Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

From M3 to RS3???

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RezaWrex
I totally agree the front end is much more aggressive and I am a huge fan of it. I'm definitely biased but beyond that though I felt the rest of the car was closer to a Camaro in form than a sleek German coupe. That, combined with what I feel is a "just ok" (seats are amazing though) interior design stopped me from re-upping into another RS5. Oh, and the lack of that glorious V8 soundtrack

That being said I saw the S5 sportback in person and I'm definitely a fan.
I also love the S5 SB...does anyone know if there will be an RS5 SB? I need 4 doors...the RS 3 is too small....I am hoping there will be an RS 4 or an RS 5 SB? Prefer the lines of the 5 way over the 4.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am hoping for a RS4 Avant or even a RS6 Avant. RS3 is small, but a very good daily commuting to work.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by CaseyS4
I also love the S5 SB...does anyone know if there will be an RS5 SB? I need 4 doors...the RS 3 is too small....I am hoping there will be an RS 4 or an RS 5 SB? Prefer the lines of the 5 way over the 4.
Allegedly.

The 2018 Audi RS5 Is a Car Worth Waiting For | Feature | Car and Driver
Old 05-01-2017, 06:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GrimTango42
Forgot to mention the price differences between the two cars

While the base $ for the M3 is $64k and some change, the car Car and Driver tested was $88,095!

At that price you could get an RS3 and a new MX-5. The RS3 is not cheap by any means, but the "good" M3's have a lot of options and boxes you need to tick to get the nice ones. The order guides for the RS3 are rather reasonable for the good ones.

I imagine you already have this money, or around it, into the M3. The primary point of the pricing is that the M3 is not $30k+ better than the RS3 performance wise, not even close.
Yes my M3 stickered at $79,xxx. I expect the RS3 to sticker for around $60 while an optioned out TTRS to be around $72-75
Old 05-01-2017, 06:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NoogMan
Look at my SIG below....that may help you.
Ah! Just the guy I need to talk to then! So if you could only pick one and drive it for about 2 years which is it? M3? TTRS or RS3?
Old 05-01-2017, 11:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Location: A place where I'm halfway to getting my degree. But with life reminding me, it's not easy.
Default That's leaving soon too

Originally Posted by Vijay
The V8 glory days are gone. I absolutely loved the high revving V8s in both my B7 RS4 and then my e92 M3. Seems like Lexus, of all brands, is holding on, however, with their 5 liter NA V8s in their F series of cars.
Lexus is making the move to turbo charging from what us lexus guys/gals are coming across. The new LS (7 series/S class/A8-S8 competitor) now has a new TT V6 replacing the old N/A V8. Next gen GS F and RC F should follow suit we imagine. I'm actually excited about the prospect of the new engine. Lexus has gotten a lot out of it's current V8 but reality is, you can only get so much out of it while avoiding gas guzzler tax, emissions, etc. A lot of lexus fans were/clamoring for more power. New engine should deliver quicker acceleration, better range of power, etc. Hopefully it can make a decent sound as well.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Location: A place where I'm halfway to getting my degree. But with life reminding me, it's not easy.

Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt
Yea i saw that too. I'd love an RS5 sport back. But for the US there's two different processes. 1, will Audi actually make it. 2, will the USA get it. But it would make sense for audi to bring the rs5 sportback to America seeing they're already bringing in sportbacks for A and S models. Maybe they'll see how consumer demand stocks up?
Old 05-02-2017, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Answer to OP's question - yes, I am doing it.

Took delivery of my 6MT 2015 M3 in September 2014. Lease ends September 2017 and I have placed an order for a 2018 RS3 - Catalunya Red, RS Design Pkg, Dynamic, Black Optics. Have no idea when car will be produced and then delivered but expecting August/September timeframe.

This wasn't a terribly easy decision. I prefer MT but out of the previous 5 Audis and BMWs I've leased I've never had an M-DCT nor DSG. I'm kinda looking forward to the RS3's dual-clutch though. Initial reviews were positive with one even stating that it's just behind the PDK in performance. Giving up my manual will be tough, though.

My M3 is the first M-car I've ever owned and it is a wonderful piece of machinery. But, rear traction IS an issue. Doesn't matter what tires you have - short of going to Pilot Sport Cup 2s or even drag-type tires, you're going to have issues with traction. My previous Audis were B8 S4 6MT and a 2014 SQ5. Never had traction issues in those so I'm a firm believer in Quattro and it's performance advantages. The real plus with the RS3 is that historic and marvelous 5-cylinder engine. Can't wait to hear it in action. Also looking forward to the magnetic suspension. I strongly suspect that it'll be more compliant than the adaptive suspension on the M3, even in it's softest setting.

If I could, I'd KEEP the M3 and also have the RS3. But, at the moment that's just not a wise financial choice. I've got to choose between the two. I had initially considered purchasing it outright, ordering another with the competition package, the Alfa Romeo QV, perhaps even the Merc C63S. I ruled out the Alfa and Merc for various reasons and it just doesn't make sense to me to order another M3. So, it looks like I'm on to the RS3. The good news is I've got 3 months or so and if I change my mind I can certainly do so.

That's my story - YMMV.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

According to an Audi of America rep who posted on another Audi enthusiast website, there is no plan for an RS5 sportback
Old 05-06-2017, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default I'm sad now.

Originally Posted by Vijay
According to an Audi of America rep who posted on another Audi enthusiast website, there is no plan for an RS5 sportback
Oh man, . Was the car I was hoping to get over anything else in a couple years. Suppose I'll have to decide between New: S4, S5 Sportback, S6 and M3 in a couple years.

Quick Reply: From M3 to RS3???