Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

How many using Android Auto/Google Maps with Virtual Cockpit equipped car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How many using Android Auto/Google Maps with Virtual Cockpit equipped car?

I'm trying to do some research for my new S3 and have VC and will try setting up Android Auto. I was reading in a different thread or forum that suggested AA will only show Google Maps on the center screen and not VC. In addition, is Audi Connect worth it?
Old 04-20-2017, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Google maps via android auto only displays on center screen. You will not get the android auto google map in the vc.

The only reason to keep audi connect for me would be the google earth overlay on the mmi navigation. Once my trial expires, I will look into a freedompop sim that has like 250MB free/month. Weather/news etc are neat but not useful for most.

The VC will display some info from android auto, like song information etc.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by s3burgh
Google maps via android auto only displays on center screen. You will not get the android auto google map in the vc.

The only reason to keep audi connect for me would be the google earth overlay on the mmi navigation. Once my trial expires, I will look into a freedompop sim that has like 250MB free/month. Weather/news etc are neat but not useful for most.

The VC will display some info from android auto, like song information etc.
Thanks for the quick reply! As for Audi Connect and "Google overlay" maps I don't think it's necessary to subscribe to Audi Connect to maintain that feature. The reason why I say that is on my last S4 that had MMI after my 6 month free trial of AC ended, I never paid for a subscription but the Google satellite overlay feature remained for the next few years until I unloaded the car. HOWEVER, the key is having the actual Google Earth and Street Maps functionality in the VC. Just probably not worth whatever they charge for AC. I do hope one day this is fixed in terms of being able to show Google Maps via Android Auto on the VC.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Timmay
Thanks for the quick reply! As for Audi Connect and "Google overlay" maps I don't think it's necessary to subscribe to Audi Connect to maintain that feature. The reason why I say that is on my last S4 that had MMI after my 6 month free trial of AC ended, I never paid for a subscription but the Google satellite overlay feature remained for the next few years until I unloaded the car. HOWEVER, the key is having the actual Google Earth and Street Maps functionality in the VC. Just probably not worth whatever they charge for AC. I do hope one day this is fixed in terms of being able to show Google Maps via Android Auto on the VC.
Hmm, i hope you're right. I was under the impression it was pulling the google earth data from the lte connection.

Isn't an audi connect subscription really just an lte data plan?
Old 04-20-2017, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Hmm, i hope you're right. I was under the impression it was pulling the google earth data from the lte connection.

Isn't an audi connect subscription really just an lte data plan?
Well to be clear I don't think the VC and MMI are using Google Earth but simply the satellite overlays on top of the regular maps. This is the case when NOT using Audi Connect. Having true Google Earth gives you the ability to tap into Street Maps, etc. That's my understanding. Perhaps some others can chime in though.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Timmay
Well to be clear I don't think the VC and MMI are using Google Earth but simply the satellite overlays on top of the regular maps. This is the case when NOT using Audi Connect. Having true Google Earth gives you the ability to tap into Street Maps, etc. That's my understanding. Perhaps some others can chime in though.
You can do google street view.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

When does your car arrive? I have similar...

17, daytona, magma, black optics, b&o, res delete, tech
Old 04-20-2017, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

When does your car arrive? I have similar...

17, daytona, magma, black optics, b&o, res delete, tech
I already have it!
Old 04-20-2017, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Attached Thumbnails How many using Android Auto/Google Maps with Virtual Cockpit equipped car?-imag0794.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 04-21-2017, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless you own a TT which display Google Maps on the Virtual Cockpit.

Quick Reply: How many using Android Auto/Google Maps with Virtual Cockpit equipped car?