Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Autocross with S3 and understeer

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What an absolutely brilliant post by superswiss! Amidst the sea of confusion on this subject, you've pretty much just explained the whole thing in a couple of paragraphs. Thank you for taking the time to write this. I hope you don't mind if I repost this on the Apex Automotor facebook group where many of us have some pretty technical discussions and this response will fit right in with the discussion we were having after the auto-x and I let the moderator take my S3 for a lap.

Last edited by Robr; 07-15-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Robr
What an absolutely brilliant post by superswiss! Amidst the sea of confusion on this subject, you've pretty much just explained the whole thing in a couple of paragraphs. Thank you for taking the time to write this. I hope you don't mind if I repost this on the Apex Automotor facebook group where many of us have some pretty technical discussions and this response will fit right in with the discussion we were having after the auto-x and I let the moderator take my S3 for a lap.
You're welcome. Sure go ahead and repost it.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree with those who recommended a bigger rear sway bar and/or tire pressure change.

The S3 has tendencies similar to a front wheel drive car, like my MK VII GTI autocross car. To tame understeer I’ve been running the rear tire pressures 3-4 psi higher. This can take some testing because sometimes the answer might be dropping front pressure to add grip to the front, which will reduce rear grip.

If if that doesn’t work then going with the larger rear bar will work similarly, but also will flatten the car in turns/ transitions.

Good luck and let us know what you do and how it improves the car!!
Old 07-16-2018, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a 2015 and rear sway and understeer were pretty bad - I personally thought that the car was un-trackable as stock even if you put slicks on it - being how picky I am - but now with the 2018 S3 both of those issues are 80% gone - I'm pretty certain the 18 has a newer haldex software package than the other S3s. I know that doesn't help the OP - but thought for future buyers, they should definitely go with an 18 or newer if they want to track their S3 (without major mods).
Old 07-21-2018, 08:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey you should check out my video of my S3 at AutoX, I have 034 camber Plates, 034 Lowering springs, 034 Rear Swaybar and Nitto NT-01's The car preforms amazing now. Stock the understeer wasn't that bad you just have to transfer the weight to the front of the car to keep grip. I recommend checking out my videos I have a bunch of DIY videos for all the upgrades I did on my channel.

Last edited by Blake's Garage; 07-21-2018 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've got all the mods Blake does plus some more and its a lot better but still a bit of a pig. Going to take the slop out of the camber plate mounts for more camber and run the reverse stagger setup soon on 18x9 wheels pushed right out to the edges too. Props to "Superswiss" to being one of very few on the internet to actually know what he's talking about.