Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

going from 18" to 19" causing vibration on high speed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ionian2k
My friend used his spare wheel spacers to push wheels out so they look better. I think that is most likely the culprit of my problem. He said to get wheel balance and that should fix it. Can someone verify that? Or should I buy new spacers ? What would you recommend? Please include link. Thanks
To clarify a little bit. The addition of Wheel Spacers adds a few more unknowns to the equation. Are the spacers the correct model for your vehicle, Do the spacers feature an extended hub, is that hub the same size as your factory hub? If that extended hub on the spacer is different than the bore on your new wheels, then you will need to add a hub centric ring to center the wheel perfectly on the spacer (the same as you would if mounting the wheels directly to the factory hub). Then of course the spacer needs to be perfectly center on the car's hub.

Lastly are the wheel spacers seated properly on your car and are they in good condition and not bent slightly from say improper torquing pressure/order.

The odds are that the wheels and tires themselves are balanced perfectly from Tire Rack so unless some damage occurred in shipping or the off chance you threw a weight already, the overwhelming likelihood is that your vibration issue is being caused by the hub/spacer situation. There are plenty of spacers out there of dubious quality.

There are ways to measure the runout to pin down exactly where the problem is coming from but that's tedious and involves tools that i'm pretty certain you don't have laying around. So you're left with a more trial and error approach.

Step 1. Find out what the center bore is on the wheels you ordered. If it's the same as the hub size on your car then you won't need hub centric rings if mounting the wheel directly to your hub (no spacers). If it's different then you will need rings.

Step 2. Start looking into potential issues with the Spacers.

Last edited by Zephyr007; 04-27-2017 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My friend said I should try the hub centric spacers. He is a car guy and does lots of DIY with his Audi's. I recall tirerack package came with rings and I doubt they are hub centric . I don't know if I am better off replacing spacers with hub centric ones or just get the centric rings. If I leave them as is and it causes vibration during high speed, will it eventually do any damage to the car? Sorry for dumb question I am a newbie when it comes to this.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ionian2k
My friend said I should try the hub centric spacers. He is a car guy and does lots of DIY with his Audi's. I recall tirerack package came with rings and I doubt they are hub centric . I don't know if I am better off replacing spacers with hub centric ones or just get the centric rings. If I leave them as is and it causes vibration during high speed, will it eventually do any damage to the car? Sorry for dumb question I am a newbie when it comes to this.
The ones that came from tire rack are likely the hubcentric rings you should be using. There should be a size on them. 66.6 to 57.1, something like that. Get rid of the spacers. Run the rings, get rid of the vibration.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by s3burgh
Get rid of the spacers. Run the rings, get rid of the vibration.
I want to replace spacers with a working one as I like the aggressive stance. Do you have any recommendation as to which hub centric spacers I should use?
Old 05-01-2017, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have ECS spacers (S3) and never had any vibration issues. I have used MTM on previous Audis with no issues - but if you use cheap spacers or ones not specifically designed for your Audi you will have the issues you describe
Old 05-02-2017, 01:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

Have you tried taking the existing spacers out to see if the vibration goes away? Seems a simple way to determine if your spacers are the cause of your problem.