Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Extended Warranty.....is it really needed???

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Timmay
Don't mean to hijack this dialog but I'm willing to bet it costs a hell of a lot more to repair 997s.
but I can validate the cost in my head.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vancity88
I just had my whole transmission changed under warranty for my 2016 S3, which cost about $15,000 due to an internal problem. Just saying ..
WOW.

OP, this seems to be your answer right here.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Diztek
good to know. can i ask which warranty company you went with?

also, (sorry), was your 997s pretty reliable, and would ever see a problem with buying one used?
The warranty company I used was Fidelity, which was at the time sold through Costco and rated very highly among extended warranty companies. Costco no longer sells extended warranties, but mine is still in force and as I say, has proven invaluable.

My 997 was well kept and never tracked. It was quite reliable up to 60k miles, when it was diagnosed with scoring in the #6 cylinder, which was allowing fuel to leak past the piston and made it just a matter of time before total engine failure. The #6 cylinder scoring was a problem with the 997 3.6 engine often reported in the forums. Porsche offered me a $2k discount on a reconditioned replacement engine ($28k). Porsche and my dealer both said that was the only option. I have since learned about companies that drop in a sleeve and (if I understood correctly, resize the piston to fit the revised dimension. Because I had no extended warranty, I sold the car to a dealer. A good friend and I have had extended warranties on AMG MBs, Audis and a Porsche Cayenne Turbo. Every one of these warranties has paid for itself within 2 years after the factory warranty expired and on my Audi S5, within 1 year. Mine is a small statistical sample size, to be sure, but it's simple math. One or at most two suspension, bushing, motor mount, fuel pump or similar failures will pay for the warranty on any car with high repair costs. I wouldn't buy one for a Toyota or a Honda. For a BMW, Porsche, MB, Alfa, Maserati, Jag or Audi, I wouldn't be without one.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by iampraneel
My 2015 S3 is about the cross the 50k threshold this summer and I’m wondering if an extended warranty is needed on this car. The only real issue I’ve read about these cars is the Haldex, unless I’m missing something, please chime in.

If I do get the warranty I’ve been quoted 72m/84k for $2,700 with a $100 deductible.
YES! Get the warranty! I've heard horror stories, and regardless of how well you care for your Audi, those electronics and computers eventually fail and malfunction and it's THOUSANDS of dollars. Do NOT go with a 3rd party warranty! It may be cheaper but you will have to jump mountains to get them to pay a claim most times. Seriously, go through Audi' s warranty that is sold at the Audi dealer. I bought my extended warranty just days before my new car warranty expired through San Diego Audi and I went through Joyce Jung. Call her or you can reach her at Joyce.Jung@audisandiego.com. I called 3 different Audi dealers for price quotes and Joyce gave me the best price. I got the Audi Platinum Package and my car now is covered for an additional 6 years (til 2024) and to 100k mi, which ever occurs first. Not only did I get the best coverage (Platinum) and price, but I was able to use Audi financing with ZERO interest! Audi use to use a 3rd party but now it comes straight thru Audi. There are so many electronics, it's a MUST now to have an extended warranty before your current warranty runs out. Dont wait til you are out of warranty since you will pay more for the warranty and then pay for an inspection. Regardless of where you are located, Joyce can provide you a quote, and if you want to go with her she can do everything over email and get you covered. She's great! You can get your Audi Care from her as well.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Sundiego1
YES! Get the warranty! I've heard horror stories, and regardless of how well you care for your Audi, those electronics and computers eventually fail and malfunction and it's THOUSANDS of dollars. Do NOT go with a 3rd party warranty! It may be cheaper but you will have to jump mountains to get them to pay a claim most times. Seriously, go through Audi' s warranty that is sold at the Audi dealer. I bought my extended warranty just days before my new car warranty expired through San Diego Audi and I went through Joyce Jung. Call her or you can reach her at Joyce.Jung@audisandiego.com. I called 3 different Audi dealers for price quotes and Joyce gave me the best price. I got the Audi Platinum Package and my car now is covered for an additional 6 years (til 2024) and to 100k mi, which ever occurs first. Not only did I get the best coverage (Platinum) and price, but I was able to use Audi financing with ZERO interest! Audi use to use a 3rd party but now it comes straight thru Audi. There are so many electronics, it's a MUST now to have an extended warranty before your current warranty runs out. Dont wait til you are out of warranty since you will pay more for the warranty and then pay for an inspection. Regardless of where you are located, Joyce can provide you a quote, and if you want to go with her she can do everything over email and get you covered. She's great! You can get your Audi Care from her as well.
Thanks, Joyce.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Somewhat related to this subject matter, my dealer provides a 10 year 100k mile warranty on the "power train" for all new Audis purchased from them. Wouldn't the transmission be considered part of the power train? If so, that's a nice peace of mind.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Timmay
Somewhat related to this subject matter, my dealer provides a 10 year 100k mile warranty on the "power train" for all new Audis purchased from them. Wouldn't the transmission be considered part of the power train? If so, that's a nice peace of mind.
The 10 year/100k miles is actually 6 ADDITIONAL years added to the 4 year new car warranty (4 for new car warranty + 6 for extended warranty makes the 10 years of warranty coverage. So it is really 6 years and up to when your car reaches 100k miles.. The power train warranty covers engine, transmission, drive axle and your hybrid if your car happens a to be hybrid. It's the most basic warranty you can get from Audi. It's nice they included that in there for you. It will give you some relief if something were to happen to your car related to the power train. As long as you are still under your new car warranty, you are covered for the electrical system, computers, heater/A.C, Navigation, etc. But after the new car warranty expires you won' be covered for those things. Before your new car warranty expires I would consider getting an extended warranty thru Audi. The person I used at Audi (Joyce) is great, and she gave me a great price and even offered interest free financing thru Audi. I got the highest protection (plantinum) and will be covered for 6 additional years and til my 2014 Audi A5 Convertible reaches 100k miles. That's a total of 10 years of coverage for my car. It cost me $3,080. To get that type of coverage thru Audi is normally $4,700, give or take at starting. Better to go thru Audi warranties then 3rd party. Goggle 3rd party warranties. It' a nightmare. When something serious happens, most times you will NOT get your claim paid.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Sundiego1
The 10 year/100k miles is actually 6 ADDITIONAL years added to the 4 year new car warranty (4 for new car warranty + 6 for extended warranty makes the 10 years of warranty coverage. So it is really 6 years and up to when your car reaches 100k miles.. The power train warranty covers engine, transmission, drive axle and your hybrid if your car happens a to be hybrid. It's the most basic warranty you can get from Audi. It's nice they included that in there for you. It will give you some relief if something were to happen to your car related to the power train. As long as you are still under your new car warranty, you are covered for the electrical system, computers, heater/A.C, Navigation, etc. But after the new car warranty expires you won' be covered for those things. Before your new car warranty expires I would consider getting an extended warranty thru Audi. The person I used at Audi (Joyce) is great, and she gave me a great price and even offered interest free financing thru Audi. I got the highest protection (plantinum) and will be covered for 6 additional years and til my 2014 Audi A5 Convertible reaches 100k miles. That's a total of 10 years of coverage for my car. It cost me $3,080. To get that type of coverage thru Audi is normally $4,700, give or take at starting. Better to go thru Audi warranties then 3rd party. Goggle 3rd party warranties. It' a nightmare. When something serious happens, most times you will NOT get your claim paid.
The third-party (TP) warranties cost about half what Audi or Porsche charge for the same thing, but you definitely have to do your homework. Some TPs are more reputable than others, and a number have gone bankrupt in the last decade. However, even if you go through the dealer/Audi, you might still be getting a third-party contract. Porsche's extended warranties were, and I think still are, through a third party (I don't know if that's true for Audi). If you pay that much, be sure there is legal language that if the TP goes under, Audi will take responsibility. Otherwise, Audi is just recommending them (and perhaps taking a fee), and you are paying a lot for that recommendation. When I got my last extended in 2013, I researched the consumer reports type sources for the best ones, and found the Costco/Fidelity program through that process.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes Audi used to use a 3rd party which was Fidelity. I'm
not sure when they stopped. Now they no longer use Fidelity and Audi now has developed their own warranty program. So when you ask to go thru Audi,, it is going thru Audi. However they do sell third party as well. Me personally I didn't consider the 3rd party and just went thru Audi.

QUOTE=Rynjim;25126181]The third-party (TP) warranties cost about half what Audi or Porsche charge for the same thing, but you definitely have to do your homework. Some TPs are more reputable than others, and a number have gone bankrupt in the last decade. However, even if you go through the dealer/Audi, you might still be getting a third-party contract. Porsche's extended warranties were, and I think still are, through a third party (I don't know if that's true for Audi). If you pay that much, be sure there is legal language that if the TP goes under, Audi will take responsibility. Otherwise, Audi is just recommending them (and perhaps taking a fee), and you are paying a lot for that recommendation. When I got my last extended in 2013, I researched the consumer reports type sources for the best ones, and found the Costco/Fidelity program through that process.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-23-2018, 01:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the heads up Sundiego1!

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty.....is it really needed???