Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Audi S3 2018. Light shiver/ rough idle upon start up

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi S3 2018. Light shiver/ rough idle upon start up

A few questions. I have an Audi S3 2018. Brand new when I got it in November of last year. I did an APR tune stage 1. Car now has 4,194 on it and I知 now noticing my car is idling rough upon cold starts. It also misses slightly here and there during the warm up and when it isles down it痴 idling rough. I知 not sure if I should take it into the dealer and have them look at it or if I should hold off because this is normal or something? I知 also concerned if they do a diagnostic, the flash will show up and I知 SOL afterwards. Any suggestions on this?

thanks..!
Old 01-08-2019, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take it back to the shop you had the tune done at and tell them what's going on. Do you have the latest version of the tune? Maybe there's an update that will fix your issue.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SteveO987
Take it back to the shop you had the tune done at and tell them what's going on. Do you have the latest version of the tune? Maybe there's an update that will fix your issue.
Thanks for the response. I believe I do. I haven稚 received any update from APR. I was thinking of taking it back to the shop, but I知 sure they値l want to charge me for a diagnostic which would be stupid because it could be the tune causing this I thought as well. Is there anything else that could be causing this?

Thsnks,
Old 01-09-2019, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

My suggestion - Have a discussion with "the shop" and request them to put the stock tune back on the car. If the problem goes away, then you know that it's the APR tune causing your issue and ask "the shop" to waive your diagnostic fee (you, the shop, and APR will then need to work on a solution). If the problem does not go away, then pay for the diagnostic fee and take the car to the dealer for a proper diagnostic with your stock tune - not sure if the dealer can tell if you had flashed your car even if you put it back to stock...this is something you may want to discuss with "the shop"

Last edited by XMetal00; 01-09-2019 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by XMetal00
My suggestion - Have a discussion with "the shop" and request them to put the stock tune back on the car. If the problem goes away, then you know that it's the APR tune causing your issue and ask "the shop" to waive your diagnostic fee (you, the shop, and APR will then need to work on a solution). If the problem does not go away, then pay for the diagnostic fee and take the car to the dealer for a proper diagnostic with your stock tune - not sure if the dealer can tell if you had flashed your car even if you put it back to stock...this is something you may want to discuss with "the shop"
2nd that. I've run APR tune several times, but did have issues on my A4 with their tune - get back to stock and see if its car or tune.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a stock 18 S3 that also has a slight shiver on cold start. So far it seems to go away after a few minutes. No missfire as far as I know. Can you see any and all missfire events on an OBDeleven?
Old 01-04-2020, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have also noticed this, same set up as yours. Did you find out what it was
Old 10-06-2020, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I too have the issue of intermittent rough idle on startup, until the oil temp reading registers on the dash, also coupled with random Start Stop and Cruise control deactivation error messages and advice to visit a dealer. Once the opil temp is warm the rough idling goes away. did anyone find a cure and what was causing the issue?
Old 04-15-2022, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by AaronWilliams
I too have the issue of intermittent rough idle on startup, until the oil temp reading registers on the dash, also coupled with random Start Stop and Cruise control deactivation error messages and advice to visit a dealer. Once the opil temp is warm the rough idling goes away. did anyone find a cure and what was causing the issue?
I have also got this did you manage to find out what it was ?
Old 08-09-2022, 02:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I've got this issue too, sounds like mine is a bit worse though. Mine actually won't start without pressing the accelerator sometimes, did anyone ever get to the bottom of it?

Quick Reply: Audi S3 2018. Light shiver/ rough idle upon start up