Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Intend to tune the ECU eventually but APR has a big sale NOW! Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks ducrider61! Honestly, the sale isn't that big a thing in grand scheme of things. It was an incentive to do it NOW however. LOL. The savings will go to a few tanks of gas. I truly loved what the Stage I and 2 tunes did to my former S3. Wasn't just the power increase; was the overall better feel of power delivery that struck me. And it was immediate! Enjoy that S3. Really wish I had some sound bites of the downpipe with and without the resonator to let you make that loudness decision for your yourself. Stage 2 will knock your socks off. Maybe not the same way your Ducati can but it impressed the hell out of me.

Spoke with my Audi service techs today and once again, they are very supportive of proper tuning/modding of the cars. Main service tech mentioned he had just taken his friend's TTRS in for an APR Stage 1 tune. Normal service calls don't require the car to ever be connected to the main Audi network, thus never flagged. If there is a recall or some non typical service is required, then I'm to flash back to stock prior to service. Only service my S3 ever required was the standard interval checks with oil changes. Bullet proof car for me.

Last edited by Fixeroh; 07-16-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
Russ, ..... Then when I get home from Morocco, apparently we're traveling to South Carolina for a 5 days or so. All major traveling is done in the wife's Q7. She can't stand riding far in the RS3. Too low, loud and fast for her.
Well if she thinks that now, then I guess taking the RS3 after the tune will definitely be out of the question for long trips!! ROTFLOL

I'll be anxious to hear about overall drive-ability especially if the tune smooths out a few things. Talk to you soon and hoping my local dealership sees the "light" re: mods.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Russ, my wife is this petite Puerto Rican gal who much prefers sitting up higher in a bigger vehicle. She really doesn't feel comfortable in normal cars. She's a good driver too but likes to follow too closely at times. As you recall, you can't leave in between your car and the next in Puerto Rico or someone will fill the spot! LOL. The thing with an ECU tune is that you don't HAVE to apply full power. I don't like to have uncomfortable passengers so I seldom WOT with others in the car. Unless they request it of course! My car mods are for my enjoyment.

I'll give you my impressions when I get a few miles on it. Don't see a reason your closest Audi service department wouldn't work with you. It isn't any extra work n their part.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I spoke to my Audi service dept manager about 6 months back about this, and he told me they would not warranty my car if I did the ECU tune. That was with my S3, and now have an RS3. I was told that even if I did the tune, knew beforehand that my car needed to be hooked up to audi's computer, reflashed it back to factory, that Audis computer detects that, and still would not warranty my car. Even if I had a problem with, for example my window switch broke, it would not be warrantied period. Pretty rough! So I did not flash my S3, and will probably not do my RS3. There is a new service department manager now, so maybe he will have a different take on it. I just do not know him well enough yet to talk about this.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Rans09vert; Your Audi service department is so wrong on so many levels. If you tune your car and it boosts your turbo pressure causing a turbo failure, it's understandable that Audi would deny a replacement turbo. Unrelated parts should not be affected however. I believe there is major legislation which protects car owners in that situation. Perhaps you could talk to this new service manager and have him call other Audi service departments to get their opinions. There should be no reason to connect the car to the Audi network unless truly necessary. I do understand that Audi can tell if a car has had software added or altered and reverted to stock. I work on computers and it's pretty easy to read that directly from file creation or modified dates. But Audi service departments being hard nosed about the issue are denying customers one of the fun aspects of owning a performance car! Think BMW, Mercedes and Porsche owners don't tune? There is a huge market for us horsepower freaks. LOL.

I actually just came back from getting my APR ECU flashed this morning. The APR authorized rep in our area is an exotic car dealer. Hate going to that place because I drool all over the Lambos, Ferraris, Porsches, McLarens, etc. Was in and out in an hour. The service manager there used to work with my current Audi service manager at the Audi dealership. He reiterated that ECU tunes are very common because they are the best and easiest way to achieve considerable, useable boosted horsepower. The shop I visited this morning has already done 3 other RS3s since the APR stage 1 tune was made available. Pretty sure those plus mine are the only ones in the county! They do less tunes on base model Audis but it seems drivers of S and RS models want more than factory. I did considerable reading on APR and other tuning firms and am solidly of the belief that they would not provide ECU software which would hit the capability thresholds of the car's engines. There would be lawsuits and they would be out of business. This is something that has been going on for years too. Just much easier now to access the ECU via the OBD port as opposed to physically pulling out the EPROM and flashing it. With my previous car, S3, I got an APR intake then did the Stage 1 flash about 7 months after getting the car. Soon had the APR TCU tune. That really changed the drivability. About a year later, was having the APR downpipe installed and getting the Stage 2 flash. 7 months on, had an APR intercooler installed; making it Stage 2+. Car was awesome. And without flaw. Never hiccupped; never had an issue. My Audi service department did the regularly scheduled maintenances and the world was good. Had Audi not decided to bring the RS3 to the USA, i would be driving that great S3. My only regret with that car was the color. Black. Gorgeous but a pain to keep clean, as we all know. So my personal experience with APR and tuning has been nothing but positive. I know you can read opposing stories but I can only write for myself. That is way I decided to get the Stage 1 tune for my new RS3 today. Can't really comment on and differences before and after as I really just drive the car from the ship back to work. No chance to test it. I'm flying out of the country in a few days so my observations will have to wait until I get back.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks ducrider61! Honestly, the sale isn't that big a thing in grand scheme of things. It was an incentive to do it NOW however. LOL. The savings will go to a few tanks of gas. I truly loved what the Stage I and 2 tunes did to my former S3. Wasn't just the power increase; was the overall better feel of power delivery that struck me. And it was immediate! Enjoy that S3. Really wish I had some sound bites of the downpipe with and without the resonator to let you make that loudness decision for your yourself. Stage 2 will knock your socks off. Maybe not the same way your Ducati can but it impressed the hell out of me.

Spoke with my Audi service techs today and once again, they are very supportive of proper tuning/modding of the cars. Main service tech mentioned he had just taken his friend's TTRS in for an APR Stage 1 tune. Normal service calls don't require the car to ever be connected to the main Audi network, thus never flagged. If there is a recall or some non typical service is required, then I'm to flash back to stock prior to service. Only service my S3 ever required was the standard interval checks with oil changes. Bullet proof car for me.
I'm curious to hear more about "flash back to stock" with APR. We know car manufacturers will implement in-line updates to their ECU firmware (FW), so not everyone's stock FW will be identical. Does APR store a copy of YOUR stock FW prior to flashing so you can go back to actual stock? Or does "stock" simply mean a canned random version that APR have in their database? Just doing some reconnaissance work for my eventual tune in the future - thanks.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rans09vert; Your Audi service department is so wrong on so many levels. If you tune your car and it boosts your turbo pressure causing a turbo failure, it's understandable that Audi would deny a replacement turbo. Unrelated parts should not be affected however. I believe there is major legislation which protects car owners in that situation. Perhaps you could talk to this new service manager and have him call other Audi service departments to get their opinions. There should be no reason to connect the car to the Audi network unless truly necessary. I do understand that Audi can tell if a car has had software added or altered and reverted to stock. I work on computers and it's pretty easy to read that directly from file creation or modified dates. But Audi service departments being hard nosed about the issue are denying customers one of the fun aspects of owning a performance car! Think BMW, Mercedes and Porsche owners don't tune? There is a huge market for us horsepower freaks. LOL.

I actually just came back from getting my APR ECU flashed this morning. The APR authorized rep in our area is an exotic car dealer. Hate going to that place because I drool all over the Lambos, Ferraris, Porsches, McLarens, etc. Was in and out in an hour. The service manager there used to work with my current Audi service manager at the Audi dealership. He reiterated that ECU tunes are very common because they are the best and easiest way to achieve considerable, useable boosted horsepower. The shop I visited this morning has already done 3 other RS3s since the APR stage 1 tune was made available. Pretty sure those plus mine are the only ones in the county! They do less tunes on base model Audis but it seems drivers of S and RS models want more than factory. I did considerable reading on APR and other tuning firms and am solidly of the belief that they would not provide ECU software which would hit the capability thresholds of the car's engines. There would be lawsuits and they would be out of business. This is something that has been going on for years too. Just much easier now to access the ECU via the OBD port as opposed to physically pulling out the EPROM and flashing it. With my previous car, S3, I got an APR intake then did the Stage 1 flash about 7 months after getting the car. Soon had the APR TCU tune. That really changed the drivability. About a year later, was having the APR downpipe installed and getting the Stage 2 flash. 7 months on, had an APR intercooler installed; making it Stage 2+. Car was awesome. And without flaw. Never hiccupped; never had an issue. My Audi service department did the regularly scheduled maintenances and the world was good. Had Audi not decided to bring the RS3 to the USA, i would be driving that great S3. My only regret with that car was the color. Black. Gorgeous but a pain to keep clean, as we all know. So my personal experience with APR and tuning has been nothing but positive. I know you can read opposing stories but I can only write for myself. That is way I decided to get the Stage 1 tune for my new RS3 today. Can't really comment on and differences before and after as I really just drive the car from the ship back to work. No chance to test it. I'm flying out of the country in a few days so my observations will have to wait until I get back.
Fixeroh,

I agree with you 100%. Just reporting what I was told. Back in the late 1990s, I had a new A4 2.8 quattro, and wanted more power. The dealer at the time was cool with the ECU tune. I did it, and never had an issue. I would like to do the stage 1 APR, and don't doubt, from what I have read, that it will be a nice difference in power and driveability. I think it is BS also, that an unrelated issue with a part, like the AC does not get cold, or something else, would not be warrantied. And I told the prior service manager that I didn't believe him. I will talk to the new service department manager, feel it out and see.

But in the meantime, you have a few days to see the difference in your RS3. I would love to know what you think. Please! go for a drive today, haha, and let us all know!
Old 07-18-2018, 10:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newly tunes

Hey guys. New to this forum. Have a 2018 s3 with 10,000 miles on it and couldn't wait any longer. Went with the new apr plus tune with the warranty. I have heard enough good things about apr to roll the dice I guess. Did have to send a golf r back to VW with engine problems, misfires. I was hesitant but what are the odds of another lemon? The car feels fantastic. I do have to wait for the ecu tune to be released by apr. Since this is a low torque stage 1, apr was not worried about dsg problems. I hope I do not have to find out about the warranty! I did have Dinan with my BMW and they did cover some issues I had so I have had a good third party experience. Thanks to all of you for the excellent info in these forums. Has helped considerably over the last few years. I will keep everyone posted on the new apr plus tune.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rans09vert
Fixeroh, ......... But in the meantime, you have a few days to see the difference in your RS3. I would love to know what you think. Please! go for a drive today, haha, and let us all know!
+1 Amen brother! If you don't we will block all exit points from the United States until you do!
Old 07-18-2018, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would love to take a few days off and just drive about! Trust me on that! US Air Force is my employer and I'm traveling to Morocco for work. USAF may have something to say about anyone trying to block outbound ports in the US. LOL. On a side note, I'll get to drive in Morocco. THAT is going to be interesting. Surely it cannot be worse than driving in Turkey. That was my worst experience. I've been to other countries like India and Thailand but never had to drive there. Always hired crazy local drivers. We should all be grateful that we have nice cars, nice roads to drive them on and reasonable priced gas.

I will report on my tune findings soon. Just driving today after the tune, I could tell it was more responsive and held rpms longer in Sport DSG mode (all other options are set to dynamic except in the evil winter months). Wasn't willing to really open it up with 250 miles total on the car. I just love the sound in S mode however. It turns heads but not in an annoying too loud Mustang kind of way. The A3/S3/RS3 cars are very fine works of engineering. Thank you Audi.