Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

How to mirror your phone on the MMI screen

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by arudson
Seems this can not be done on a 2017 S3 that has only the USB port, no mmi port. Is there any workaround? Thanks.
I have this too and yet to find a work-around, sadly.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by kuhesh
hi,

i'm kuhesh, I have an A5 Sline 2014. my question is, Can I use this set up on my car? Is it possible to work on A5 model?
Yes and, with VCDS cable and software you can have video in motion running as well, so it will work while you drive.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by tdacruz
Hi need help
I have a 2014 Q5 and wired the iPhone to the car like the picture but no picture went to exterior video source but noting black screen
can someone help ????
thanks
Park and put the transmission in park. Does it work then?
Old 05-20-2018, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help

I have tried everything to make it work, but nothing I bought everything needed my VIM is unlocked and dont get any video on my car.
I have a 2011 a4 3g+ with dvd nav and hdd
Old 01-08-2019, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue!! Help 😉

Hi I have been looking everywhere for a solution but can't seem to get anywhere. I've got the same setup as what you have done but I'm using android. I can't seem to get video. I have audio playing but no video. I have an Audi S4 b8 which has the mmi 3g with NAV and joystick control. I enabled Ami av from the green menu. All I get is a text saying external source active. Any idea!?
thanks

490bhp 595nm white Audi S4 b8
Old 02-20-2020, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi everyone, I'm super late to this thread. Is there a super simplified/basic version of doing this now? Reading through this thread it seems like a lot of issues with cables and power and VIM (which I'm not sure how to unlock or do I need to buy software for this too). I'm a n00b so if anyone can dumb this down for me in super simple terms I would greatly appreciate it. I have a 2015 Audi Q5 with MMI (3G or 3G+ I'm not sure tbh) with Audi Navigation and AMI port in the glove box. I just want to be able to screencast or use Airplay with my iPhone 10 to use navigation apps like Waze or Apple Maps. I was looking into CarPlay kits but they seem kind of complicated to install. Any help is much much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-20-2020, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nothing is different here now than it was, still as easy as before:
  • Enable VIM via VCDS
  • Plug Apple Lightning to HDMI Adapter into phone
  • Plug short HDMI into adapter and optional power into DC USB power adapter
  • Plug HDMI cable into HDMI to RCA x3 analog AV converter
  • Plug RCA cables from converter into Analog Video AMI Cable
  • Plug AMI cable into AMI port and select External Video Input
Old 02-20-2020, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by schalliol
Nothing is different here now than it was, still as easy as before:
  • Enable VIM via VCDS
  • Plug Apple Lightning to HDMI Adapter into phone
  • Plug short HDMI into adapter and optional power into DC USB power adapter
  • Plug HDMI cable into HDMI to RCA x3 analog AV converter
  • Plug RCA cables from converter into Analog Video AMI Cable
  • Plug AMI cable into AMI port and select External Video Input
Awesome thank you. I have to learn how to use VCDS.

A few questions:
"Plug short HDMI into adapter and optional power into DC USB power adapter" - Is this to charge my phone? If so do I need a Lightning splitter to plug the Apple Lightning to HDMI Adaptor into and another Lightning to USB adaptor to plug into the cigarette charging port in my glove box?

"Plug HDMI cable into HDMI to RCA x3 analog AV converter" - Is there a high quality version of this HDMI to AV converter people recommend? Also I noticed people are plugging the HDMI to AV converter into a power source as well. Will I then need a cigarette lighter charging port with 2 USB's to charge both my iPhone and this HMDI to AV converter box?

Sorry in advance for all the n00b questions, I want to make sure I get this right the first time. I'm assuming my phone will have to be in my glove box since that is where my AMI port is. Are people adding some bluetooth devices in this chain to do this wirelessly? Or is that not a good idea...
    Old 02-20-2020, 05:13 PM
    AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tdidk

A few questions:
    "Plug short HDMI into adapter and optional power into DC USB power adapter" - Is this to charge my phone? If so do I need a Lightning splitter to plug the Apple Lightning to HDMI Adaptor into and another Lightning to USB adaptor to plug into the cigarette charging port in my glove box?

"Plug HDMI cable into HDMI to RCA x3 analog AV converter" - Is there a high quality version of this HDMI to AV converter people recommend? Also I noticed people are plugging the HDMI to AV converter into a power source as well. Will I then need a cigarette lighter charging port with 2 USB's to charge both my iPhone and this HMDI to AV converter box?

Sorry in advance for all the n00b questions, I want to make sure I get this right the first time. I'm assuming my phone will have to be in my glove box since that is where my AMI port is. Are people adding some bluetooth devices in this chain to do this wirelessly? Or is that not a good idea...
    I just realized I don’t have a charging port of any kind in my glove compartment. Do any Q5 owners do this mod or mainly owners with connections in the center arm rest console?? Am I better off figuring out how to install that CarLink CarPlay box behind my CD player?
    Old 02-23-2020, 11:21 AM
    AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tdidk

A few questions:

The DC USB adapter is required to power the converter, but you may want to charge your phone by plugging in a second USB spot, which will have a lighting cable so you can plug that into the HDMI adapter and charge your phone. My experience is that video mirroring can still drain your phone even when charging (lower backlight to help). Yes, you'll probably want a dual USB charger that offers high current. This thread mentions a converter you can find on Amazon, but you can check current reviews in case others have found better ones.
    As for your other question. In the A6/S6, the AMI port is in the center console.

Quick Reply: How to mirror your phone on the MMI screen