Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Considering RS3 as DD, few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wiscoaudi
I went from a 2017 S3 to a 2018 RS3 DD in November, after my husband picked up a 2018 TT RS in April. The S3 is no slouch, but the engine always ran hotter (234 vs 198). There are some minor irritations like no homelink on the RS3, and manual seats, but personally I haven't missed either from the S3 at all. I can't get enough of the 5 cylinder engine, it is totally a blast! I'm not tracking it or modding it, but since you asked for S3 to RS3 comparison, I personally feel like it's a step up from the S3.

Every time I start up the engine, it puts a big grin on my face. There are a few other 5 cyls in town, and I can recognize the engine by sound across parking lots on startup, LOL! Like others have said, the TTRS definitely has a more sports car feel, and we get more looks with it, but I love the stealth feel of the RS3. On ramps are hilarious! Lag seem to be highly dependent on what drive mode you're in, but that engine....

And FWIW I test drove an S5 with the intention of ordering an RS5 sportback, but the steering felt soooo disconnected and bloaty that we immediately ruled it out. Both the RS3 and TT RS feel totally nimble and precise; we have all sorts of fun on the back roads here on weekends!
Thanks for the review, that's exactly what I was worried about w/ the RS5 and my main reason with wanting the RS3 instead, is the nimble/tossable feeling. I'm still going to get out a test drive an RS5 when we get some warmer weather around here, lol.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Juggernaut
Thanks for the review, that's exactly what I was worried about w/ the RS5 and my main reason with wanting the RS3 instead, is the nimble/tossable feeling. I'm still going to get out a test drive an RS5 when we get some warmer weather around here, lol.
From what I read over on the A/S/RS5 forums, there isn't a huge difference handling-wise between the S5 and RS5, and after 6-7 months in the S3, and a few with the TT RS, it was just totally underwhelming. The interior is cush, and the acceleration is there, but it just seemed to be missing that nimble responsiveness that the S3, and for that matter both the RS3 & TTRS have. If you wait out the RS3 delay, you won't regret it!
Old 01-15-2019, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Wiscoaudi,

Thanks for sharing with us I currently have the 2019 RS3 on order.

I did look into the TTRS but the RS3 sedan seems to me to be the more usable vehicle especially if one is not tracking it.

Terry
Saw your build post, congrats!! It will totally be worth the wait! We toyed with getting a second TT RS, but there's something about having the practicality of the 4-door sedan that sold me on it. I do a lot of the grocery shopping, and those coupe doors swing out awfully wide, just saying. Plus realistically, rear passengers need to be under 4' tall. But if rear passengers or errands aren't a concern, the TTRS really is a sweet ride, absolutely a baby R8.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:10 AM
2019 RS3 ordered 1-5-2019

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Wiscoaudi
Saw your build post, congrats!! It will totally be worth the wait! We toyed with getting a second TT RS, but there's something about having the practicality of the 4-door sedan that sold me on it. I do a lot of the grocery shopping, and those coupe doors swing out awfully wide, just saying. Plus realistically, rear passengers need to be under 4' tall. But if rear passengers or errands aren't a concern, the TTRS really is a sweet ride, absolutely a baby R8.

Wiscoaudi,

but there's something about having the practicality of the 4-door sedan that sold me on it
We are on the exact same line of thinking for sure ^^^
I did look into the TTRS and I should say we (Cathy-Wife) and I looked together.
At the time I was looking into the TTRS Coupe I was also looking into getting my last Muscle-Car the Challenger Hellcat.
Well as it turned out I went with my last Muscle-Car and kept it for 1-year the Hellcat.
It was an awesome machine no doubt but it had several things I just couldn't ever really adjust to.
Huge-Rear-Blind-Spots and it's Huge-Oversize was just to much so I recently traded it on the RS3 I mentioned.
I didn't this time consider the TTRS as I have at my age had enough of the Performance Coupes.
I want a car that's Nimble, Super-Easy to see out of, Huge brakes, Powerful, Fast on the Street, Modern Technology, oh and also it has to be Quattro (All-Wheel-Drive).
The RS3 fits every Box I can possibly think of and in my case I have had way more than my fair share of cars since the Mid 60's when returning from Vietnam.
I also have had a lot of Audi cars over the years.
The most fun ones to me were the multiple S-4's they were cool rides and to me looked great and performed very well for their time.

Below are some pictures of what I spoke of above .............

And the Awesome Muscle-Car Challenger Hellcat just traded in to the same Audi Dealer, Audi Nashville here locally like maybe 20 minutes from my house.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 01-16-2019 at 07:13 AM.