AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a3-s3-rs-3-mkii-209/)
-   -   CarPlay on pre-facelift - Can it be added? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a3-s3-rs-3-mkii-209/carplay-pre-facelift-can-added-2916303/)

Clearmounts 03-12-2017 11:44 PM

CarPlay on pre-facelift - Can it be added?

For us 2016 and older A3/S3 owners... can we get CarPlay? Dealer programable?

s3burgh 03-13-2017 04:36 AM

Doubtful, probably an entire mmi upgrade. It uses usb for the data connection, which I don't think pre-facelift cars even have (charge only)

duncanator 03-13-2017 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Clearmounts (Post 24936223)
For us 2016 and older A3/S3 owners... can we get CarPlay? Dealer programable?

If this guy is to be believed, I don't see why an upgrade isn't possible. The first two minutes give me hope that it at least can be done if Audi wants to do it.

snagitseven 03-13-2017 09:40 AM

The MMI in the video is the new MIB2 system. It is a completely different design than the earlier MMI systems. I seriously doubt that the MIB2 system can be implemented in an earlier build without a very expensive upgrade i.e. a replacement of the entire 5F module, screen, radio, wiring, USB ports, coding, etc. We would be talking multiple thousands, not hundreds of dollars. Probably cheaper to buy a new car.

ionian2k 03-13-2017 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by snagitseven (Post 24936425)
The MMI in the video is the new MIB2 system. It is a completely different design than the earlier MMI systems. I seriously doubt that the MIB2 system can be implemented in an earlier build without a very expensive upgrade i.e. a replacement of the entire 5F module, screen, radio, wiring, USB ports, coding, etc. We would be talking multiple thousands, not hundreds of dollars. Probably cheaper to buy a new car.

Maybe it will all be there for the A3 mid cycle update? I had 2017 A4 S-line loaner for almost a week with the new virtual cockpit. It was cool for a day but the novelty wears off very quickly.

arU4ic 03-16-2017 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by duncanator (Post 24936396)
If this guy is to be believed, I don't see why an upgrade isn't possible. The first two minutes give me hope that it at least can be done if Audi wants to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMvy...L&index=1&t=7s

Scam. This feature is a bigger lie than the emission reporting on the TDI - and in my opinion, way more annoying - carmakers rely on the inability to update to sell new cars.

Sorry for my venom, I was psyched about this in 2014, clearly not a real 'thing' as it turns out.

Jnjrowland 03-17-2017 04:00 AM

As sad as it is I would settle for the car not completely hijacking my phone microphone. It's truly sad that it's easier to send a text in my 2010 Jetta than it is in my 2016 A3. Just simply letting me interact with Siri to send a simple text would be nice. The inability to perform this simple task would have been enough to steer me away, but being that it was an Audi with all these "cool" features I never expected this problem. Lesson learned.

Diztek 03-17-2017 07:28 AM

seems vw always has better tech and better seats than audi. hahaha

superswiss 03-17-2017 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jnjrowland (Post 24938344)
As sad as it is I would settle for the car not completely hijacking my phone microphone. It's truly sad that it's easier to send a text in my 2010 Jetta than it is in my 2016 A3. Just simply letting me interact with Siri to send a simple text would be nice. The inability to perform this simple task would have been enough to steer me away, but being that it was an Audi with all these "cool" features I never expected this problem. Lesson learned.

This seems to be an isolated issue with the pre-facelift A3/S3. Audi screwed something up with that particular MMI version. In all other models as far as I know Siri, Google Assistant, Cortana and what not works fine with the car's mic. Later models such as the facelifted A/S/RS6/7 added Siri Eyes Free, where by holding the voice button on the steering wheel for a second calls up Siri. I believe the same feature also works with Android to call up Google Assistant. I occasionally use Siri or Google Assistant in the car. Other than having to initiate on the phone itself, it works pretty well.

Jnjrowland 03-17-2017 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by superswiss (Post 24938426)
This seems to be an isolated issue with the pre-facelift A3/S3. Audi screwed something up with that particular MMI version. In all other models as far as I know Siri, Google Assistant, Cortana and what not works fine with the car's mic. Later models such as the facelifted A/S/RS6/7 added Siri Eyes Free, where by holding the voice button on the steering wheel for a second calls up Siri. I believe the same feature also works with Android to call up Google Assistant. I occasionally use Siri or Google Assistant in the car. Other than having to initiate on the phone itself, it works pretty well.

Thanks for sharing, seems to me a 'patch' to fix this oversight would be nice. Somehow I'm not going to hold my breath though!!!!