Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Audi Connect SIM issues with third party SIM card.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 11:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Connect SIM issues with third party SIM card.

This is for the Mk2 A3's before the facelift with CarPlay/MIB2/etc.

My trial recently ran out for the 6 months free Audi Connect (AT&T LTE). I still like using Audi Connect solely for Google voice searches and Google Earth, so I inserted a T-Mobile tablet SIM into my car.

The problem is that the SIM stops working every time I start the car, until I remove/replace the SIM. Then there's a screen where I have to pick between T-Mobile EPC, T-Mobile M2M, T-Mobile LTE, and Simple. (I pick the LTE option.) Then Google Nav and voice searches work and Google Earth works, but it's hit or miss whether Audi Connect Weather/Charging Stations/Fuel Prices/Flight Info works.

If I don't replace the SIM after starting the car, it's totally hit or miss whether the SIM works at all. Sometimes nothing works; sometimes Google Earth works, but hotspot is sporadic (certain sites work but other sites don't), and Audi Connect doesn't work; sometimes everything works. The funny thing is I still get LTE with T-Mobile and the reception always shows better than my iPhone 7 Plus. It's almost like the car is confused with DNS and on top of that keeps forgetting my APN settings.

I'd love for the SIM to completely work, as it's a 6GB/mo SIM with streaming audio/video not counting towards my data cap. Does anyone know if there are any updates to the MIB and/or TSBs so I can get the dealer to figure out what's wrong?