Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Black Optics Package is a MUST if ......

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Black Optics Package is a MUST if ......

Let me say right up front that I've not been an Audi owner for quite a while so my comments are going to be strictly based on the RS3 since that's what I ordered (but A3 / S3 owners please chime in as well).

The black optics are a MUST (IMO) if you are choosing Nardo, Glacier White, Catalynya Red, and probably Florett Silver (I say probably since I haven't seen this particular car / combo in person).

Black optics are OPTIONAL (i.e., look equally well with standard trim) for Mythos Black, Daytona Gray, and Ara Blue.

I am basing my opinion strictly on the ones I have seen up close & personal and my personal bias for colors and contrasts. Interested in what others think so comments / thoughts? FYI, this is meant as a strictly friendly discussion (i.e., no bashing) as it's my sense that the Black Optics package is a highly sought after / picked option. I almost picked it for mine.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm a fan. :-)
Old 09-19-2017, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. I think BO goes great with lighter and brighter colors to create contrast. But the darker colors as Mythos Black and Daytona Gray need a lighter contrast and the Alu Optics work great on those. The Ara Blue can go either way, but looks better with Alu I think. I ordered my Daytona with Alu Optics based on this same reasoning.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:18 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I ordered a Florett Silver S3 and went with aluminum-optics (AO) rather than black optics (BO). IMO the silver looks terrific either way and the deciding factor for me was I much preferred the 19" double spoke star wheels over the BO 19" wheels.

I've seen Ara Blue, Daytona Gray, Glacier White, Mythos Black & Florett Silver both ways. I've only seen Navarra Blue, Nano Gray, Tango Red & Vegas Yellow with BO. Let me start by stating you really can't go wrong with BO. Based on all the time I spent on color choice, AO vs BO and since your asking for my opinion ;<)

BO is REQUIRED for Red and Yellow
I much prefer BO on Ara & Navarra Blue, Nano Gray and White
I prefer AO on Black - although all black does look a bit sinister
Either way, for me anyway - Florett Silver and Daytona Gray (and until I saw Daytona with AO I thought I wouldn't like it.)
Old 09-19-2017, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by russbert
Let me say right up front that I've not been an Audi owner for quite a while so my comments are going to be strictly based on the RS3 since that's what I ordered (but A3 / S3 owners please chime in as well).

The black optics are a MUST (IMO) if you are choosing Nardo, Glacier White, Catalynya Red, and probably Florett Silver (I say probably since I haven't seen this particular car / combo in person).

Black optics are OPTIONAL (i.e., look equally well with standard trim) for Mythos Black, Daytona Gray, and Ara Blue.

I am basing my opinion strictly on the ones I have seen up close & personal and my personal bias for colors and contrasts. Interested in what others think so comments / thoughts? FYI, this is meant as a strictly friendly discussion (i.e., no bashing) as it's my sense that the Black Optics package is a highly sought after / picked option. I almost picked it for mine.
I completely disagree with BO is required for Catalynya Red.

I wouldn't trade this look for anything:

Old 09-19-2017, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In most cases, I'm partial to the Aluminium although can appreciate the BO in some colors.
Of course, I added Audi's chrome grille strips on my MK1 TT, so I'm probably an outlier!
Old 09-19-2017, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish one could get Black Optics and then get body colored mirrors as an option instead of automatically replacing the aluminum colored mirrors.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:26 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IceAero
I completely disagree with BO is required for Catalynya Red.

I wouldn't trade this look for anything:

I was commenting as an S3 owner and was referring to Tango Red. On an RS3 even the AO has a black grill so perhaps my comments don't apply as well.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As an S3 owner I feel that BO is a major plus for dark colors, particularly Daytona Gray. I know some suggest having contrast is favorable, but I think there is sufficient contrast (if that's your thing) with the BO/DG combo IMHO. In particular, the S3 has the body colored side view mirrors so it's even better IMO compared to the RS3. The aluminum look of the side view mirrors is a negative for me.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a Navarra Blue S3 with BO. I'm not a big fan of the chrome/aluminum look on any color. I'd much prefer BO on every car, but that's just my preference. I do wish that I could have gotten the double spoke wheels instead of the BO wheels, but I'd rather have the BO package instead of the wheels.

Quick Reply: Black Optics Package is a MUST if ......