Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

My review of my 2018 RS3

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 06:10 AM
2019 RS3 ordered 1-5-2019

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by PaperLion
700$ for 2 headrests seems slightly outrageous. Still, I'm strongly considering it.
PaperLion,

We and I imagine the rest of the guys on here all think that $700.00 US Dollars for two (2) rear-head-rest is a bit much no doubt.
But ................
When I see the Real-World difference to seeing out that rear window I was immediately in.

EURO Rear-Seat head-rest below in Black Leather W/Red-Stitching,

Totally AWESOME !!!

Now here is a picture of the (Stock) rear-head-rest (Sticking-Up) !!!

Terry
Old 02-22-2019, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I need these for sure, great looking headrests !!
Old 02-22-2019, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I just feel like in certain places you could have someone local do it using the stock rests for a base for like $150 or something more... palatable.

I wonder if the center headrests would fit in the outer mounts? Maybe if they do you could buy 2 of those instead for cheaper.

Last edited by PaperLion; 02-22-2019 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Eran,

It comes down to the production date the RS3 was produced.
The new 2019 for sure will NOT be able to be lowered.

Terry
I see.

Strange that they have disabled it
Old 02-22-2019, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Eran Levi
I see.

There's a big thread about it around here somewhere. I think it was a regulation about how fast the rear-view video has to start playing once you go into reverse. The screen basically takes too long to come up, so it's up all the time now.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Sinister#4
I need these for sure, great looking headrests !!
We my soon to be RS3 owner are on the exact same page on those.
A buddy of mine in San Antonio, TX. is also (now) placing an order for those.
He's ordered a Glacier White Metallic RS3 loaded !!!

Originally Posted by PaperLion
I just feel like in certain places you could have someone local do it using the stock rests for a base for like $150 or something more... palatable.

I wonder if the center headrests would fit in the outer mounts? Maybe if they do you could buy 2 of those instead for cheaper.
I think I'll stick with the EURO head-rest.
The way I see it I'm spending $65K US Dollars plus for the RS3 so another $700 is just not that big a deal or decision for me.

I see.

It's all about New US regulations that Nate describes in his post.

Originally Posted by nate
There's a big thread about it around here somewhere.
I think it was a regulation about how fast the rear-view video has to start playing once you go into reverse.
The screen basically takes too long to come up, so it's up all the time now.
Nate,

Exactly buddy ...............

Terry
Old 02-25-2019, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll jump in here real quick to state I have removed my rear headrests and am quite happy with the added visibility. Doesn't have the cleanest look with the open holes but with my 35% window tint, doubt anyone notices but me. And no one ever rides in the back side. Can put them in the trunk if that's a concern and pop them in when needed. It is irritating that the screen does not lower while in motion. Full agree on that. Being able to have all the info right in front of you via the virtual cockpit, almost negates the need for that in dash screen. I use OBDEleven to change certain settings on my car and I did not find the option to override that function. Can turn off my seat belt warning but can't lower the damn screen! LOL
Old 02-26-2019, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
I'll jump in here real quick to state I have removed my rear headrests and am quite happy with the added visibility. Doesn't have the cleanest look with the open holes but with my 35% window tint, doubt anyone notices but me. And no one ever rides in the back side. Can put them in the trunk if that's a concern and pop them in when needed. It is irritating that the screen does not lower while in motion. Full agree on that. Being able to have all the info right in front of you via the virtual cockpit, almost negates the need for that in dash screen. I use OBDEleven to change certain settings on my car and I did not find the option to override that function. Can turn off my seat belt warning but can't lower the damn screen! LOL
Fixeroh,

I was at 1st going to have the Audi dealer remove those rear-seat-head-rest before I picked up the RS3.
Then as you have seen I saw where we can actually replace the USA rear-head-rest with the much-much preferred EURO ones.
So, that was a no-brainer for me I ordered those but like you said you just took your stock USA rear head-rest out and laid them in the trunk out of the way and out of sight.

I really like the looks of those EURO head-rest that's why I'm going that route.

Terry

Old 03-01-2019, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you to all of you who gave me positive feedback about my review, btw.

I wanted to post a few more issues that I remembered recently...
  • If you are sitting in the car and turn it off, you can then send the center screen up and down with the power button, until you open the door or until the accessory power time limit runs out.
  • The Bluetooth system unpairs itself all the time.
  • There's a bug when switching to Android Auto that changes every volume type to "voice guidance" and sets it very low. Even when maxing the volume, it's very hard to hear.
  • If you roll all the windows down, the passenger seat belt constantly slaps against the b-pillar and sounds like some some debris just hit your car from the side or underneath.

I also plan to go test the traction control button while driving one more time to make sure, but I do recall hitting the button and holding it down while moving didn't do anything.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you sure about that? I'm almost sure I did it a few times. Will check that tomorrow again.
I assume that what you mean is to press and hold the traction off/on button for a few seconds, right?
Originally Posted by tjacoby
ESC has three settings: on (default)/ sport / off. a short press from on gives you sport. a short press from sport goes back to on. a long press from on gives off. a long press from sport does not give off.
I know that but that wasn't the issue. The issue was can it be turned off while driving or only when standing still? I'm almost sure that it can be turned off while driving
Originally Posted by tjacoby
yes, can be turned off while driving
OK, went for a drive today and indeed it can be turned off while driving. No idea why OP complained about not being able to turn that off while driving
I had a short drive today in the RS3 and decided to check a few things out I've been meaning to.

Traction Control / Stability Control (ESC)
I reported before that you can't turn these off while moving. Many of you reported the opposite. Turns out...we were both right! Explanation time...

Simply put, you can in fact turn both traction control and stability control on and off while moving. It works like tjacoby said, but I do have to add that if you are in Sport, you can hold the button down and go to Off, except that as soon as you begin holding the button down, Sport switches immediately to On, then to Off a few seconds later. The reason why I didn't notice this is that I'm nearly always using cruise control in any vehicle I drive (unless I'm doing spirited driving). After my test today, I can say that you can NOT turn either traction or stability control on or off as you drive IF you are using cruise control. I checked the manual, and there's a warning note stating that you can't turn them on or off if you are using regular cruise or radar cruise. Turns out the manual does a great job of covering this whole topic and the various states of traction and stability modes.

Quick Reply: My review of my 2018 RS3