Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

In Case you're interested .. RS3 vs Cayman GTS

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default In Case you're interested .. RS3 vs Cayman GTS

Here are my quick impressions that I promised previously of my initial impressions of the 2018 RS3 vs 2018 Cayman GTS: (Spoiler Alert - the 718 wins but IMO it should given its 38+% cost premium)

What I really liked and miss from the RS3:
  • Since I'm such a audiophile I really do miss the B&O stereo system; it was truly the best sound of any I've ever owned that wasn't an aftermarket system! However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Cayman also came with two (2) SD slots and a 10GB Jukebox as well and the Bose system was better than expected once tuned.
  • The overall ride is much quieter (in all modes) since the overall road noise, tire noise is less overall which is nice on the highway but not as "needed" on curvy back roads.
  • Obviously the RS3 is a better travel car; not only in terms of noise and comfort but also overall space (sedan vs roadster).
  • Since the Porsche isn't broken in yet I can't report objectively on MPG but I'm pretty confident that the RS3 will be better (just not sure to what extent and don't really care either).
  • There are many times that I miss the "sleeper" quality of the RS3 as almost no one knew what it was or its capabilities where I live in a more rural area of TN (including LEO's).
  • On engine noise I have to give the nod to the RS3 as well. It's truly special / awesome! Finally got a video of it going through the mile long tunnel and it was a lot of fun when I could get on it a little (other traffic prevented what I really wanted to do).
  • Given the higher BHP & Torque, along with AWD, the straight line speed off the line in the RS3 is hard to beat!
What I really like about the Cayman GTS:
  • Homelink and memory settings for your seats, mirror settings, temp, etc. by number (1&2) and by specific key fob.
  • Really love the looks of the wheels and like the OEM tires much better (feel sturdier on roads around here)
  • Mine came with an anti-theft device (aka 6 speed manual ) that is infinitely better than their older manuals (i.e., short shifter and nice clutch). Although my wife and I tested one with PDK (which is awesome btw), we both wanted to go back to driving a manual and rowing our own gears.
  • Apple Carplay works very well but I miss the sexy woman's voice reminding me to not forget my iPhone (my wife doesn't share this opinion however). LOL
  • Definitely NOT a sleeper; already had a local LEO follow me for a while (probably didn't help that I have a temporary, out of state, tag on it).
  • Engine sound is much better than a lot of folks give it credit for and will be better still when I can consistently take it past 4k RPMs Yes, it sounds different than the original flat 6 but its quite good and the down low torque is very good now.
  • While the BHP and Torque are lower than the RS3, the car "feels" much faster. Not in an off the line way, but the steering and handling are so incredibly precise that it completely destroys curvy roads. The mid-engine design feels so incredibly neutral through the twisties that I would have no problems leaving the RS3 easily behind which are the types of roads that my wife and I prefer and that we have an over abundance of around Eastern TN.
I will post a couple of updated photos as well since I recently got it tinted and PPF'd as well.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Here are a couple of updated photos:

The wing you see slightly above my roof belongs to an awesome Viper that had just been finished prior to mine.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't been on this board for quite a while and came back to take a peek and saw your post. You got rid of the RS3 already? As for the Cayman GTS, sweet car and looks great. Like the color combo. Enjoy it! BTW, you mentioned the 6 speed manual and clutch is better than the previous one. I'm interested in knowing what is better. I really liked the one in my older Cayman S with the short shifter.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

In my country, with the money you pay for a new RS3, you can hardly buy a new Cayman. The GTS will cost around 100K USD more.

Your Cayman is a real beauty!
Old 11-17-2018, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Timmay
I haven't been on this board for quite a while and came back to take a peek and saw your post. You got rid of the RS3 already? As for the Cayman GTS, sweet car and looks great. Like the color combo. Enjoy it! BTW, you mentioned the 6 speed manual and clutch is better than the previous one. I'm interested in knowing what is better. I really liked the one in my older Cayman S with the short shifter.
First you have to remember that the Boxster S was a 2001 (VERY long shifts, decent clutch); the 2003 C4S had the absolute best clutch, it was incredibly smooth and once I put in the short shifter, it was the absolute best of the three I owned previously. The 2004 911 Turbo had an extremely heavy clutch (I didn't know how much until the assist went out once) and if the Cayman's clutch had been like it we would have gotten the PDK instead. But fortunately for us, it came with a sweet short shifter and a very smooth, light weight clutch.

The color is Sapphire Blue and is gone as of 2019 so that was another reason to seriously consider the deal I got. While I loved the RS3, and wasn't planning on getting rid of it for another few years, the deal I was presented with was just too good to past up and I really missed the supreme "go cart" handling precision of the previous Porsche's (especially on these roads down here).
Old 11-17-2018, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Eran Levi
In my country, with the money you pay for a new RS3, you can hardly buy a new Cayman. The GTS will cost around 100K USD more.

Your Cayman is a real beauty!
Wow, that is a HUGE premium for the Cayman! I am indeed fortunate that wasn't the case here.

Thanks for the compliment; I am very anxious to get it broken it before it gets too cold here so I can really open it up. I don't plan on putting winter tires on it as I never used the ones I brought with me from Ohio when I moved here 7.5 years ago.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations again. My GTS was ordered last week, looking forward to spring delivery. The RS3 is now for sale. I really will miss both the sound system and the engine sound. I think the GTS sounds okay but the RS3 just sounds better. My mileage with the RS3 is fairly low, probably because I only drive it in sport and mostly in suburban traffic. I guess the Cayman will be much the same. Two great cars - each unique in their own way.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by michael818
Two great cars - each unique in their own way.
Totally agree!

Originally Posted by michael818
Congratulations again. My GTS was ordered last week, looking forward to spring delivery.
Thanks and give me informed as I look forward to seeing some photos.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Oh wow Russbert. I've been offline for a while as well. Traveling a lot for work lately. Seems like yesterday we were chatting about the RS3. I still recall the tire issue you experienced. So you're back to Porsche. I'm originally for Stuttgart so I totally get it! LOL. Gorgeous car. Wow. Simply gorgeous. You seem very happy indeed and that's what counts. I barely have 2000 miles on my RS3. But I absolutely love it. Just wish I could have driven it more in the fair weather months. Always next year. Will avoid taking test drives in competitive machines so I don't get tempted!!! Congrats on your new car sir. Please keep us updated!!!
Old 11-21-2018, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
.....I barely have 2000 miles on my RS3. But I absolutely love it. Just wish I could have driven it more in the fair weather months. Always next year. . Please keep us updated!!!
Man, you have got to get out there out and drive that thing! Work really is a four letter word, isn't it? LOL And yes, I remember Ohio's winters all too well so I'll be anxious to hear more about your driving experiences in the future.

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
Will avoid taking test drives in competitive machines so I don't get tempted!!! Congrats on your new car sir.
Too funny +1. I actually told a Porsche salesman to NOT let me test drive a 911 Turbo for the very same reason, and once I did, I was hooked!! Happy Thanksgiving to everyone and stay safe.

Quick Reply: In Case you're interested .. RS3 vs Cayman GTS