Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Finally... Pics of the new S3 !!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iampraneel

I have a 2018 S5 SB, the settings I posted with the bullets are the setting I would need to change to. So for example Apple_DIO my default says ON. I’m assuming yours says ON also.

A lot of it doesn’t make sense because it counters the equipment I have, thus the reason why I want to leave those alone.
Right, those settings are from a 2016 TT which doesn't have stuff like apple CarPlay, the ability to have a second phone profile, etc. I wouldn't change any of those options. Also, the TT runs all of its MMI on its VC - it doesn't have a secondary screen like the rest of us - and there are settings in there as well that pertain just to that. All of the settings that you posted I didn't even touch on my car - whether they matched up to what Tesla had posted or not (for instance I'm using PSD version 1.5 because that is what my had default - not 1.4).
Old 08-27-2018, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boniclass
First you need to understand how the MIB works :

Audi Infotainment Modular Platform (MIB)

Infotainment Modular Platform (MIB *)
The Modular Infotainment Baukasten (German), a new milestone by the Volkswagen Group, is designed to take over the infotainment systems used to date. Thanks to the architecture of the computers, it is possible to easily update the equipment in order to keep it at the latest technology. One of the most important components is the powerful graphic processor of the Nvidia brand, the market leader with whom Audi has a very fruitful cooperation. The latest Nvidia processors will continue to equip Audi vehicles in the future.
The new platform allows the use of the same central computers (information electronics calculator 1 J794) throughout the Group. It will therefore be possible to develop variants specific to each brand on the basis of standardized hardware platforms. To allow the differentiation of the models within each brand, an adaptation of the user interface and of the control elements may, for example, be carried out.
The client will thus be able to note clear differences between the systems. He will always recognize in the system installed on his Audi an authentic Audi MMI. The Modular Infotainment Baukasten (MIB) is used for the first time on the 2013 Audi A3.
At present, the MIB is available at Audi in three levels of range:
• MIB Entry
• Standard MIB
• MIB High
One brand of the group is responsible for each of these range levels. AUDI AG is responsible for the development of the MIB High, Volkswagen of the MIB Standard and Škoda of the MIB Entry.

Infotainment Modular Platform (MIB *)
The Modular Infotainment Baukasten (German), a new milestone by the Volkswagen Group, is designed to take over the infotainment systems used to date. Thanks to the architecture of the computers, it is possible to easily update the equipment in order to keep it at the latest technology. One of the most important components is the powerful graphic processor of the Nvidia brand, the market leader with whom Audi has a very fruitful cooperation. The latest Nvidia processors will continue to equip Audi vehicles in the future.
The new platform allows the use of the same central computers (information electronics calculator 1 J794) throughout the Group. It will therefore be possible to develop variants specific to each brand on the basis of standardized hardware platforms. To allow the differentiation of the models within each brand, an adaptation of the user interface and of the control elements may, for example, be carried out.
The client will thus be able to note clear differences between the systems. He will always recognize in the system installed on his Audi an authentic Audi MMI. The Modular Infotainment Baukasten (MIB) is used for the first time on the 2013 Audi A3.
At present, the MIB is available at Audi in three levels of range:
• MIB Entry
• Standard MIB
• MIB High
One brand of the group is responsible for each of these range levels. AUDI AG is responsible for the development of the MIB High, Volkswagen of the MIB Standard and Škoda of the MIB Entry.

Introduction
Why implement the modular infotainment platform on Audi models?
Given the staggering speed that multimedia applications are evolving, automakers are faced with an increasing challenge to stay current. For example, many mobile phone manufacturers are renewing their high-end models every year, while continuously developing the associated software offering. For their part, motorists want to connect their latest mobile phones to the infotainment system at any time.
To keep up with these constantly changing requirements, manufacturers must also shorten the development cycle of infotainment systems.
To achieve this objective, the information electronics calculator 1 J794 has been designed in a modular manner. This means that the design of future computers will only have to be partially modified, with the rest of the hardware remaining unchanged. Thus, components that are not subjected to rapid evolution, such as radio tuner and amplifiers, will remain identical.
For the sake of simplicity, only the computer (MMX card) will be replaced in the computer of information electronics 1. On the 2013 Audi A3, the MMX (Multi Media Extension) card itself is equipped with a Nvidia processor Double heart. This is the Tegra T20, which is clocked at 1.2 GHz.
Replacing the MMX card will in the future change the motherboard and graphics card of a PC to make it "faster".
The software part of the MIB is also designed in a modular way, so that "old" and "new" software can be used together in a new computer. For example, the "old software" could be the CAN data protocol, which is still in use, while "new software" for Bluetooth profiles will often have to be developed.

I won’t explain all the system but I will focus on what you guys want to know.

To remove the MIB, you need a pair of those:

Available here: Car Stereo Radio Removal Remove 4 keys for Audi Mercedes Benz Ford Volkswagen | eBay

The Bluetooth car phone online (Audi connect with car phone) The designation "Bluetooth car phone online" used until now changes from the launch of the 2013 Audi A3 to become "Audi connect with car phone". For simplicity, only the term "car phone" will be used hereinafter. On a modular infotainment platform equipped with the optional "car phone", the J794 electronic information computer 1 is equipped with a telephone module and a SIM card reader. The car phone equipment version also includes all the functions of the Bluetooth interface. For example, it is possible to connect a mobile phone via the Hands-Free Profile (HFP *). In this case, the telephone module integrated into the electronic information computer 1 J794 is not used. The phone module integrated into the J794 is designed for GSM * and UMTS * networks. The phone module can be activated in two different ways: • Via a SIM card inserted in the SIM card reader • Using a mobile phone connected via the SAP profile * (SIM Access Profile) The type of connection used by the "car phone" at a given time is shown at the bottom right on the MMI screen. The display shows 2G for the GSM network, 3G for the UMTS network, 4G or LTE. If there is also a data connection, the display shows a double arrow. Audi connect with car phone carries the PR number "9ZK" (which corresponds to the designation "Telephony (rSAP)").

SIM card reader
The SIM card reader is only mounted on vehicles equipped with an optional Bluetooth car phone. It is used as a physical housing for a mini SIM card.

The purple connector is for the cell phone antenna of the MIB.

Looks like this on our models:

The purple connector is a Fakra (SMB) female straight "D" connector. It's better to have a double connector but it's not needed.

I bought a 4 GLTE Antenna with this type of connector at the end.

The reason why you need to do this, is that Audi didn't wire this connector to the roof top antenna.

There is also some coding needed to enable this. I will come back with this...
Hi,

I'd really like to know where and what antenna model you purchased. I am in Canada and havong a hard time finding one. All I can seem to find are GPS antennas.

Thanks!​​​​​​​
Old 11-13-2018, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks alot guys. I was able to get Google up and running in the Q7. Question. What is the coding to get your phone to be a hotspot for the vehicle?
Old 12-12-2019, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by iampraneel

I have a 2018 S5 SB, the settings I posted with the bullets are the setting I would need to change to. So for example Apple_DIO my default says ON. I’m assuming yours says ON also.

A lot of it doesn’t make sense because it counters the equipment I have, thus the reason why I want to leave those alone.
Originally Posted by Nachos Libres
Traffic doesn't work because I don't have a subscription to SiriusXM traffic (or whatever you call that) though I suspect if you did it would work.

I basically did all the changes that Tesla noted above - but some of the options were already enabled in my 2017 USDM S3 - so I will just list the ones that I had to change (these are all Adaptations in Vehicle Configuration of the (5F) Information Control Unit:

Internal SIM card, use: automatic (old setting was Always - and honestly this setting may not even need to be changed)
picture_navi: On (old setting was Off)
online_dictation: On (old setting was Off)
Phone_module_operation_mode: Data & language service active (old setting was only data service act.)
WiFi_Client_HMI: On (old setting was Off but another setting I'm not sure that needs to be changed)
Sim_card_mode_switch: Present (old setting was Not Present - but again not sure it needs to be changed for this)
SDS_Region_Flag: no_region (old setting was REGION_NAR - I believe this setting defaults what maps you are able to download OTA in System Maintenance / Map Update)
remote_HMI: Off (old setting was On - this is the setting that turns off the Audi Connect submenu from the MMI menu and was what finally allowed me to use the Google navigation overlays with the internal SIM without Audi Connect subscription).

I didn't have to do any long coding changes or any other adaption changes like Tesla did as my S3 already had those codings/adaptions active (I suspect because I have a USDM model and he has a Canadian model which needed additional changes to get it to work - especially since they don't have access to Audi Connect and Google navigational overlays by default).
I hate to bump this old thread, but can you confirm that this still works on your S3 and B9 S5?

I have a B9 as well, and I'm just curious if disabling/off 'remote_HMI' will prevent the myAudi app from working and querying your vehicle status.
Old 08-20-2020, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boniclass
I am using a nano sim I think. I have a Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ it's the same size. I tried it with Rogers, Bell, Telus... Flawless... You just need to setup the APN and your ready to go... (+ coding of course)

As for the warranty, I went to my dealership before starting to do all my mods. They told me that unless I modify\ chip the engine, I am fine. They even offered to do some coding for me if I tell them what I wanted to mod. They use VCDS to do it. I am more OBD11.

They can always flash it and bring it back to default from the factory based on my discussions with them.

As of now, in Canada, we are getting the US model with some stuff disabled. In OBD11, our VIN number is recognized as a US Model. I am only enabling what the US have enabled.
What did you enter for the APN username and password? I have everything working but can't figure that out?
Old 10-04-2020, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 21tesla
Yes, this can be done with obdeleven. I can try to take some pictures.

It's one long coding selection change in the "5F Information Control Unit":
byte_15_Phone_NAD:
Old value: Off
New value: On

And within the adaptations section of 5F (going from memory, all may not be required)
Internal SIM card, use:
automatic
Telephone:
Data & language service active
Telephone data services:
On

Vehicle configuration:
online_POI:
On
online_POI_voice:
Off
online_portal_browser_services:
On
online_navigation:
On
online_street_view:
On
WIFI_Hotspot:
On
picture_navi:
On
gracenote_online_coverarts:
On
gracenote_online_other:
On
gracenote_local_coverarts:
On
gracenote_local_other:
On
LTE_modul:
activated
Sim_card_mode_switch:
Present
WiFi_Client_HMI:
On
I know this is an old thread, but can you post a pic of the back of the unit so that I can see how you connected the LTE antenna? What antenna did you get (interested mostly in the type of connector it has).

I bought an LTE antenna, but I had one connector whereas the unit has two (I’m referring to the purple connector).

Thanks in advance.