Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Automatic Headlights S3

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 04:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic Headlights S3

So I just got a new 2016 S3 prestige and love it. When I picked it up yesterday the lights were set to auto and they were off (daylight). Later in the day they turned on as they should. This morning though on my way to work they stayed on the entire time and it was bright out. I switched them to off, and back to auto and they still came back on. I've changed the settings to early, medium and late in the MMI but they still stay on. I'm not getting any errors on the dash, is there a setting I'm missing? I was basically the only car with it's lights on this morning, so I'm guessing with it set to auto they should have been off.

Thanks.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on your new S3! Welcome to the club. Had mine about 11 months now and still love it. That's weird about the headlights as I sometimes want my headlights to be on (when set to auto) but are not. I have mine set to early. I have come to appreciate the fact that lights on may give me some extra visibility as there seem to be a lot of drivers who aren't really paying attention. I often just manually turn my lights on in what I consider lower light conditions when the auto mode doesn't actually switch the lights on. Having a full LED package, I going to assume that my head and tail lights will operate theoretically forever.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I believe that if it is overcast or raining, the light sensor will turn on the headlights in the auto setting.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes and no DennisMitchell. Sometimes that seems to be the case and sometimes not. Sort of confusing.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by dac350
So I just got a new 2016 S3 prestige and love it. When I picked it up yesterday the lights were set to auto and they were off (daylight). Later in the day they turned on as they should. This morning though on my way to work they stayed on the entire time and it was bright out. I switched them to off, and back to auto and they still came back on. I've changed the settings to early, medium and late in the MMI but they still stay on. I'm not getting any errors on the dash, is there a setting I'm missing? I was basically the only car with it's lights on this morning, so I'm guessing with it set to auto they should have been off.

Thanks.
Hi there. I just bought a used '16 A3 and I'm experiencing the exact same thing. Did you ever identify a solution or root of this issue? Thanks so much!
Old 03-30-2018, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys are not the only ones experiencing this phenomenon. I too have this experience every now and then. I notice this with the NAV screen in Day or Night mode which is an indicator whether your headlamps are on or off. For the record, my NAV screen is set for Auto. It seems to be that the sensor or sensors that control these systems are somewhat inconsistent. I've driven in some pretty bright situations outside where the sun is shining yet the headlamps are turned on (w/night mode on the NAV screen). Strange.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Timmay
You guys are not the only ones experiencing this phenomenon. I too have this experience every now and then. I notice this with the NAV screen in Day or Night mode which is an indicator whether your headlamps are on or off. For the record, my NAV screen is set for Auto. It seems to be that the sensor or sensors that control these systems are somewhat inconsistent. I've driven in some pretty bright situations outside where the sun is shining yet the headlamps are turned on (w/night mode on the NAV screen). Strange.
The sensor on mine must be broken, haha...but no dash indicators. It's frustrating - it seems like my headlights have been on consistently at all times while driving since I got the car. I don't have nav, so I can't test the night mode or any other thing to cross-reference it. Every other A/S3 ever see driving during the day just has the LEDs on, not the beams.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Easytoseeme
The sensor on mine must be broken, haha...but no dash indicators. It's frustrating - it seems like my headlights have been on consistently at all times while driving since I got the car. I don't have nav, so I can't test the night mode or any other thing to cross-reference it. Every other A/S3 ever see driving during the day just has the LEDs on, not the beams.
I'd take the car in to the dealer and have them take a look at it. That just doesn't sound right.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Timmay
I'd take the car in to the dealer and have them take a look at it. That just doesn't sound right.
I think I will. Thanks for the help! Seems like if it's operating normally, they'll be able to easily tell me. Or tweak the sensors if that's needed. Appreciate the responses.