Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Coolant Level Low Alert

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 05:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the coolant level alert as well, probably around 10,000 miles. I happened to be near by dealer, so I swung by there. It was indeed low and they topped it off. I probably should check it again to see how it's looking now that I'm at about 16,000.

Wonder if there's some kind of issue.

Thank for the reminder.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default It just happened to me

@20k miles, the irritating thing is I was just at the dealer 4 days ago - they did the 25k service, and I would have expected them to check the fluid levels.
Hopefully it won't amount to anything but I will be keeping an eye on it and let everyone know if it turns out to be anything more serious.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a 2015 A3 that showed a coolant leak at my 25k service. The dealer replaced the water pump and thermostat under warranty.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Quick update.

Finally remembered to check my coolant level. It's topped off, so I think the previous low level must have been a fluke. That happened in September roughly, so I would think if there was a leak or other issue, I would see it below the full mark by now.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a CPO 2015 S3 that developed a coolant leak about a month after purchase, around 15K miles. It didn't show much leaking all at once, but gradually. I topped it off myself 3x with no issues, trying to wait for my service appt. Yesterday, after sitting for two days, there was a pool of coolant under the car and an empty reservoir; took about 600ml to fill it to the full line. Dropped it off at my regular dealer for diagnosis. They ran a pressure test and found the engine oil cooler to be leaking coolant. Parts have been ordered; eta three days. Fingers crossed.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2014 A4 with possible leak

I purchased a used 2014 A4 Quattro in february of this year with about 40k miles on and now it has about 52k miles and last night the light to turn off engine and check engine coolant came on. I checked and it was almost empty in the reservoir. I got it home and filled the reservoir to right above the min line and between overnight and driving to work it slightly went down to to right below the min line. I am hoping that was just the fluid moving through the system and that its not leaking. I didnt see any visible leaking when I looked in engine but its hard to tell.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

2016 S3, got the Shutdown/Low Coolant alert @ 21K miles. Not overly working it and a 40F (~5C) ambient temperature. Burped the coolant reservoir and it went up into the normal range. Monitored the oil temp, went up to 214F (about 101C) driving home. Topped off with about 2-300 ml of coolant, haven't seen any issues since (about a week or so). Max oil temp was 221F, which apparently isn't overly high, but it's still pretty cool here. No visible leakage, hopefully not anything more than an air or vapor bubble.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

You should never have to put coolant in your car. If you do, there is a leak. My coolant level alert went off as well. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the water pump and thermostat. They said there was a pin hole leak in the water pump. They also said this was happening in certain cars. My car is parked in a garage at home and work. No signs of a leak as the coolant can just drip down onto the plastic pan and then evaporate as the engine gets hot. I check all fluids and tire pressure every week. So far the coolant is still full 17k miles after the repair.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

2015 S3 here with 40k miles. Very similar story, dealer said the low coolant warning was due to some air trapped in the system at first, but upon the 2nd occurrence investigated fully and determined that there was a thermostat housing crack and leak. The plastic aero cover under the engine prevents the issue from being visible as the coolant evaporates there. Furthermore, my car was out of service for 3 weeks because this issue is so prevalent that there's a shortage of thermostat housing parts. Another S3 was in at the same time as mine for the exact same issue... sounds worthy of a full-blown recall to me.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

We had this happen to our A3, but it was intermittent. The dealer looked at it and found a pin hole in the plastic reservoir. It was replaced under warranty and the issue never returned.

Quick Reply: Coolant Level Low Alert