Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

S3 Super sport seats uncomfortable

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 11:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S3 Super sport seats uncomfortable

Purchased an almost new 2016 Audi S3 this week, beautiful car and I fell in love with it instantly.
One week into my daily commutes to work and I find the seats bottoms extremely uncomfortable. Im a pretty solid built guy with wide hips, and im basically sitting right on the bolstering feeling the metal bars poking trough.
Im now really debating if I need to sell it and look for something else as the enjoyment of the car is being ruined by the narrow seat bottoms.
Any thoughts or suggestions from anyone?
Old 03-17-2017, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

I haven't compared myself, but I've read/heard numerous times the Super Sport seats are more uncomfortable than the normal Sport seats.

I first saw it mentioned in

To some they may look fancier, but they also seem to make the cabin look smaller and more confining because of the higher back, one piece design.

I understand they are also not power adjustable unlike the regular seats; manually adjusted and uncomfortable is not a good combination for luxury car seats.

Form over function... ?
Old 03-17-2017, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Civuck
I haven't compared myself, but I've read/heard numerous times the Super Sport seats are more uncomfortable than the normal Sport seats.

I first saw it mentioned in this review (@21:15)

To some they may look fancier, but they also seem to make the cabin look smaller and more confining because of the higher back, one piece design.

I understand they are also not power adjustable unlike the regular seats; manually adjusted and uncomfortable is not a good combination for luxury car seats.

Form over function... ?
The super sport seats and the regular sport seats share the same bottom so this doesn't really address OP's concern....

to the OP, I'd say you will have this problem with a wide array of sport seats, if your the situation is as bad as described. You most definitely should avoid sport seats altogether, no matter which vehicle you purchase in the future, whether its BMW, Audi, etc.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by junkstory
The super sport seats and the regular sport seats share the same bottom so this doesn't really address OP's concern....

to the OP, I'd say you will have this problem with a wide array of sport seats, if your the situation is as bad as described. You most definitely should avoid sport seats altogether, no matter which vehicle you purchase in the future, whether its BMW, Audi, etc.

I also drove the M235i and it was a real struggle deciding between the 2 cars as they were both fantastic, I went with the Audi because the the tech seemed more advanced and the B&O stereo is amazing.

I remember the seats in the 235i were quite comfortable but then again I didn't sit and completely adjust the seat to my liking. Tomorrow Im heading to see the 235i again, if seats are as good as remembered I may try to work a trade in deal. Just drove in to work again today and the enjoyment of the S3 is totally ruined by the seat bottoms
Old 03-18-2017, 03:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you are willing to go so far as trading in the car, perhaps you might want to look into getting the regular sport seats. I actually owned a BMW 3 series with the same seats you experienced in the M235i and I find the regular sport seats in my current S3 are very similar.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I have recently been in a B8.5 S4 with the supersports seats. They are absolute rock solid, I think they made the seat out of concrete instead of foam. Although i love hard seats, but not that hard. My regular sport seats are much better. But it need some time to get use to as I was constantly doing minor adjustments when I first got it. The comfiest seat I think is the base seat.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an M3 convertible with sport seats that had very high and hard side bolsters. Used to bang on the ******* every time I got in or out of the car. Other people on BMW board had same problem and one solution was to remove a metal rod that supported the side bolster. They had to go to upholstery shop to have it done. Don't know if this applies to Audi though.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Some earlier threads on seat comfort...my S4 is uncomfortable and I'm unavoidably vision impaired with wheel pretty much blocking my view of the high beam (and blinker) indicator. The best workaround for me is a cheap seat cushion...mine looks crappy butt it was free...butt it feels better butt still no prize. I endure it by enjoying most of the rest of the car. I've recently seen ads for a 'purple seat' pad that looks interesting butt haven't tried yet. If anyone is familiar...please share.

Good luck to the OP...
Old 03-24-2017, 03:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a similar issue with my Golf R. The seat bottom just isn't comfortable. I never considered myself wide hipped, but I always had bigger legs mainly thighs and calves. I constantly feel the metal bar under the foam poking me in the side of my legs and avoid long drives otherwise I am constantly shifting my position. I didn't have a problem in my last Golf R either so it is something probably to do with cost savings and the foam they use. I wouldn't be surprised to see the foam wasn't as thick. We ran into a similar issue at work. We ordered replacement chairs and the new chair had almost no foam in the seats so you could feel the crossbar so we sent them all back. They were the same make, model, and company as our current chairs.

I don't remember having an issue with the M235i either, but I think the adjustable bolsters helped a lot. I don't remember the S3 being an issue, but I didn't put that much seat time in since I sat way too high and hit the ceiling in the S3 even though I am only 6'0". It is actually what pushed me to the Golf R.

This definitely has me second guessing the RS3 assuming I fit without the sunroof.