Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

How to mirror your phone on the MMI screen

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

its just a nice place to put it. magnetic too.

i use 2 cellularize 3ft cables daisy chained to reach to the front: https://www.amazon.com/Cellularize-L...hone+extension

here is the CarL mount.
Attached Images  
Old 07-07-2016, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been looking everywhere for such an extender!! I wonder if that's a new product. I wish there were a single 6 foot version.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just spoke with them. They will be releasing a 6 foot cable, but it's not ready just yet. I'll be a guinea pig.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

haha nice! yeah- i found one black 6ft extender cable but since the daisy chain is working for me i'm going to stick with it.

here a link to the black 6 ft from a diff brand 32$ too: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f_rd_i=desktop

Last edited by markN1689; 07-07-2016 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys, so I finally decided to try screen mirroring in my non-navigation S3. I was surprised that everything worked as expected on my first try.
I noticed that most people have written about their set-ups with iPhones, I have an Android so hopefully this will help other Android users.
I went with a wireless setup mainly because Samsung abandoned MHL compatibility a couple of years ago for their phones, so a micro USB to HDMI adapter wouldn't work with my Galaxy S7. I also didn't want to keep plugging and unplugging my phone when I wanted to screen mirror.

Here's my setup: All from Amazon
AMI MMI 3RCA Audio Video Cable
to
Mini HDMI to 3RCA converter box
to
1.5 ft HDMI
to
Netgear Push2TV Wireless Display via Miracast

I bought a usb splitter to power both the Mini HDMI converter box and the Netgear Push2TV using the USB charging port in the arm rest.
You will also need RCA male plug to RCA male plugs, I used 3 in my setup.

In the few minutes I had to play with it so far, it works pretty well. I get in my car and select the "Quickconnect" option in my phone, it finds the Netgear Push2TV and then I just select to connect and the phone is mirroring on the MMI display. The display isn't as crisp as the phone since the display on the non-navi displays is low resolution. I did change the screen layout from "Auto" to "16:9" in the MMI settings which helped a little.
I did notice the power light on Netgear Push2TV does stay on even after the engine is shutoff, so I did unplug it from the USB charger so I wouldn't drain the battery. Does anyone know if the power to the USB charger in the arm rest stays powered even when the engine is shutoff?
I am waiting on my OBD Eleven to unlock the VIM, until then I can only use the screen mirroring while stationary.

I will keep you guys updated as I use it more.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@Pineapplepickles. this is excellent news for those without nav. I wonder if it works with iphone?
Old 07-11-2016, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Diztek
@Pineapplepickles. this is excellent news for those without nav. I wonder if it works with iphone?
I don't know if the Iphone has Miracast compatibility. The only drawback to using the wireless setup with the Net gear is your phone needs to be Miracast compatible.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi need some help
Have connected every thing as explained .
My car (Audi A6 2012 ) is VIM unlocked has a 6 DVD changer, no issue in video playing when car is moving can even play video from SD card.
But in my AUX SOURCE screen it shows only AUDIO IN and not VIDEO IN . Do I need to change any setting in the system to activate it.
I am using HTC10 android and not Iphone.
Thanks in advance

Originally Posted by markN1689
Parts needed:

1 MMI A/V cable
3 male to male AV connectors
1 HD to AV convertrr
1 HDMI cable
1iPhone to HDMI

Sorry if you cant read the text on the image.
Basically I mention how I got my MMi cable on Amazon for about 20$. Got an extra small charge cable for the hdmi to av converter. And a right angle HDMI cable.

Portrait mode looks terrible and too small but landscape looks great. On my iphone it defaults to landscape when watching movies etc. I can even lock the phone while watching youtube and the video will still play perfectly fine.
Decided NOT to mount it in the car. And just use it when I want to.

cool mod and with VIM unlocked its a must have.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wireless mirroring

Hy guys, nice post.
Quick question pls: do you think this Wireless Wifi HDMI Airplay Mirror Display Dongle Adapter for iPhone will work? Just to leave the iphone hdmi adapter cable out.... i have a wireless connection in my car. Thank you

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Airplay-Mirror-Display-Adapter/dp/B00PBXH3FG
Old 09-23-2016, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Morosanu Silviu
Hy guys, nice post.
Quick question pls: do you think this Wireless Wifi HDMI Airplay Mirror Display Dongle Adapter for iPhone will work? Just to leave the iphone hdmi adapter cable out.... i have a wireless connection in my car. Thank you

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Airp.../dp/B00PBXH3FG

it should work. i just prefer using the cable because i can charge AND get video using the apple hdmi to lightning cable.

best part about using amazon is they usually honer free returns. so its worth a try

Quick Reply: How to mirror your phone on the MMI screen