Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Battery Isolation Cover

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Isolation Cover

Hello,

I have an Audi A3 2016 1.8T, still under warranty. Last week my car's battery died. I went to an official Audi Car Service. After checking the car, they decided to replace the battery with new and "bigger" one. When I got my car back I noticed that the top isolation cover of the battery is missing. I called the service center and they told me that these are the manufacturer instructions. I made few calls to friends and asked some professionals, they all told me that the battery should have an isolation cover as it should not get heated. I called the service center again and asked them to bring me the isolation cover, they refused. I tried to explain to them what I've heard from the professionals, they refused to accept.
As I'm confused by the opposite answers, I'd like to get the correct one regarding my case. Does anybody know what are the Manufacturer instructions regarding the issue explained above?

Thanks.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

In principle keeping the battery from excess heat is good as higher temperatures decrease battery life, so insulation sounds reasonable. I have had a problem when I first got my '15 S3 with battery losing charge and many and different false warnings. The battery turned out to be OK and the dealer removed the false warnings.Now all OK but I have my suspicions (only that) that the cover may have been bridging the + & - battery posts via some conductive dirt. I cleaned the cover and the problems have not returned (11 months). Possible but ? probable. If as you say the cover has been banned maybe that is the reason.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by morris39
In principle keeping the battery from excess heat is good as higher temperatures decrease battery life, so insulation sounds reasonable. I have had a problem when I first got my '15 S3 with battery losing charge and many and different false warnings. The battery turned out to be OK and the dealer removed the false warnings.Now all OK but I have my suspicions (only that) that the cover may have been bridging the + & - battery posts via some conductive dirt. I cleaned the cover and the problems have not returned (11 months). Possible but ? probable. If as you say the cover has been banned maybe that is the reason.
I have the car for 2 years now, I had many, many problem, none of them was electrical, its always mechanical (front left bearing malfunction, noisy read bearings, noisy sunroof, water and oil leak from the cooler and the funny part is when I drive over a bumper!! I hear noises like a 1990 Toyota Pickup! and more!).
Regarding the +- bridging, does the battery have a plastic cover over the - connection? because my car's battery has one and it should prevent the bridging.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by abahouth
I have the car for 2 years now, I had many, many problem, none of them was electrical, its always mechanical (front left bearing malfunction, noisy read bearings, noisy sunroof, water and oil leak from the cooler and the funny part is when I drive over a bumper!! I hear noises like a 1990 Toyota Pickup! and more!).
Regarding the +- bridging, does the battery have a plastic cover over the - connection? because my car's battery has one and it should prevent the bridging.
No plastic cover, just bare posts.