Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Audi Presense not covered under warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 01:00 PM
va3
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Presense not covered under warranty?

Hi,

I was wondering if the presense is covered under warranty or not. Please let me know.

Long story: I bought my A3 2017 in Jan 2017 and got the 10k service done at the dealer. When my wife brought it home, the presense light was on saying the sensor was obstructed. This was not the case when we gave it in for service, so I contacted them the same day, but couldn't get an appointment till today due to holiday. I have a feeling during the 10k service a tech may have accidentally knocked it out of place, but they say this is not covered under warranty and want $700 to fix it. Is there an easier way to get this fixed? I got their maintenance plan and warranty when I bought the car thinking no issues for 4 years, but guess not.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That's not a wear and tear item. That's covered by bumper to bumper. What country are you in?
Old 01-08-2018, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Malfunctions are covered under warranty, but alignments/calibrations are not. The sensors can get knocked out of alignment and require calibrations to make the system work again. I'm not sure how a tech during a regular 10k service would knock the sensor out of alignment, though. Did they do some repairs that involved removing the front bumper?
Old 01-08-2018, 02:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by va3
Hi,

I was wondering if the presense is covered under warranty or not. Please let me know.

Long story: I bought my A3 2017 in Jan 2017 and got the 10k service done at the dealer. When my wife brought it home, the presense light was on saying the sensor was obstructed. This was not the case when we gave it in for service, so I contacted them the same day, but couldn't get an appointment till today due to holiday. I have a feeling during the 10k service a tech may have accidentally knocked it out of place, but they say this is not covered under warranty and want $700 to fix it. Is there an easier way to get this fixed? I got their maintenance plan and warranty when I bought the car thinking no issues for 4 years, but guess not.
i'd be pretty pissed off too. their answer sounds BS to me...
Old 01-09-2018, 04:12 AM
va3
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Malfunctions are covered under warranty, but alignments/calibrations are not. The sensors can get knocked out of alignment and require calibrations to make the system work again. I'm not sure how a tech during a regular 10k service would knock the sensor out of alignment, though. Did they do some repairs that involved removing the front bumper?
You are right, I don't think they did it, but I just found it an odd coincident that I didn't have that issue and after their service, same day, 2 miles later, this issue popped up. Do you happen to know if there is a cheap way to get it re-aligned because $700 sounds like an awful lot for a useless feature.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:16 AM
va3
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dazed1
That's not a wear and tear item. That's covered by bumper to bumper. What country are you in?
I am in the US, but they say its not covered. Do you have any documents where it would say that it is covered?
Old 01-09-2018, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be going to another dealership or calling AoA and politely explaining what happened. Yeah, it could be a coincidence that the sensor somehow got knocked out of place right after the service but I would think if it was my business and I had a customer politely explain what happened that I would do whatever it takes to take care of that customer.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1
I don't buy into the notion that it happened coincidentally right after the servicing. I don't recall anyone even discussing Presense getting knocked out of whack. I'd be pretty pissed about this and let the service department know that you're not going to put up with their BS.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by va3
You are right, I don't think they did it, but I just found it an odd coincident that I didn't have that issue and after their service, same day, 2 miles later, this issue popped up. Do you happen to know if there is a cheap way to get it re-aligned because $700 sounds like an awful lot for a useless feature.
No, I don't. The calibration is apparently a tedious and time consuming process.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I do not buy the $700 bill....About 6-7 hours labour time to align a sensor.......that makes no sense. If, this car has not had any previous frontal damage, I would be after Audi to come up with an explanation for the how this could happen and the bill cost. As an aside this is one reason I do not buy these nanny systems, as they are expensive to replace or repair/troubleshoot and have little or no use to me.

Last edited by Flying Scotsman; 01-09-2018 at 08:53 AM. Reason: added info

Quick Reply: Audi Presense not covered under warranty?