Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Happy To Report - Successful Retrofitting of Sport Paddle

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arU4ic
Seems like there must be some sport package module changes - particularly for the tranny… have you put VAGCOM to your car yet to check around? If not, let me know, I'll look the next time I'm poking around in the modules, maybe even tomorrow.
I haven't yet as I don't own a Vagcom. Last time I rented one from a guy down in Mountain View for about 20 bucks ($300 deposit). I'll most likely rent again when someone figures out how to enable dynamic/sport mode via the MMI (need the access code) - if at all capable. I'm suspecting this might be an option only on the google maps navigation MMI connect units. However hoping I'm wrong as I've enabled Navigation, Lane Assist and Lane Departure assist even tho none are functional since the car is not equipped.

Originally Posted by gamegenie
Good you figured out how to exchange out the steering wheel.

I like the round steering wheel over the D-wheel, it makes me feel like I'm in an A8.
I too prefer the Round over the flat-bottom. I've autocrossed a number of cars without a flat bottom and don't really need it to know if I'm dead center. Last time I would always mentally know how many turns left or right I was to know how many to get back to dead center.

Originally Posted by jmick21
Thanks for the tips mroberte, I ended up finding another A3 wheel with paddles for $150. Probably will install next weekend if it gets here by then!
You are very welcome and happy this is plug and play! Baffles me why Audi decided to not make paddle shifters included with this car considering who they are directly targeting for their sales goals. Millennials like bells and whistles! They really missed the ball with the whole Android Auto/Apple Play for this car too - and ONE usb plug, IF its even equipped... really backwards. Just glad most is plug-n-play and Ebay doesn't disappoint :-D

Last edited by mroberte; 04-12-2015 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Installation with the steering wheel was a breeze! I honestly can't believe Audi just didn't include this in all of the A3's. The only reasoning I could think of was to create additional hierarchy between option packages and force people to buy the tech packages.

I found a gently used 2015 A3 wheel with paddles off Ebay for $150 (lucky find) and installation was straightforward using the how-to you linked, and the youtube video from that post! Definitely a great upgrade for anyone who can find a reasonably priced, and compatible, steering wheel.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jmick21
Installation with the steering wheel was a breeze! I honestly can't believe Audi just didn't include this in all of the A3's. The only reasoning I could think of was to create additional hierarchy between option packages and force people to buy the tech packages.

I found a gently used 2015 A3 wheel with paddles off Ebay for $150 (lucky find) and installation was straightforward using the how-to you linked, and the youtube video from that post! Definitely a great upgrade for anyone who can find a reasonably priced, and compatible, steering wheel.
Glad you got it all installed! I am constantly shifting with the paddles now and love it. And yes, most likely a way to make people upgrade to a more expensive package option. Still waiting for the Dynamic Mode through VCD and then the car will be "complete" electronically. This car is like crack to me, constantly going back and tinkering with it! Been looking at buying the center console switch with Dynamic button and also the Auto HVAC controls.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm reading through your build thread and loving it.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

Nice description of the work you have done.

You do understand that Premium vs Premium Plus is not why you didn't get the seats and paddle shifters in your car. In order to get those options you must order the Sport Package.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know the part number of the A3 8V Sport Package wheel with DSG paddles?
Old 06-07-2015, 11:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
Does anyone know the part number of the A3 8V Sport Package wheel with DSG paddles?
Check Ebay, thats where I got mine. The dealer is too expensive for a wheel.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mroberte
I'll most likely rent again when someone figures out how to enable dynamic/sport mode via the MMI (need the access code) - if at all capable. I'm suspecting this might be an option only on the google maps navigation MMI connect units. However hoping I'm wrong as I've enabled Navigation, Lane Assist and Lane Departure assist even tho none are functional since the car is not equipped.
This! I'm eager to see if ADS/MMI is possible. I've read someone made the VCDS changes for steering (no MMI), but it apparently was no different(?).

What did enabling Nav, Lane Assist, and Lane Departure open up? It would be nice to assign the Nav button on MMI to something since I'm not equipt.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

When I was able to enable the Nav, Lane via VCD, Navigation showed up on the speedo area, the other two options was shown on the MMI screen but greyed out.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried this today and had no luck getting the airbag off. A dental mirror showed the D-loop spring moving beyond the tab that holds it in place, but the airbag did not "pop off" as the video and other descriptions said it would. Instead the airbag assembly stayed where it was and even somewhat forceful pulling on that side of it where the spring was depressed didn't budge it.

Has anyone else experienced this? Am I just not pulling hard enough? Is there an additional attachment point (other than the spring on the other side of the steering wheel?)

Quick Reply: Happy To Report - Successful Retrofitting of Sport Paddle