Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Happy To Report - Successful Retrofitting of Sport Paddle

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ericnovikoff
I tried this today and had no luck getting the airbag off. A dental mirror showed the D-loop spring moving beyond the tab that holds it in place, but the airbag did not "pop off" as the video and other descriptions said it would. Instead the airbag assembly stayed where it was and even somewhat forceful pulling on that side of it where the spring was depressed didn't budge it.

Has anyone else experienced this? Am I just not pulling hard enough? Is there an additional attachment point (other than the spring on the other side of the steering wheel?)

disconnect the battery
turn wheel 90 degrees L or R
push on the airbag and while you do that use a shot flat head to unhook the clip

Not sure why but the left side comes off easier when unclipped first
I was installing one of my wheels that I sell for a buyer yesterday and that was my take away
always turn to the right but for some reason I turned to the left and it would not budge...turned to the right and the airbag was off under a minute

so turn the wheel 90 degrees to the right...use a mirror and flat screwdriver
push down on the clip with the flathead and once you clear insert the flathead in about 3-5mm
and pull on the airbag and it should release that side (L)

now turn the wheel 180 degrees to the left from that point and repeat

if anyone is interested in this mod feel free to email me about wheels, airbags (I have for sale), DIY
lunamar90007@yahoo.com

GL

Last edited by lunamar; 05-15-2016 at 12:03 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mroberte
Check ebay non-US sites, particularly German ebay site. Make sure the seller will actually ship to you before purchasing. I bought the wheel for roughly $117 bucks. Its not the flat bottom, but all US and Euro-ish sites shown $700-1400 dollar steering wheels. Ya NO!

Email me at lunamar90007@yahoo.com

I will sell you one for less than $700-1400
Old 05-18-2016, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've got my sline air leather / partial leather steering wheel for sale for $700 shipped CONUS.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mroberte. Great Great Build/ Mod "documentary" I just purchased a2016 A3 season of Audi
Black on Black 19" 5 point wheels. This particularly equipped A3 had some options I really wanted and alas some I did want but it didn't come with and with 2 in college ..... Well...
Love your descriptions of your mods. I too want to change my steering wheel- I just want to be crystal clear that when I get a wheel with paddles that the paddles will work even tho my current wheel doesn't have any.
IF anyone knows of a D wheel with paddles for sale at a reasonable price PLEASE!!! Let me know
Thank you
Old 09-01-2016, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

I will have mine for sale in a few weeks. How does $200 delivered sound? It's the same one as in the first post in this thread. It is definitely plug and play. Works perfectly even though the car came with a no paddle steering wheel when I bought it.

Last edited by Dr Chill; 09-01-2016 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Forgive me I'm kinda new at all this - it's a D wheel?
I looked at the first picture in this thread and it looked like a full round wheel
Old 09-01-2016, 05:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
I will have mine for sale in a few weeks. How does $200 delivered sound? It's the same one as in the first post in this thread. It is definitely plug and play. Works perfectly even though the car came with a no paddle steering wheel when I bought it.
Send you (Dr. Chill) a PM
Old 09-01-2016, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Steven Simkin
Forgive me I'm kinda new at all this - it's a D wheel?
I looked at the first picture in this thread and it looked like a full round wheel
If you are asking if it is a flat bottom wheel, no it is not.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steven Simkin
...Love your descriptions of your mods. I too want to change my steering wheel- I just want to be crystal clear that when I get a wheel with paddles that the paddles will work even tho my current wheel doesn't have any...
Congrats on the new A3! Its been a fun adventure with mine. As for the wheel, completely plug n play. O haven't really seen too many of the D wheels at decent prices, but there is also the newer a4 wheels out there too which will work as well. Could be basically around the same price, however you'll need the airbag too.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

If anyone wants a round bottom A3 wheel with paddles, mine is now listed in the classifieds.

Quick Reply: Happy To Report - Successful Retrofitting of Sport Paddle