The following users liked this post:
mike95776 (03-10-2022)
Old 12-04-2014, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Great info!

I did not know it was only active at 40+ mph.

I'm not so much worried about it keeping me centered, I want it to stop the car from going out of my lane if I start to drift over the line.

With vibration off, can you can feel the steering wheel resistance putting you back in your lane?

I find it odd that the system will cancel out if your hands are off the wheel to long? Whats the logic behind that?
Old 12-04-2014, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I love it. All the things they said are accurate. It is lane assist, not lane guidance. It is designed to keep you from exiting a lane not drive for you. I'm hoping vag com will have a way to keep it from deactivating. It keeps me from going over lanes 85% of the time. You can't be completely disengaged. Sometimes it will drift over a lane and the lane indicator will stay green. If you are unable to see the lines with your eyes(snow, rain at night) it won't work either. It does work at night just as well as day though.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Audi A7 model 2019 lost the function of Lane Assist

I have bought an A7 recently and each week a new electronic issue comes up... Make it short, yesterday in highway a message cma eon my screen saying "Lane guidance deactivated, refer to owner manual"!
The button at the end of the stick used to turn on and off the "Lane Guidance" but now it doesn't anymore! The only thing it does now is to set the cruise control to my driving speed...! It is so annoying. Does anyone know how to fix that? I am sick of going to Audi on weekly bases.
Cheers
Old 10-14-2019, 10:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I find it useful quite a few more times than i find it annoying - and haven't experienced the A7 type problems. I'd definitely get ACC/Lane Assist on my next vehicle.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe there is a VCDS mod to add sensitivity to MMI. I only use on occasion (rarely); find ACC much more useful for myself.