Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Lease Ending - need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Lease Ending - need some advice

I am currently month to month on my lease & the final date is 12.24.18. I have a few minor dents & some light curb rash on my wheels. How **** is audi when it comes to this stuff, and how much will they negotiate if i lease another S car? In addition, i also need 4 new tires. Where can i get some used tires that will get me through the inspection? Also are these cars worth buying? i think my residual is at 22k, and my car has only 37k miles

Thanks in advance

M
Old 10-11-2018, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Your lease-end guidelines clearly state what is allowable for wear and tear. And independent inspector (not employed by Audi) will insect the car, so there is no negotiating. The damage is inspected and compared to what Audi allows and you will be given a condition report. You have two choices: either turn the car in and pay the amount to repair the damage as determined by the inspector, or repair the damage at your expense that will bring the car within the allowable damage limit provided in your inspection report.

The only exception to this would be if your dealer buys your car off-lease and would be willing to negotiate/overlook the damage.

The process is very clear and it is not ambiguous...you should have no surprises or questions after the lease-end inspection. As for buying it yourself, only you can determine if the car is a good buy at the residual price and if you want to continue to keep it. A little internet research should quickly determine if the residual is higher or lower than the fair market value.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although farmerjones is correct, my experience has been if you are leasing another Audi, they are not so picky about minor damage. My TT was recently returned with all four rims curb-rashed, and some minor scuffs. No problem, and I love my new S3.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by musantemike
I am currently month to month on my lease & the final date is 12.24.18. I have a few minor dents & some light curb rash on my wheels. How **** is audi when it comes to this stuff, and how much will they negotiate if i lease another S car? In addition, i also need 4 new tires. Where can i get some used tires that will get me through the inspection? Also are these cars worth buying? i think my residual is at 22k, and my car has only 37k miles

Thanks in advance

M
Its' all about whether the dealer will ask you to turn-in your car or buy it from you. MAKE SURE YOU KNOW THIS BEFORE YOU START ANOTHER DEAL - it's important and all-any damage should be part of the negotiation if they are buying your car. If you are asked to turn-in your lease, they are very hands-off and will throw you into the fire for damage, miles, etc, to deal with Audi Lease Return.

ADDITIONALLY - if you think your damage or over-miles are going to cost you a lot (you can get a pre-assessment from them if you're unsure), you can ask the dealership to buy the car, and they will ask for an amount to be paid (it can also we buried in the deal for the new car). You can also try to negotiate this, but the cost to CPO a car is about $1500 for them fwiw.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you expand on the “if the dealer buys your leased car”. I thought you either gave up the car to audi or you purchase it at lease end. Why would Audi buy your leased car?
Old 11-16-2018, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by rdvt4me
Can you expand on the “if the dealer buys your leased car”. I thought you either gave up the car to audi or you purchase it at lease end. Why would Audi buy your leased car?
When your lease is up, you 1. schedule your lease end inspection through Audi - if you go on the AFS website, it has the contact information. They will come to your home, work, etc. This should be done before you just drop the car off to the dealer.

The dealer can buy the car from Audi, and resell it, or, they can simply ground the car upon return, and let Audi corporate know that they can come pick the car up.

A lessee is responsible for any cosmetic damage to the body larger than a quarter, as well as tires (have to be at least a 4), brakes, tears, and mileage over and above the contracted mileage. If you purchased excess wear and tear coverage, you are covered for up to $7500 worth of "stuff", if not, you're responsible for it.

Whether the dealer is buying the car or not, the "damage" costs or mechanical stuff needed can still be part of the negotiation on the new car - I do it all the time for people. One way or another it has to get paid, there is no skirting around it. It makes no difference if you get another S car, another A, if it's your 1st Audi or you 19th.

9 times out of 10, the dealer is not buying the car unless miles are way under where you were contracted for.
The following users liked this post:
CurlyFiresMunster (04-13-2021)
Old 11-16-2018, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Interesting info, thanks!

i am in a 3 year/ 36 K lease. At lease end I should have only around 18k miles on the car. It will be interesting to see if the dealer is interested in buying the car. Original sticker was 44,500, residual is 24,950. I am at 11,500 miles now and the tires are already down to 5/32.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i am in a 3 year/ 36 K lease. At lease end I should have only around 18k miles on the car. It will be interesting to see if the dealer is interested in buying the car. Original sticker was 44,500, residual is 24,950. I am at 11,500 miles now and the tires are already down to 5/32.
It also depends on the model and options whether they will consider buying it.

Anecdotal at best, but of 15 Audis I've leased, only 1 was not purchased (2004 AllRoad).
Old 11-16-2018, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Just asking....why didn't you save a bunch of money and do a low mileage lease if you were not going to even come close to 36K? These are the types of cars (low-mileage) dealers like to purchase off lease for resale at their store.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I had just retired and did not know how much my driving would change. When I was working I drove 12k/yr, now just 6k.