Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Driven: 2018 RS3 vs 2018 S4

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice comparison

Thanks
Old 05-05-2018, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Whiteshadow89
Hi Everyone,
I was recently in the market to upgrade my 2015 S3 to something more. Two of the vehicles I had the luxury to drive as potential replacements were the 2018 RS3 and 2018 S4. Part of me is doing this review just to share my thoughts, but I also wanted to share this review as I found a few articles of people asking "RS3 or S4?". Some of the information in these articles were good, some were not, and you rarely found people that had spent wheel time behind both cars back to back. I am hoping this post provides a good read, and helps those that will ask the question of "which car? RS3 or S4?" Truthfully I am not really sure if I should have posted this here in the RS3 section, or in the S4 section haha. Anyways, onto the comparison
Details
-RS3 driven was loaded minus the dynamic plus package.
-S4 driven was a prestige with every option minus the dynamic steering.
-Both cars were driven back to back on the same roads. The drive had city/around town, highway, and back road spirited driving.

Exterior
Winner: RS3
This is completely subjective so I will keep this short. I prefer the looks of the RS3 more than the S4. The RS3 has added lines to the body that lend an extra level of aggression that the S4 lacks. It is also worth noting that the dual oval black exhaust outlets, diffuser, and black optics package really set the RS3 off. It lets you know there is something to this car without being over the top like the Civic Type R is.

Interior
Winner: S4
This is not to say the RS3 has a bad interior because it doesn't. The RS3 has an interior worthy of its price tag, and areas like the cockpit feel I actually preferred in the RS3 over the S4. Still the RS3 loses here for two reasons. One, there are some key issues in the RS3's interior. Things like power seats (to be fair they adjust better than some power seats), and no home link on a car in this price range blows my mind. Especially when it's little brother, the S3, has a home link. Two, when I thought about which car looked like a $63K+ interior the S4 is what came to mind more. The S4 makes better use of its extra carbon fiber in the option carbon fiber inlay package. The interior aesthetic is better, the technology is better, and the B&O sound system is a little better as well. Both cars should make most parties happy, but the S4 takes the win here hands down in my book.

Driving & Livability
Winner: RS3
To be clear the S4 is a heck of a car. It is smoother, quieter, and more compliant than the RS3 while still being very capable in performance. So how does the RS3 get the win for this segment? Well for starts the RS3 is dangerously close to the S4 in terms of compliance, and smoothness. During both the around town, and highway driving I was shocked as to how well the RS3 handled bumps, poor winter road patch jobs and etc. Having daily driven an S3 for 3 years I actually preferred how the RS3 took rough road sections...go figure. It was quickly clear to me that the RS3 is a car that can easily be a compliant daily driver. You sit in the RS3 enjoying the B&O sound system, and with the radio on the only other thing you really hear is the glorious turbo 5 exhaust. The Turbo 5 is paired to a 7 speed DCT. It isn't as instantaneous as the S4's turbo 6 and ZF auto, but that is the only thing the S4's engine/tranny does better in my opinion. I found the turbo 5 to be tame below 3500-4000rpm, and the DCT shifts smoothly. I also have to admit I appreciated the versatility of the RS sport exhaust. Was nice to have the ability to set the engine sound to dynamic to hear more of that glorious exhaust note, and when you want things to be quieter you set the engine sound to comfort which leaves the baffle closed.

Being "dangerously close" shouldn't be enough to win here, and well it isn't. The final reason why the RS3 won this segment was its playful, yet lovable personality. This is a car that is fine being tame, but it will 100% tempt you to do things behind the wheel that you shouldn't do. This playful and lovable personality the RS3 has is thanks to some of its key attributes. The RS3 is quick, agile, responsive, and its engine has a heart of gold. I found myself smiling, and just having more fun behind the wheel of the RS3 when driving around town, or even on the highway. When you combine this level of fun in life's mundane driving moments, and the fact that the RS3 is very close to the S4 in terms of daily driving compliance, you get a car that just deserves to win.

To me the largest pro of the S4 in this segment was space. Space is not something to ignore but coming from an S3 for 3 years as a daily driver I knew what the RS3 could do. It can hold my rifles for range day, it can hold my golf clubs, go grocery shipping, and it can hold 4 tires for when they need to be replaced. I was also able to go on road trips in comfort with my wife in the S3, and we have double dated with two adults in the back without scuff marks on the doors when they get out. I am sure our friends would have loved some extra space, but no one complained to begin with. I am sure many people need the extra space of the S4, and that is a legit need, just not for me.

Dynamic Driving & Performance
Winner: RS3.
During my time behind the wheel I was limited with what I could do, but I was able to do enough to know that the RS3 feeds the S4 humble pie. If you remember I stated that the RS3 is a car that tries to tempt you into doing things you shouldn't do, well when you do give into temptation the RS3 acts as if Motley Crue's "kickstart my heart" started playing as it screams in joy "OH! YEAH!!" In a corner the RS3 is so eager, planted, nimble, and easy to approach its limits. The chassis is just flat out better suited for spirited driving than the S4's chassis. It doesn't stop here though. The steering is also light years better. From a driving standpoint in the S4, the steering was one of the aspects I just didn't care for. The S4 was numb, and a tad too light in dynamic (felt like my S3 in auto). The RS3 actually does try to communicate, and the weight is proper for the RS3 given what it is capable of. Between the steering and the chassis, the RS3 generates a level of confidence that dwarfs the confidence the S4 inspires.

The engine, and DCT really shine even more under dynamic situations. The S4 is one of the best ZF auto's I have touched, and it does a great job; however compared to the RS3's DCT it takes a back seat. The 7 speed DCT is extremely initiative. For a new car it provided shifts closer to where I wanted them, and it was blazing quick when a shift needed to be performed. Audi has definitely upgraded the transmission tune on the RS3 when I think about how my S3 was. The turbo 5 that burbles around town, just whales and roars over 4k rpm. During my test drive I could only go so with the engine, but enough to know it could punch my spine into the seat with incredible force. This surprise of power when I wasn't even going all out was just intoxicating. Simply put it doesn't feel just a little quicker than an S4, but in a different league of power. It should surprise no one here that the very capable S4 would be humbled here by the RS3.

Conclusion
When I got done with the S4 I was impressed, and I knew I had a real contender compared to everything else driven. The RS3 on the other hand when I had to turn it over, all I could do was my best Will Smith impression from Independence Day as I exclaimed "I have got to get me one of these!" I went with the RS3 because I felt it was a better balance of fun, sport characteristics, luxury, and compliance. The S4 may be smoother, but motortrend uses the term "smoove" for a reason to describe the S4. The S4 is luxurious, and smooth....too smooth to the point where it filters out some of the excitement. It wasn't that the S4 wasn't a good car, it is, but the RS3 was just better. I didn't care that the RS3 ran me 2-3k more than the S4 would have after discount. The RS3 just took it to the other cars that I drove. So far into my ownership with the RS3 it has continued to impressive and provide me a ton of joy while being very tame when I need it to be. I know finding an RS3 to drive is very hard; whether it is finding one to drive, or an Audi dealer to let you drive one. If you get the chance, take it as you won't regret it. If you can’t find one to drive, then take a leap of faith knowing that it is one heck of car that does indeed live up to its hype. I hope you all enjoyed this post. I hope I could help some that were curious between these two cars, and I hope I didn't offend anyone here with what was said here.
That was a a great review IMO and was basically the way I felt when I compared the two. I also liked the the RS3 and its size reminded me of my 2001 S4 that I loved back in the day. Congrats on the RS3; it's gorgeous!
Old 05-05-2018, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Yep, ZF8, too. It's got a smaller and lighter torque converter that locks more aggressively and sooner to get some of the feel back. Unfortunately, the dual clutch transmissions are on the way out, too. The powers in charge are convinced that torque converter automatics can be as good. I've yet to see it. But the all-new BMW M5 now has a ZF8. The next M3/4 is rumored to get the ZF8 as well. Many other sport cars use the ZF8 like the Jaguar F-Type etc. Problem is the majority of customers who buy these cars do so because they have the money, but then just drive to/from work and get their groceries with it and then complain if the car doesn't drive super smooth while going 15 mph on the Interstate.
+1 Amen brother and completely ROTFLMAO!!! Really appreciated your comparison of the older RS5 versus the 2018 RS5. I saw the new RS5 when I was done in Huntsville, AL recently and was surprised by the overall size of it but didn't get to drive it so again, I really appreciate your views on the new different models. I also agree with going with the RS models makes it really tough to go back to an "A" or "S".
Old 05-05-2018, 09:44 AM
wbw
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great review and pictures.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wbw
Great review and pictures.
Thanks man!

Originally Posted by Eran Levi
Very nice comparison

Thanks
Thank you!

Originally Posted by superswiss
Even the good DCTs can be a bit clunky in stop&go traffic. You'll have to finesse it a bit at times, which I love to do. I would say overall a DCT is more involved and requires some thinking, whereas regular automatics are stomp&go. No thinking required. I think it's the latter that especially American drivers want in a car. For example the A6 is sold with the ZF8 in the USA, whereas in Europe it can be had with the DSG. I feel the new RS5 is primarily targeted at the US market. Performance cars still sell well here, whereas in Europe they are tougher and tougher to sell with taxes based on size of engine and CO2 emissions as well as a growing antisocial image. Audi Sport is after the mass market to sell more RS vehicles. The old RS5 was deliberately limited production and I'm guessing the people who bought one like me, really wanted it. There were none on the lots or in the showrooms when I bought mine. I ordered w/o driving one and only saw it briefly at the San Francisco Autoshow. The new one you can see in the showrooms now. My dealer has one, which they marked up by $10k and it's not selling. I'm wondering if they marked it up to try to keep it in the showroom for a bit, but they certainly have no takers so far.
I noticed that in my S3. The DCT reminds me a little of a manual in the sense of having to finesse it from a dead stop at times, but with the updated TTRS and RS3 DCT's they are still pretty smooth off the line when driving around town. People that buy RS models want a livable car that has the highest tier of driving dynamics from Audi, which is why I am dumb founded that the RS5 has a ZF 8 auto. Wow, that is bad. I detest dealer mark up, nothing short of greed. I remember towards the end of the previous gen RS5's life my father drove one on a test drive and our local dealer was willing to heavily discount the RS5.

Originally Posted by russbert
That was a a great review IMO and was basically the way I felt when I compared the two. I also liked the the RS3 and its size reminded me of my 2001 S4 that I loved back in the day. Congrats on the RS3; it's gorgeous!
Size wise they are pretty similar! Both classic cars for Audi. Thanks man, I am loving it so far!
Old 05-06-2018, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Great review and congratulations -- the car is beautiful.

What the review did, for me, is make me long for an RS4 sedan (not that an Avant wouldn't be great too) -- but, I'm also hoping for an allroad with the S3 engine, that certainly would be fascinating.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Very helpful review, OP, I appreciate it. As someone who is still evaluating their options it's nice to have other perspectives and comparisons like this to reference. Enjoy your RS3!
Old 05-08-2018, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Very nice and detailed review
Old 10-24-2018, 04:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Excellent review! I purchased my first Audi in May of 18. A white RS3, so I like your taste! When you say the car temps you to do things you shouldn't do, you are correct. It's just too much fun.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tincandriver

Excellent review! I purchased my first Audi in May of 18. A white RS3, so I like your taste! When you say the car temps you to do things you shouldn't do, you are correct. It's just too much fun.
Very nice choice of color there, though I may be bias there haha. yea its playful personality is something that really separates it from the competition in this segment.

Originally Posted by MattRG
Very helpful review, OP, I appreciate it. As someone who is still evaluating their options it's nice to have other perspectives and comparisons like this to reference. Enjoy your RS3!
Thanks! Happy it helped, and hopefully it will help others in the future. Definitely a distinct difference between these cars in Audi's stable even if they are all listed as sport luxury vehicles.

Quick Reply: Driven: 2018 RS3 vs 2018 S4