Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

LED's for 2017 Audi A3

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED's for 2017 Audi A3

Since this is the first German car, I was hoping to get everyone's expertise here on LED replacements for 2017 Audi A3 Premium Plus. I think based off the build/specs, the Prestige models are equipped with LED's? I was hoping to learn if I can simply replace the bulbs or is there coding involved (dumb german cars LOL; always had Japanese and none of that is necessary). The A3 will be here at end of Oct/early Nov and not familiar with all locations of lights in the car but wanted to:

1) Replace License Plate Bulbs (are they already white bright LED's?)
2) Footwell Bulbs (does it have and are they already LED?)
3) Map Lights and Dome Lights
4) Trunk LED
5) Reverse LED's already bright white (the 2017 A3 build included FULL LED Lighting package so no sure how different the tail lights are from standard LED tail lights)

That's pretty much it. I won't be changing blinkers or headlight area with aftermarket LED's. I simply wanted to know what the current lighting for most of these interior lights is like and which, if any, are recommended to be replaced. I looked at deautokey website but it's not as clean of a website as I can follow with examples of different cars even when choosing A3. I usually buy bulbs at vleds and wanted to know if those will work just as well with the car's settings. Thanks ahead.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Im no help but Im sure one of the LED vendors can chime in...
Old 09-30-2016, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm pretty surprised with putting up posts how little activity there is either for Audi or A3 in general. There's definitely a noticeable difference on here than other forums I have been on. I"m assuming because not many people modify their cars and thought inquiring about interior LED's and aftermarket wheels would be simple topics to get more responses...
Old 09-30-2016, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

On my 2015 PP,
1. They are LED already
2. Either you have it LED or you don't have it at all.
3. LED interior is a option , if you dont have it, you will have a single tiny festoon bulb as the map light.
4. Trunk light will be LED if you have LED interior lights.
Just in case you need to replace interior bulbs to LED, no coding will be required.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

My 2015 A3 Cab. Have replaced all my interior lighting w/LED's. Have cabrio so interior lighting is not that good. GREAT improvement. Also changed trunk light. Do it!
Old 10-02-2016, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by score0412
I'm pretty surprised with putting up posts how little activity there is either for Audi or A3 in general. There's definitely a noticeable difference on here than other forums I have been on. I"m assuming because not many people modify their cars and thought inquiring about interior LED's and aftermarket wheels would be simple topics to get more responses...
That's because the big wave of A3/S3 posts were here between 2014 and 2015.

I don't expect much of influx for the 2017 A3 since this is just mid-cycle refresh unlike the A4 which has waited 6-7 years for a new design and now there's lots of excitement for the new A4.

Did you already order your Premium Plus A3 and add the LED lightening package?

If you didn't, you're going to be stuck with Bi-Xenons headlights and have filament bulbs for interior lightening.

I'd get the option for LED lightening if I were you.
When I shopped for my A3 2 years ago, Premium Plus weren't even given the LED headlight option, so I only got interior LED light.
https://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-...QMA_NeGCVkAAAA

In the long run, the Bi-Xenons for the pre-facelift proved to be more efficient than the LED headlights that all got graded (P) poor rating by IIHS.

Audi has improved the LED headlights this time around, still not matrix but they are to be brighter than the pre-facelift LED headlights.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by greasykid
My 2015 A3 Cab. Have replaced all my interior lighting w/LED's. Have cabrio so interior lighting is not that good. GREAT improvement. Also changed trunk light. Do it!
I definitely will! I'm just not sure if I need to look at special leds since I see ads on this forum for leds that don't stay on or behave a certain way. I have always used vleds.com for my Japanese cars and wondered if I still can w Audi or especially German car. I've read how BMW needs certain bulbs or lights coded or what not. Confuses me that it's. It that simple. But, if you're all saying any leds will work just fine and no problem that's great! Thanks!
Old 10-02-2016, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gamegenie
That's because the big wave of A3/S3 posts were here between 2014 and 2015.

I don't expect much of influx for the 2017 A3 since this is just mid-cycle refresh unlike the A4 which has waited 6-7 years for a new design and now there's lots of excitement for the new A4.

Did you already order your Premium Plus A3 and add the LED lightening package?

If you didn't, you're going to be stuck with Bi-Xenons headlights and have filament bulbs for interior lightening.

I'd get the option for LED lightening if I were you.
When I shopped for my A3 2 years ago, Premium Plus weren't even given the LED headlight option, so I only got interior LED light.
https://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-...QMA_NeGCVkAAAA

I guess I'm 2-3 years too late with all the active members on this forum. Ha. I'll keep trying to post and hope to receive more responses from the community.

In the long run, the Bi-Xenons for the pre-facelift proved to be more efficient than the LED headlights that all got graded (P) poor rating by IIHS.

Audi has improved the LED headlights this time around, still not matrix but they are to be brighter than the pre-facelift LED headlights.

Yes, the car was preordered but there was no interior led lighting choice. The prestige model has that standard for interior. As for exterior, yes I chose full led lighting package instead of having the standard HIDS. Eventually, leds headlights will be standard but now will full led front and back. I guess I'll be replacing bulbs with leds aftermarket for interior. I know certain brands like Lexus have led interior and license plate bulbs but they're weak and not bright so if this 2017 Audi A3 premium plus that was ordered has the same setup I'll be replacing their weak leds with aftermarket brighter leds from vleds.com

Thanks!

Also, the build coming is 2017 ibis White premium plus with Tech package, full led lighting package, sports package (drive select, sport seats, sport suspension, bang and olufsen stereo. Should be here end of October or early November. If anyone interested to see the build I'll post as a new thread when the car arrives. Thanks!
Old 10-03-2016, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by score0412
Yes, the car was preordered but there was no interior led lighting choice. The prestige model has that standard for interior. As for exterior, yes I chose full led lighting package instead of having the standard HIDS. Eventually, leds headlights will be standard but now will full led front and back. I guess I'll be replacing bulbs with leds aftermarket for interior. I know certain brands like Lexus have led interior and license plate bulbs but they're weak and not bright so if this 2017 Audi A3 premium plus that was ordered has the same setup I'll be replacing their weak leds with aftermarket brighter leds from vleds.com

Thanks!

Also, the build coming is 2017 ibis White premium plus with Tech package, full led lighting package, sports package (drive select, sport seats, sport suspension, bang and olufsen stereo. Should be here end of October or early November. If anyone interested to see the build I'll post as a new thread when the car arrives. Thanks!
I also do not have LED interior lights on my 16 A3 premium plus but I am interested in getting them. I am torn between getting the oem audi upgrade kit which only contains 4 bulbs or the zika kit from ECS tunning that comes with I think 6 or 7 bulbs. I'm assuming the oem audi kit would be better LED lighting but only 4 bulbs is the downside and costs twice as much. Anyone use either or kits ?
Old 10-04-2016, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'll have to google this since I haven't heard of either and see how these shine and review cost as well. Too many options out there for this simple LED stuff. Haha. If anyone else can show pictures or provide input on this. Thanks

Quick Reply: LED's for 2017 Audi A3