Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Door Dinge... what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Door Dinge... what to do?

So the other day I was parked on a hill here in SF. The crap car next to me must of hit my car and hard as they left a dent in the passenger door. I didn't notice till I got home so I didn't get the persons info.

How much do you think this would cost to fix? I was thinking I could just take the interior trim pieces off and try and push the dent out, but it's right at the crease so it looks a little difficult.

Besides the dent, looks like it will need a small amount of touchup and then buffed out. I haven't had the time to call any places yet and don't want to go through my insurance as I'm not willing to have that go up. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Side View

Top view
Old 08-13-2015, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I have been amazed what Dent-X type of repairs can achieve. This is on the crease of the panel, so popping the dent alone will probably not solve it. Why don't you look up on Google for Dent-X and stop by their place of business. I am sure there is one near your dealer.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's exactly what I had in mind and thank you for the suggestion! I'm hoping they will be able to figure it out since its on the crease... luckily its convex and not concave.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Not trying to scare you, and I did have scrapes in addition (I kissed a guard rail), but the door panels are probably aluminum which requires special techniques and tools to work with. I had dents on the door edge and they had to be repaired with heat by an aluminum trained tech in a dedicated clean repair area of the collision center. Then they had to completely repaint the right side doors so the paint would match. Just be prepared in case it's more than you are anticipating when you take it in.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel ya man. I lived in SF for 4 years and my poor car took a beating. I love the city, hate driving in it/through it tho.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks. I had my rear bumper painted at the dealer and they dinged my rear panel below the trunk lid. Dent xx fixed it perfectly although there is a little scuff mark on the paint they couldn't fix. Not all dent repairmen are created equal. You're local to me, I'll try to find the car who fixed mine and PM you.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Many Audi dealers have a "house" paintless repair company they use. Some offer ding protection packages as well.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also in SF, the land of who-cares-about-cars (especially yours) they are destroying the planet, someone put groceries (or something) on the truck lid of my S3 when it had 125 miles on it. Ugh. So pissed.

Body shops around here are super unhelpful, almost looking at me like, "dude, whats the big deal" and told me I should make a claim and that they'd have to repaint the whole lid.

I've been trying multiple scratch repairs... but back to you...

I feel ya, let us know what the shops say, should be covered under comp insurance, and I think he's right, it's aluminum, yikes.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Aluminum Body parts

Per Audi eSelf Study Program 690143 - The 2015 Audi A3 Introduction
Sales and Aftersales

The following components are made from aluminum:
  • the front bumper cross member
  • the hood
  • the rear hat shelf
Old 08-15-2015, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

That;s fortunate for the OP re a repair. On the A6 C7, the door panels, quarter panels and front fenders are also aluminum.

Quick Reply: Door Dinge... what to do?