Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Looking at S3 this weekend, some questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking at S3 this weekend, some questions

My A4 is coming up on lease. I'm either keeping it, or getting into an S3!

Some questions:

1) So if you stick with the base seating, that has power controls? But not the upgraded seats?
2) B&O has the DSP if you get MMI (front, driver, surround level)?
3) 18 vs 19" rubber. We have awful roads in LA already, seems 18 would be a little less harsh for daily commuting?
4) Do you need the magnetic ride to get the differing suspension feels with Drive Select?

Any gotchas? My first A4 was a premium and didn't have things like folding rear seats, etc... stuff that I regretted after purchase...
Old 07-21-2017, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Nostromo

Some questions:

1) So if you stick with the base seating, that has power controls? But not the upgraded seats?
3) 18 vs 19" rubber. We have awful roads in LA already, seems 18 would be a little less harsh for daily commuting?
4) Do you need the magnetic ride to get the differing suspension feels with Drive Select?
Any gotchas? My first A4 was a premium and didn't have things like folding rear seats, etc... stuff that I regretted after purchase...
1) So if you stick with the base seating, that has power controls? But not the upgraded seats? YES

2) B&O has the DSP if you get MMI (front, driver, surround level)? YES

3) 18 vs 19" rubber. We have awful roads in LA already, seems 18 would be a little less harsh for daily commuting? Probably but I have driven LA/OC roads plenty with stiff suspension w/19s and not a big deal to me.

4) Do you need the magnetic ride to get the differing suspension feels with Drive Select? YES

The S3 is a fantastic car but it's on the small side so you should be aware of that. A4 has much more space. I'm coming from a '14 B8 S4. I recommend getting Premium Plus.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks! I figure it'll be about the size of my wife's original Lexus IS300 (which was the best little car they ever made). But we have the SUV for family trips, the S3 will just be for me commuting mostly.

I'll let y'all know if I get one. I WOULD like some of the new tech toys. But am very "meh" on the B9. I'd just keep my B8.5 and stage 1 it instead.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd recommend the B&O system. It wasn't an option any of the S3s (only 6) here in Hawaii, but I can say I'm disappointed in the stock sound system. It really is a fun car. Great daily driver in comfort mode, but in dynamic it's a completely different car.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Meant to say I also bypassed a lot of the tech stuff. Only option I got was the black optic dynamic package. The virtual cockpit wasn't for me, some cool stuff in the tech package, but the gauge cluster was too busy for me with to many things to change. I prefer to just have normal gauges. Personal preference though.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jeff Snow
I'd recommend the B&O system. It wasn't an option any of the S3s (only 6) here in Hawaii, but I can say I'm disappointed in the stock sound system. It really is a fun car. Great daily driver in comfort mode, but in dynamic it's a completely different car.
Agreed. My first A4 was stock sound and it was only ok. B&O is 1000x better and a dealbreaker at this point. Especially with the DSP modes.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Nostromo

Some questions:

I have a 16 prem plus with the 19s mag ride, b&o and black optics. digital cockpit wasn't an option, but with how simple the interior is I prefer without. 2 years in and wouldn't change a thing except I'm already up for tires at 25k. Might have something to do with my driving habits1
Old 07-22-2017, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

have you thought about S4?
Old 07-23-2017, 06:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

SO i went with the S3 with the Black out Dynamic package which gives you the 19 inch wheels. I live in NY and the roads are probably double as worse as in LA...I opted for the Tire and wheel warranty simply because its impossible to avoid all the potholes here. The 19inch wheels really make the car stick to the road. So much fun to drive and I am so hapy i bough the s3...Carplay on the other hand is a bit of a mess from my experience.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Congrats and welcome to the forum! One forum rule here is that you must post photos or we don't believe you own it!

Quick Reply: Looking at S3 this weekend, some questions