Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

My 2016 S3 Review After One Week

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2016 S3 Review After One Week

Review

My 2016 S3 Review After One Week-cwfmn43.jpg

The S3 I chose is the Florett Silver metallic with black leather interior. I've had it for a week now and around 400 miles on it already. It replaces my 2014 Infiniti Q50.

Packages/Options:
Premium Plus
Technology package (MMI Navigation, side assist, Audi connect 6-month subscription)
LED lighting package (LED interior lighting and headlights w/ LED DRLs)
Bang & Olufsen Sound
Red Brake Calipers
HomeLink
Lightning cable for Audi music interface
All-season tires

MSRP: $49,930
My Lease Price: $44,125 + Audi Care Complimentary (Around $3k below invoice)
MF: .00011
Residual: 59%
Drive off: $2,750
Payment: $469/mo @ 36 months

My 2016 S3 Review After One Week-ranatla.jpg

Overview and Pros:
-It sounds contradictory, but I think of this car as a tiny, sleeping giant. It does a great job of looking great but it doesn't slap you in the face with it styling. It's quietly sculpted, polished, and athletic. The S3 design overall still invokes classic, elegant Audi without looking like the more mundane models of old. Its proportions remain tight, lean, and efficient.

-For a subcompact, the Audi S3 doesn't feel claustrophobic or small up front. This wasn't the case with its Mercedes CLA competitor the which couldn't possibly fit anyone over 6'2" without a lot of adjustment for headroom. Now I'm not a big guy at 5'9" and 185lbs, so the car is the perfect size for me. Also in a similar vein, the backseat legroom is actually not too bad either. There seems to be more legroom here than in a Cadillac ATS and definitely better than the CLA. It feels somewhat comparable to the previous generation Infiniti G, but again, the rear headroom could get a little tight for taller passengers, which I almost never have anyway.

-The S3 actually has great outward visibility due to its wide windows and narrow pillars. I will even say that in some corners, the visibility is even better than in my old Infiniti Q50. I love the big sunroof too. I always keep the shade pulled back and makes the car feel even more open and larger than it actually is. The trunk is not very deep vertically but it has decent horizontal depth. The seats have a lot of adjustability and are comfortable and not too heavily bolstered or firm.

My 2016 S3 Review After One Week-a5rw8cb.jpg

-The LEDs headlights are extremely powerful and adapts to the road, making driving at night a breeze. The interior lighting is very well done and attractive. The MMI interface is quick and while not the most intuitive unit to use at first, it doesn't take too long to get acclimated. I don't necessarily miss having any traditional touch screens as the physical buttons are easy to reach and the switches and ***** are simple and clear. All of the menus are quick to navigate through and are never laggy or cluttered with unnecessary information. There's just enough buttons on the center console--everything is large, clear, and the buttons and dials all feel premium for the most part. The retractable navigation screen, while not quite as big as other vehicles out there, is very clean and carries good resolution.

-Unlike with my Q50, I appreciate that the S3 actually can remember your previous drive select mode between turning the engine on and off unlike the Drive Mode Selector in the Q50. The S3's automatic climate control system also seems much more intelligent than the Q50's, as it doesn't blast the fan for way too long once the temperature inside has already been adjusted as the Infiniti often did.

-The B&O sound system is right there near the top of its class and was a pretty big selling point for me as I love my music. The AudiConnect subscription service is also really slick and very well done. Right now I've been using it to send navigational information and directions to my vehicle from my phone and the MMI connect app on my Android works flawlessly. I haven't played with it too much outside of that, but for right now, it's been quite useful. I'm also a big fan of the Wi-Fi hotspot with media streaming, which I also really appreciate as I tend to download and stream podcasts to my car quite often, especially on longer trips.

My 2016 S3 Review After One Week-hdgt7ka.jpg

-Ok, let's cut the bull****. This car is the fastest car I've ever driven, hands down. I've driven the 335i M sport, the Q50 Hybrid, the BMW 228i, etc.. The S3 takes performance to a level that I certainly haven't experienced before. For example, my Q50 was FAST but it wasn't always "quick" or felt fast. You had to fiddle around with the Infiniti Q50 sometimes to make it do what you want it to do when it comes to performance. I applaud the Audi engineers here because the S3 knows EXACTLY what you want it to do and as a result, it's not only FAST but it's also QUICK and SMART. When the S3 pulls, you feel it every time and when you're ready to push it, there's no delay, especially when the boost meter is engaged.

-This is also one of the snappiest automatic transmissions I've used in a car in this class, probably only the BMW 2-Series comes close to its programming. When you've put the foot down, the car knows exactly when to shift and does it very smoothly whether in Comfort or Auto mode. While in Sport/Dynamic mode, the sound that this engine makes is simply phenomenal. What I also appreciate here is that although paddle shifters move WITH the steering wheel, I'm glad that it also has a very ergonomic manual gearshifter down in the center tunnel, giving me the flexibility I want for how and when I want to shift.

-If we want to continue the comparisons to my old Q50, the S3 definitely is the better handling car. You have this partially thanks to its lower curb weight, as much as 400lbs lighter than the Q50 and its S sport suspension. The suspension is definitely stiff, but not punishing, especially at cruising speeds or on long trips, the Audi remains compliant and composed. The road noise is also very well mitigated and is definitely more quiet than the Q50.

My 2016 S3 Review After One Week-p47vlm4.jpg

Overview and Cons:
-Probably the biggest issue I have right now are the front brake pads, which generate an abhorrent amount of brake dust. I've had to clean my wheels of brake dust no less than 4 times in the last week and it can be a bit of a pain. Luckily there's an easy fix to this as replacing the pads will cost less than $200 installed, which I'm planning to do in the near future.

My 2016 S3 Review After One Week-9foxhy5.jpg

-Storage space here is also limited here. The Q50 didn't have much storage space either, but in comparison, the S3 has a slightly smaller center compartment and has no sunglasses holder either. This isn't a huge deal for me since I always keep my car clean and free of unnecessary clutter, but I can see how in certain situations that it could be a minor nuisance. The only other thing that I wish the S3 offered was remote start, but since it's not a common add-on accessory for Audi, I didn't necessarily feel too cheated by this configuration. A lot of people may also dislike the lack of memory seating in the car. It's a rare omission here that doesn't hurt me all too much since I'd be the only driver but it might be a dealbreaker for some.

-When driving in Dynamic/Sport mode, fuel consumption can be a little unforgiving. While the Dynamic/Sport mode is hands down the most fun and exhilarating place to be, it has to be done in spurts, otherwise you'll be guzzling through gas quickly I've noticed. Not a huge deal, but I'm definitely surprised at how fast this thing can chug down the gasoline in spirited driving.

-One last thing is, the interior, while definitely doesn't feel as "bargain bin" compared to the Mercedes CLA, doesn't have a ton of wow factor to it. I wouldn't go so far to call it boring, but to be fair, it is one of Audi's more economically designed vehicles and so, that carries into the interior. It is very simple, "spartan", still premium, but it's definitely no A4 or A6 when it comes to materials, gauges, and aesthetic touches. For me, this actually works out fairly well in the S3's favor as the look is reminiscent of a more traditional sports car and not a luxury sedan, so, it's a trade-off that some people may or may not appreciate.

My 2016 S3 Review After One Week-nx0ghwr.jpg

Summary

Looks: 8.75/10 (Today while I was walking out of the grocery store, I saw a guy circling my S3, giving it a really good look. The reactions to the car in general have been extremely positive with family and friends. The S3 is definitely a handsome car with striking lines and sharp styling and yet, it can also blend into the crowd among the sea of more aggressively styled competition, which I actually don't mind. While the interior might not be as exquisite as some may expect from Audi, the general intent of this car is well communicated everywhere else.)

Performance: 9.75/10 (It's one thing to have great, straight-line, teeth grinding acceleration. Any muscle car can do that; but when you also have sharp, precise steering, nimble handling, good tire grip, a powerful engine note, a compliant ride, and strong brakes--putting everything together here and you have one of the sportiest and practical daily drivers that you can find for $45k. The chassis itself is very well sorted, the cornering for a car this size makes city driving a blast, and the 6-speed S-Tronic is programmed so well and is just plain fun. I'll knock it down only a little as sometimes the brake's progressions can be touchy and takes a little time to predict at lower speeds.)

Personal Practicality and Appeal: 9/10 (There were only 6-7 Audi S3's that I could find available in the entire state of Iowa. I really appreciate driving a car that you don't see every day, and this was a big selling point for me. This S3 is just right--the perfect size for a guy like me. For the power you get in this car, fuel economy is still comparable in this segment and I'm averaging around a combined 26 MPG. A sporty, yet compliant ride, decent trunk space, good visibility, low cabin noise, and of course, the Audi badge can go a long way. Again, a little more storage would have been nice)

Options/Tech: 8.25/10 (The MMI connect app and AudiConnect are very useful, easy to use, and the MMI interface overall is pretty well done. Since there is more to fidget around using buttons instead of a touch screen, there is a little more time spent not concentrating on the road. I love the sound system and the LED lighting package is a must. There's an actual hard drive to rip music onto from a USB/SD/CD onto the car, which I appreciate having again. The rain sensing wipers came in handy recently and are very responsive/accurate compared to the some of the competition and of course the navigation entry is excellent. Other missing options or features like seat memory, heated steering wheel, and remote engine start would have been nice, especially in conjunction with AudiConnect or the MMI Connect app)

Overall: 9/10

My 2016 S3 Review After One Week-1mwjgnm.jpg

Bottom Line: When it comes to value, the S3 has quite a lot of it if you can keep it around the $45k range. If you can get this car for around $44k like I did, I'd say it's a clear top prospect in this segment of small sports sedans. Once you get to around $48k or higher, you may want to do some cross shopping to see if this is what you really want or if you want something a little bit more larger or upscale for the money. If you're a relatively short and/or average height professional without kids, looking for a powerful, attractive, near luxury car with spirited driving dynamics for real world, everyday driving, especially city driving, you've got to give the Audi S3 a look. I'm so glad that I did.

Last edited by SimpsonTide985; 09-25-2016 at 07:31 AM.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! This is an awesome review. Very well written with some great photos! Beautiful ride you have there. I concur on so many of your points. I've had my 2015 S3 for 2 years now and absolutely love it Ordered mine before any were even available in our area. Knew I wanted it however. I must admit to be being hit with the modification bug and have tweaked my S3 with a bit more. From paint protection to engine power to chassis bracing. But right off the show room floor, it's a great car. No question. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!!
Old 09-26-2016, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Fixeroh!
Old 09-26-2016, 11:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Agreed. Well done!
Old 09-27-2016, 08:12 PM
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree... I came out of a 2013 S5 Cabrio and it was great but my 2016 A3 Cabrio S-Line is perfect! I just wish it was an S3 Cabrio! Great review!