Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

My 2017 Audi S3 Purchase!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 10:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2017 Audi S3 Purchase!

Hey everyone!

I have a lease ending in the next 2-3 months and decided to start looking for my next new car in early February. I was deadset on an STI (fan for many years). In the end, I decided I wanted something more refined and, well, different. Almost pulled the trigger on an A4 a couple of years ago, and have always been attracted to Audi styling. Long story short, browsing the forums and learning more about the 8V S3, I found that this car is the perfect car for me.

I found a 2017 CPO S3 in California, with 16,6xx miles. Bought it sight unseen from a reputable (relatively) Audi dealership. Selection was limited because I knew I really wanted the MY17+ and low miles. Selection further refined by the specific packages I wanted. Was able to get a good price on the one in Cali and it checked all the boxes; B&O sounds, Magnetic Ride, Digital Cockpit, Technology Package, Glacier White and 19" wheels. Just came off of lease and was driven an average of 8k mi/year, plus it came CPO. Registered in NV - no winters! (big deal since I am in IL).

Car was shipped to my doorstep, arrived on 3/2/19. Learned my lesson, next time getting a covered transport (car arrived completely muddy due to blizzard in CO mountains en route to Midwest). Had a hard time getting registration at first due to out of state titling, but that was worked out within 2 weeks and I finally got plates about a week and a half ago.

The car has been in the garage the last few weeks as I have still been driving my Toyota to work (until I run out of miles on the lease). In that time, I have already installed BMS JB4 w/ bluetooth kit and OEM res delete. I also have hardwired my V1 radar and Thinkware F800 Pro to the drivers side fuse box and routed cables through A-pillar. Got a set of winter rims (Andros R9 18x8) wrapped in Blizzak WS80s, put these on the car until I buy new summer tires and make the switch to the summer setup on 19's in early April. Just did an oil change with Castrol Full Synthetic 5w-40.

The car is in immaculate condition overall. I have noticed some noise from the rear struts when driving over curbs on comfort mode (into driveway) - may take it in to have the rear strut mounts looked at per TSB. There is also a small chip in the windshield and two small paint chips on the hood (very small and not through the primer) - going to repair these myself per some videos from Larry @ AmmoNYC and ChrisFix on youtube. Other than that though, this car is amazing! Stock power was great and launch control really threw me in my seat! Now, I am running 93 with JB4 Map 2 currently and let me say, WOWWW!! Have only had on Map 2 for about 100 miles, but the difference between this and stock is night and day. The JB4 box really brought the car to life.

More mods to come, just bought a USP downpipe, and looking into an intake next. Also just clayed the car this weekend 3/24/19; getting ready to buff with V36 and V38 to get rid of some swirls and two small scratches. Sealing with some Wolfgang Gloss 3.0 Sealant.

I really wanted to daily this car but I commute 18k mi/year; now thinking of ways to maybe keep my Toyota and keep miles of the S3. I am so extremely pleased with my purchase. I have been babying the car and doing all the work on it myself, proud to be an Audi owner!! It is my first time owning a car that requires more upkeep (always been in Hondas and Toyotas and a Jeep) - so I am making an effort to make sure I have all the right tools and equipment to maintain the car in perfect condition. Also excited to join the community! The posts and advice given on these forums is amazing and provides quality support for DIYer car owners everywhere. Thanks everyone for reading! ~~ RAGE_QUiT

P.S. - I'm in the Chicago area if anyone ever wants to meetup!

Some shots of my first fill up -- will upload more in better light next time I am able to!

Some photos from the dealer before delivery.

Old 03-25-2019, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice, those are my favorite wheels. Welcome!

White is the color that screams the loudest for CF parts, IMO, just sayin'.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

Congrats on the new ride!
Old 03-26-2019, 02:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks legit; thanks for posting!

Couple questions. Please ignore any perceived snarkiness, not intended.

1) Why go out of your way to get a CPO car with (presumably) an extra year on top of the remaining factory warranty--and then tune it, possibly negating the powertrain warranty?

2) Given (1) I wondered if you got an independent inspection done on the car before purchase?

I like the white one without the black optics. It's an understated effect, but it's aggressive and playful. I'm not sure on the difference between Ibis white and this white, but I'm guessing yours sparkles in the sun and Ibis not so much.

I say daily drive it and resist the temptation to put more money into parts. This car is still ultimately a point AB sort of thing, in my opinion.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by arU4ic
Nice, those are my favorite wheels. Welcome!

White is the color that screams the loudest for CF parts, IMO, just sayin'.

Thanks!! Yummm,,,, CF! I was looking at the CF AMS intake, and maybe the mirror covers in due time.

Originally Posted by PaperLion
Looks legit; thanks for posting!

Couple questions. Please ignore any perceived snarkiness, not intended.

1) Why go out of your way to get a CPO car with (presumably) an extra year on top of the remaining factory warranty--and then tune it, possibly negating the powertrain warranty?

2) Given (1) I wondered if you got an independent inspection done on the car before purchase?

I like the white one without the black optics. It's an understated effect, but it's aggressive and playful. I'm not sure on the difference between Ibis white and this white, but I'm guessing yours sparkles in the sun and Ibis not so much.

I say daily drive it and resist the temptation to put more money into parts. This car is still ultimately a point AB sort of thing, in my opinion.

PaperLion, no worries! Thanks for the welcome and the questions.

1. Maybe I mistyped earlier - CPO was not a requirement for me, mainly just low miles and one owner (which yes, is predominately CPO vehicles). When looking for the right car, it turned out that the one that fit the specs I was looking for just happened to be CPO. Yes, it does have the extra year of warranty. As for the tune, I am still only running a JB4. Thought process being, if I need warranty work, uninstall the JB4, drive a week on stock map, get warranty work done. Although this process would be much more difficult with a downpipe. AFAIK this seemed to be a solid way to get the benefits of a "tune" without risking the TD1. Definitely not going to flash the car until closer to warranty end.

2. I did not have a PPI performed. Primarily due to the reputation and location of the Audi Dealership I went to (they had quite an online presence). California has a bunch of consumer protection laws in place; especially for big purchases like cars. In addition to the normal paperwork for car purchase, I had to sign the Carfax, VinCheck, Audi CPO inspection report, and a few other additional things protecting me from things like undisclosed damage, unknown accidents etc... I also had 2 days after delivery to opt to cancel my entire contract and ship the car back (out of pocket), and 5 days after delivery to claim delivery damages. In addition to all of this, and the car being just off lease and only owned in the SW states, I decided to just pull the trigger. I figured if I hate the car or it is completely not as described, at worst I would be out the ~$900 to ship it back. The people I worked with at Audi Palo Alto were incredibly transparent and straight forward, giving off a great vibe from the get go. Purchasing sight unseen is definitely more on the wild side, and a few of my friends and family looked at me like I was crazy, but in the end it worked out. I trusted in my research and my gut and the few people the helped the sale move along.

I probably would have forgone the black optics on the white color also. I think the optics package on white accents the car well, but I feel like the silver trim keeps that Audi premium look. Optics just looked too "non-stock" for me? If I had went with like a Vegas Yellow, black optics would be required. Anyways, going to wax the car this weekend and hopefully get some pics in the sun.

Yes, I will most likely stick to my plan of DD this for the next year or so, will mull this topic over again once I am at 30k mi. I did not originally plan on modifying this car at all, as the stock power was awesome! (hint hint coming from a Toyota lol). A week of ownership and I kind of caught the mod bug. After seeing what the car can do with JB4 on a stage 1 map, my mind was changed though. I figure the JB4 and downpipe purchase only as of now (most HP for $$ IMO) along with new summer tires. The JB4 and DP alone were not super expensive and definitely will bring/have brought the car to another level so far. I will def risk warranty issues from DP if not removed, but I figured if I really need some expensive warranty repair, then I'll go through the process of putting the stock DP back on.

Holding off on additional mod purchases until after the DP gets installed and I have started to crank some miles in. I will start dailying the car soon and that will give me better idea of if/where to go next. Your right again on the A to B thing. Buying a newer sports sedan and putting cash into it is definitely not the "Dave Ramesy" way of doing things, but in the end, I am completely stoked and love driving the car every single second.

Thanks for the questions! Let me know if there is anything else I can answer!

~RAGE_QUiT
Old 03-26-2019, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

You mention a possible mag ride rear strut issue, 2017 S3's had that issue resolved, it affects S3 2016 and lower years only.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman
You mention a possible mag ride rear strut issue, 2017 S3's had that issue resolved, it affects S3 2016 and lower years only.
^^ Okay, good to know, thanks for the help. Maybe just me being paranoid pulling in the driveway.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 99 Posts

Palo Alto does charge a lot for their cars, proximity to all those Silicon Valley people. If all service work was done there, then not bad.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

what did you do with the stock 19 magride wheels? They are far superior to the other wheels. At just 21lbs they are about 7-8 lbs (or more) lighter than the wheels posted on your car at the gas station in Illinois. I hope you kept those mag ride wheels
Old 03-27-2019, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by markN1689
what did you do with the stock 19 magride wheels? They are far superior to the other wheels. At just 21lbs they are about 7-8 lbs (or more) lighter than the wheels posted on your car at the gas station in Illinois. I hope you kept those mag ride wheels
What are mag ride wheels?

Quick Reply: My 2017 Audi S3 Purchase!