Front License Plate Removal - AudiWorld Forums

Notices
Audi A3 / S3 /RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 and up Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Front License Plate Removal

Old 03-20-2017, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Front License Plate Removal

Hey hey,

Just drove home my new 2017 A3 (Brilliant Black, Chestnut Brown interior, Premium Plus) and I'm loving it. What I'm not loving is the front license plate holder.

Has anyone had any success removing this? Does it come off cleanly leaving no marks?

Thanks!!!
Old 03-20-2017, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It's just snapped into the grill. Take a flat blade screw driver and slide into the 2 holes near the top to remove the metal holding clips (be careful not to lose if you plan to reattach). Then just pop it off.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SYMAWD View Post
It's just snapped into the grill. Take a flat blade screw driver and slide into the 2 holes near the top to remove the metal holding clips (be careful not to lose if you plan to reattach). Then just pop it off.
The top part doesn't too difficult to pop off. The lower part seems to be on there tight. I'm worried I'm gonna rip off the grill!
Old 03-20-2017, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by forsyth691 View Post
The top part doesn't too difficult to pop off. The lower part seems to be on there tight. I'm worried I'm gonna rip off the grill!
Yes, they do go on tight, but it's just snapped in. Maybe try using some sort of plastic pry tool to try and get under where it snaps in.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was having the same issue and felt like I was going to break my grill, so I just took it to Audi and had them remove it
Old 03-21-2017, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Don't blame you on not loving that front plate holder at all. Ohio requires front plates but I asked my dealer to NOT install the holder on my car. I've been running plateless for over 2 years now. No issues with the law to date. Much cleaner look. Audi grill looks much more aggressive without the holder. Good luck with the removal.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Fixeroh View Post
Don't blame you on not loving that front plate holder at all. Ohio requires front plates but I asked my dealer to NOT install the holder on my car. I've been running plateless for over 2 years now. No issues with the law to date. Much cleaner look. Audi grill looks much more aggressive without the holder. Good luck with the removal.
That's the spirit; VA requires the front plate too. I've never had the guts to go without it. Now I feel inspired; maybe I'll give it a try. Years ago a friend of mine had a Corvette that had came with a Chevy logo insert in the front plate frame. He never could figure out how to get that out and his front plate in, so he drive for 5+ years with not front plate, no problem.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My 2015 had two screws on the bottom. I would check to see if you have them too.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Idwiw View Post
My 2015 had two screws on the bottom. I would check to see if you have them too.
The A3 does not for 2017, but I believe the S3 still does.

Search this Thread