Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Intend to tune the ECU eventually but APR has a big sale NOW! Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intend to tune the ECU eventually but APR has a big sale NOW! Thoughts?

This is for individuals who have ECU tunes on their cars or are thinking about it. Owned a 2015 S3 and tuned it with APR tunes and parts up to Stage 2+. Nothing but pure happiness on my part. Now I have a RS3 with 200 miles on the odometer. Know that I will eventually get an ECU tune to least Stage 1. Was thinking more like next spring after the car is broken in somewhat. Well APR has a 15% off sale going on for ECU tunes at this time through the end of July. I verified it on their website. That is way more than just tempting as ECU tunes are not inexpensive as we know. But is it a risk on a low mileage car? THAT is the question. Do I need the extra power now? No, but after reading reviews for the APR tune (as well as other companies), throttle response seems to be better and some hesitations have been removed or refined. Basically smoother driving and response in general. I'm still learning about my new car and fully intend on keeping it for a very long time. An ECU tune was on my list of to do's. Already have my Aerofabb air splitter and waiting on my black Audi rings now. Only mods on my radar. But should I wait on the tune? (My Audi service department is very mod friendly and worked with me quite well on my previous S3)
Old 07-13-2018, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
This is for individuals who have ECU tunes on their cars or are thinking about it. Owned a 2015 S3 and tuned it with APR tunes and parts up to Stage 2+. Nothing but pure happiness on my part. Now I have a RS3 with 200 miles on the odometer. Know that I will eventually get an ECU tune to least Stage 1. Was thinking more like next spring after the car is broken in somewhat. Well APR has a 15% off sale going on for ECU tunes at this time through the end of July. I verified it on their website. That is way more than just tempting as ECU tunes are not inexpensive as we know. But is it a risk on a low mileage car? THAT is the question. Do I need the extra power now? No, but after reading reviews for the APR tune (as well as other companies), throttle response seems to be better and some hesitations have been removed or refined. Basically smoother driving and response in general. I'm still learning about my new car and fully intend on keeping it for a very long time. An ECU tune was on my list of to do's. Already have my Aerofabb air splitter and waiting on my black Audi rings now. Only mods on my radar. But should I wait on the tune? (My Audi service department is very mod friendly and worked with me quite well on my previous S3)
Hey I left you a private message as I'd like to discuss this topic with you in depth. I'm very interested but my dealership is NOT particularly mod friendly and I did NOT buy the car from them remember?
Old 07-13-2018, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SO APR’s plus tune with the warranty requires 5K mile oil changes. I commute over 600 miles a week.... not that I would get their plus tune with warranty but the 5K miles would come quick. Regardless of which tune, is the new norm to change oil at 5K miles with a tune?
if so, I’ll stay stock for longevity and cheaper maintenance.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Kurac; I was never advised of a more frequent oil change with my S3. Neither by Audi nor APR. And it was boosted up to around 400 HP with Stage 2. RS3 may be totally different. Used to be we all changed oil around 3000 miles. My Audi service department said go by the car interval indicator. Basically 10,000 of course. I did not commute near the miles you do however. When I sold my S3 after having almost 4 years, it only had 27,000 miles. I'll have to read into that further. Thanks for the heads up. But I loved having the extra boost in my S3. Made a great car greater.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

APR has sales several times a year. You don't have to get the tune now. Just wait for another sale.

As for the tune, DO IT! I'm running a Stage 1 tune now and it's nothing but pure bliss on top of an already enjoyable car. Also, be ready to start looking at other upgrades as it will spin tires on launch control (at least the stock Pirellis on reverse staggered setup). That's just on a 91 octane tune...

And yes, the Stage 1 tune for the RS3 is way more expensive (the APR tune I had on my MK6 Golf R was half the price of what the tune for the RS3 is). Gotta pay to play I guess...

Old 07-14-2018, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
Kurac; I was never advised of a more frequent oil change with my S3. Neither by Audi nor APR. And it was boosted up to around 400 HP with Stage 2. RS3 may be totally different. Used to be we all changed oil around 3000 miles. My Audi service department said go by the car interval indicator. Basically 10,000 of course. I did not commute near the miles you do however. When I sold my S3 after having almost 4 years, it only had 27,000 miles. I'll have to read into that further. Thanks for the heads up. But I loved having the extra boost in my S3. Made a great car greater.
Yeah, I know. APR’s plus tune was the first I’ve read any suggestion of oil changes at 5K miles. Since my commute is mostly highway miles cruising at a steady speed, I can’t see why the 10k mile interval wouldn’t work, but I’m sure APR’s done the R&D to make them suggest the lower interval. It would be worth a call to find out how they came to that conclusion. For 27k in 4 years, this is a non issue for you.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Kurac; pretty sure the 5K oil change is to ensure or protect the PLUS portion of the tune. That's a good chunk of money for a warranty by APR and I'm positive the additional oil changes are to cover both the owner and APR. I have decided to go with the standard ECU tune for 93 octane fuel. No plus. I believe if you if one modifies one's car and doesn't drive like a complete lunatic, the car will be fine. APR, or any other tuner, could never survive if cars were blowing up under moderate driving with the occasional canyon carving runs. I boosted my S3 about 110 HP over stock and had zero issues. Not one. And I pushed it from time to time but wasn't stupid. I like having the extra power on tap and the overall smoothness or drive-ability the APR tune offered me. I didn't care so much about mpg but understand that improved; just never really measured it. Read great reviews about the APR RS3 stage I tune and it was on my list of things to do. Will get it now, save a few dollars but drive reasonably during the break in period.

Steve0987; thanks for the input my friend. I've only seen APR sales of 10% in the past. Still a nice chunk of change for some other car bits. 15% ever more so! LOL.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Steve,

I'll be anxious to hear how it works out. Both from a dealership perspective and from a "fun factor" perspective!! Now go get some miles on that puppy so you can launch it fairly soon. LOL
Old 07-16-2018, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Russ, Was seriously going back and forth on this issue. Major first world problem here! LOL. Spoke with my Audi service department again this morning. They gave me the green light and how they look the other way on tunes. If my car would require a link to the main Audi network, I just have to reflash to stock. Particularly in the case of a recall or something. Those guys are great. Just have to remind them of the tune when I come in for any regular maintenance.

Also spoke with the local APR rep for Columbus as well as reached out to some other RS3 owners with the Stage 1 tune. All glowing reviews and experiences. So I'll take the car in on Wednesday around lunch for the tune. Takes about an hour max to do the flash and check things out. You are correct however, I NEED to get this car out and drive it. Work travel is going to get in the way again however. Then when I get home from Morocco, apparently we're traveling to South Carolina for a 5 days or so. All major traveling is done in the wife's Q7. She can't stand riding far in the RS3. Too low, loud and fast for her.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I’m glad to hear you’re going ahead with the tune. I know how expensive APR tunes are and a 15% savings is significant. Had a Stage 1 (ECU and TCU) done on my S3 three weeks ago. Too bad I didn't have a crystal ball that told me this sale was coming.

Quick Reply: Intend to tune the ECU eventually but APR has a big sale NOW! Thoughts?