Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

A couple new electronic mods for the s3

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A couple new electronic mods for the s3

I installed a Blackvue 3000mAh battery backup for my front and rear dash cams. So both cameras will record even with the car off. While the car is on the cams run on the cars power and the battery seamlessly starts charging (and vice versa).
Everything runs off the cigarette lighter in the trunk- which i removed and mounted under the carpeted area. I split the original cigarette into 2 outlets with 2 additional usb ports. 1 of the usb ports is connected to my video in motion setup which powers my phone and allows me to mirror my phone on the retractable screen. the other usb port i used a flush mount usb kit to fill the hole of the remove cig lighter and replace it with a usb and a little cap to close it when not in use... (see image) 1 of the cig inputs powers the battery backup and cams. the other input powers an inverter which is mounted on the other side of the trunk. The inverter has 2 power outlet sockets and (2 4A usb ports - I prob won't use them) which i will use reverse 90 degree adapters to save on space (and so I can close the cover). 1 of power socket will power up my designated VAGCOM/Dash cam Tablet. The other socket will continuously keep my battery jump start kit (white box) which is magnetically mounted (for ease of use) to the side of the strange box thing in the back... all wires are completely hidden- its going to be pretty sweet. a little worried about draining my battery if i leave the ignition on for too long- even though I really should not be drawing that much power and the jump start kit will always be topped off and ready to help. another thing that slightly concerns me is having all these lipo batteries in my trunk...

i had the dash cams setup to sleep unless motion is detected- but after some tests I learned to not trust this method.
so my cams just keep recording non stop- even when parked safely in my garage...
however when i wake up and go to work the battery still has 2/5 bars of juice left. and by the time i get to work its 4/5.
the cycle seems to work perfectly to get 24hr continuous footage from both cams...

I don't have pictures but I also designed and created a magnetic mount for my rear window suns screen. This way I can easily lower the screen in order to clean the window. The stock method of fastening the rear sun shade was terrible.. I went through many iterations before landing on my current design. sorry no pics- but if others with the rear oem sun screen are having issues just send me a PM

also- does anyone know what the red pully thing in the trunk is? it appears to run near a white hose that might contain liquid? possibly a fuel cut off? I'm pretty sure its not to escape the trunk- that lever is glow in the dark and located on the trunk itself
Attached Thumbnails A couple new electronic mods for the s3-img_0553_ef2ca6c18dd4320dc5889e07c92f54e554faef7b.jpg   A couple new electronic mods for the s3-img_0549_a57e028c9388e1462f2854ae4b26a4998c19f7ac.jpg   A couple new electronic mods for the s3-img_0548_1f1bd02630cdc648b2869859ced1ced12dba1f1a.jpg  

Last edited by markN1689; 07-20-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

the red ring is an emergency pull tab for the fuel door.

If you cannot get the lock to disengage for the fuel door, pulling the red ring pulls on the actuator itself to unlock it.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Added a OBD 2 extension and bluetooth le diagnostic tool. I got the solely for the purpose of keeping an eye on battery voltage- I can mess with the gauge interface and change scale, placement, and so much more...I look forward to seeing what else it can do. (see images for the user interface and gauges) I mounted the unit securely inside the dash
link to bluetooth le diag tool:
Amazon Amazon
link to extention cable:
Amazon Amazon
so far super happy with the purchases here.. already worth it.. cant wait to dig in more

i also decided to mount my vagcom tablet on a magnet floating on the ceiling of the trunk. more pics to come once the glue dries but it should hold more than tight (im using 2 super high power magnets. link here:
Amazon Amazon

i had to add some velcro so the screen does not open up while driving- seems to work well. i also mounted my vag com unit to the underside of the tablet.. ran wires to charge tablet and all wires are hidden out of sight. just need to set it up in the morning and go for a test run- maybe over some speed bumps to test the hold..

more pics to come
Attached Images     
Old 07-24-2017, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

pretty happy with how the laptop mount worked out. there is no chance of this thing falling off its mount..
Attached Images  
Old 08-12-2017, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

wow this suddenly got out of hand... but hey- why the heck did audi put this plastic tray/box thingy in the trunk?

my ocd compelled me to fill out the usb accessory ports on my power inverter...

the main function for the inverter is to provide power to the vagcom tablet and the jump start kit.
the high power flashflight might come in hand one day XD

i ran a powerful usb charger to the center console for some additional usb power. (the main usb is powering the RCA to HDMI converter) there are MANY wires and electronics hidden under that little tray. i play on making a nice anti slip mat to put in there in the future
Attached Thumbnails A couple new electronic mods for the s3-img_0663.jpg   A couple new electronic mods for the s3-img_0660.jpg  
Old 08-15-2017, 07:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markN1689
wow this suddenly got out of hand... but hey- why the heck did audi put this plastic tray/box thingy in the trunk?

my ocd compelled me to fill out the usb accessory ports on my power inverter...

the main function for the inverter is to provide power to the vagcom tablet and the jump start kit.
the high power flashflight might come in hand one day XD

i ran a powerful usb charger to the center console for some additional usb power. (the main usb is powering the RCA to HDMI converter) there are MANY wires and electronics hidden under that little tray. i play on making a nice anti slip mat to put in there in the future
Is that phone charging kit in there? Can you give us more info about that please?
Old 08-15-2017, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Vancity88
Is that phone charging kit in there? Can you give us more info about that please?
Amazon Amazon

PowerBear USB Wall Charger [18W] Qualcomm 3.0 Fast Charger

might be a gimmick idk- thing is i might be using the wrong charge cable... but it doesn't seem fast at all.. at least it charges the phone were as my charger/vim cable is just able to maintain battery life but never actually increases it...

will try some 3.0 usb cables..
Old 08-15-2017, 10:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dang dude. This is awesome... man I wish I had your free time.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I solved my phone charging issues. I now charge at 12W and a solid rate of 2A- it doesn't get much (any) faster than this... Rather than use a 25 ft usb extension to reach the center console i'm now using a 25 ft power extension cord- which runs 12V power to my center console. Had to make some extra room so I cut into the bottom of the tray and hid my charging bricks in there... its not pretty but its functional (and with the cover on its all hidden)

also installed some lights on a magnetic mount floating in the trunk. they charge when the car is on and are set to turn on when motion is detected. i can even remove them easily if i need to bring extra light somewhere.

this is this stuff i do to de-stress- my garage is my happy place
Attached Thumbnails A couple new electronic mods for the s3-img_0793.jpg   A couple new electronic mods for the s3-img_0792.jpg   A couple new electronic mods for the s3-img_0787.jpg   A couple new electronic mods for the s3-img_0791.jpg  
Old 09-10-2017, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Please document a DYI when you do this:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...-what-2931796/