Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Daytona Gray is an interesting color...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Daytona Gray is an interesting color...

I've only owned my new S3 a few days and am amazed with the "range" of color I see in the Daytona paint. It definitely transforms depending on the lighting and whether of course it happens to be daytime or nighttime. I snapped a couple of crappy photos outside my office and noticed a shot that shows an interesting contrast when the sunlight hits part of the vehicle. It looks almost silver where the sun hits it. On the other hand, this color sometimes appears to almost have a green tint to it when it's not getting a bright sun shined on it. Then at night when I'm looking at it in my garage with a low lit garage opener it looks more menacing, a very dark almost black shade which actually looks awesome.

Oddly, I love how this color looks at night or with very low lighting. I can't take a quality photo of that scenario however. Anyway, for those that are on the fence about buying a new S3 or if you're lucky an RS3, I'd vouch for Daytona anyday! I think it does help to have the Black Optic option, but I personally like having the side mirror caps in the same body color. The aluminum look works okay with some colors, not so good with others IMHO. I had a choice between a Brilliant Black and Daytona Gray S3 with same options and I'm glad I went with Daytona now. I've owned black cars and they're just a real PIA to keep clean. This should prove to be slightly better but we'll see .
Attached Thumbnails Daytona Gray is an interesting color...-imag0809.jpg   Daytona Gray is an interesting color...-imag0803.jpg  
Old 04-21-2017, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, you just keep making my day better and better. Ordering an expensive car and being not really positive you picked the right color is an odd feeling. Thanks to you, I'm 110% sure I picked the correct color for me; Daytona grey. Thanks again Timmay!

Your S3 looks really sweet. Weather is getting nicer so enjoy the back roads when you can. I've mentioned this before but my current S3 is the one thing that definitely puts a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel. Oddly, not driving it much or at all lately. Having ordered the RS3, I'm in the process of selling my Stage II S3 privately. Would get burned on a trade. Don't want anything to happen to it and don't want to put on many more miles. 22K miles now. Know of anyone interested in a black, blemishless 2015 S3, point them in my direction! :-)
Old 04-21-2017, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Fixeroh! You are definitely making me more confident in my decision to switch from Nardo to Daytona for my RS3.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I posted this thread with you guys in mind!
Seriously though, you guys will definitely like your new cars in this color, no doubt about it. It strikes a good balance between colors I typically get (black or white/silver) but I decided on getting a shade of gray for the first time in my life.

You may have seen my remarks in the other thread concerning Nardo but it just didn't do anything for me. On top of that, if that is costing an additional $3,900 that's just crazy IMO. Not worth it.

I'll go with the $575 Daytona
Old 04-21-2017, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Oh and I'll be getting some tint this weekend so it should make this car pop even more!!
Old 04-21-2017, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Timmay
Oh and I'll be getting some tint this weekend so it should make this car pop even more!!
Thanks for sharing the pictures Timmay, the reason that color looks so different depending on the time of the day it's because Daytona grey is a pearl effect color. I absolutely love the Daytona grey and there is no doubt in my mind that I picked the right color for my RS3 even tough it seems most people are opting for Daytona. It doesn't bother me at all not even after driving an monsoon grey S4 for the past 3 years.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

For your viewing pleasure. Snapped a few more and they turned out okay. Even have a nice cloud formation going
Attached Thumbnails Daytona Gray is an interesting color...-imag0811.jpg   Daytona Gray is an interesting color...-imag0810.jpg   Daytona Gray is an interesting color...-imag0812.jpg  
Old 04-21-2017, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Timmay: Excellent photos! Of an excellent car! But what's with the Kia dealership in the background? LOL

Think you might have that incorrect about the Nardo grey and the pricing. Nardo is actually 'free'. It's not metallic, pearl effect or one of the special optional colors. Viper Green and a few other vibrant colors are in the $3900 pricing plan.

Thanks again for sharing the photos with us. And the associated peace of mind. :-)
Old 04-21-2017, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
Timmay: Excellent photos! Of an excellent car! But what's with the Kia dealership in the background? LOL

Think you might have that incorrect about the Nardo grey and the pricing. Nardo is actually 'free'. It's not metallic, pearl effect or one of the special optional colors. Viper Green and a few other vibrant colors are in the $3900 pricing plan.

Thanks again for sharing the photos with us. And the associated peace of mind. :-)
Fixeroh,
Yeah I know, right? Kind've ruins the photo op, oh well. My dealer has several brands under their name and Kia happens to be one of them, go figure. I learned they're the largest volume seller of R8s in the US which I didn't know .

Oh my bad about the cost for Nardo, I must have misread a comment somewhere. Clearly I was not paying close attention! Well thank god it's not a cost option for those opting for it. LOL. Hey glad I could provide you with a peace of mind

On a completely different note, when I was at the dealer previously I couldn't help but see an interesting contrast between 2 vehicles in the showroom side-by-side. A Nardo RS7 and a Vegas Yellow TTS. Have pics of the TTS but none of the Nardo. Both with Black Optic package.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My Daytona S3 is roughly 1 month old, and I am more than happy with it. Mine is pretty much the same as yours, except I have Red interior rather than black. I think the color is pretty damn nice, and I also like how the color seems to change a little depending on light.

Quick Reply: Daytona Gray is an interesting color...