Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Need advise before going to dealer about EV battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2023, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Need advice before going to dealer about EV battery replacement

I have a 2017 A3 E Tron plug in hybrid. When I bought the car in 2019 I was getting 21 EV only miles. Now I only get 11.
I brought it to the dealer and they "re-balanced the battery pack" said to drive for 500 miles. Still the same range (as I expected).
I have a log of mileage range since I bought it showing the degrading of range.

How can I get the dealer to replace the EV battery under warranty? They keep saying it's within spec.

Last edited by Bruuster; 02-04-2023 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-05-2023, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem on my 2016 e-tron. Took it in last year for the battery enclosure recall and asked them to check it for degradation. They said it was within spec. Granted, it's winter here and this battery pack doesn't have a heater, so I would expect less range, but 9 miles at 40-50 mph is ridiculous. I lose one bar of charge just backing out of my driveway.

If I take it on the interstate in the winter it always switches over to Hold mode with about 3 miles of range left, and can't hold 75 mph in EV mode once it gets below 50% SOC.
Old 02-06-2023, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by wmtunate
I have the same problem on my 2016 e-tron. Took it in last year for the battery enclosure recall and asked them to check it for degradation. They said it was within spec. Granted, it's winter here and this battery pack doesn't have a heater, so I would expect less range, but 9 miles at 40-50 mph is ridiculous. I lose one bar of charge just backing out of my driveway.

If I take it on the interstate in the winter it always switches over to Hold mode with about 3 miles of range left, and can't hold 75 mph in EV mode once it gets below 50% SOC.
This is the same issue I'm having. I start to go up a small hill and the ICE kicks in even though I have 5 miles of EV left.
I'm in to dealer soon so I keep posting here.
Old 02-07-2023, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruuster
I have a 2017 A3 E Tron plug in hybrid. When I bought the car in 2019 I was getting 21 EV only miles. Now I only get 11.
I brought it to the dealer and they "re-balanced the battery pack" said to drive for 500 miles. Still the same range (as I expected).
I have a log of mileage range since I bought it showing the degrading of range.

How can I get the dealer to replace the EV battery under warranty? They keep saying it's within spec.
Oddly enough, I have a '16 e-Tron with similar mileage and it goes 18-20 miles on a charge, so I haven't seen that degradation. My understanding is that the batteries have a 10-year nominal life, but it lessens if you bring it to 100% every charge. Now with an 18-mile range, it's not very practical to set the charger to only go to 80%, but that's the trade-off...a few more EV miles or a few more years of battery life.
Old 02-09-2023, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just to keep you posted.
Car has been at dealer for 3 days. The service rep gave me an update.
"We are running test for the battery so we can get back to Audi. This process will take a while."
Really? It takes 3 days to run a test. And as we know, they really only talk with their internal staff.
Old 02-27-2023, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have my car back from dealer. EV battery was replaced. Car charges to 26-27 miles on dash. I've only driven a few miles but looks good so far.
It's getting about .8 miles for each mile ticking off on the display. So about 21-22 miles on a charge city driving.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bruuster:
flygdchman (03-01-2023), twinpowers (03-23-2023)
Old 03-01-2023, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratulations. Before I got to the end of the thread I would have thought it was a lost cause as there doesn't seem to be any clear criteria like for example Tesla's 70% of EPA range by Audi. Did they state why they replaced it? I just talked to the dealer about this as we are thinking about going to look at one and he basically said it has to through a code or fail altogether before they would replace it.
Old 03-02-2023, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by flygdchman
Congratulations. Before I got to the end of the thread I would have thought it was a lost cause as there doesn't seem to be any clear criteria like for example Tesla's 70% of EPA range by Audi. Did they state why they replaced it? I just talked to the dealer about this as we are thinking about going to look at one and he basically said it has to through a code or fail altogether before they would replace it.
Just keep records of the mileage degrading. I brought the dash photos and a spreadsheet to my dealer to prove my point. I basically said I'm not picking the car up until you replace the EV battery. LOL
The following 2 users liked this post by Bruuster:
flygdchman (03-03-2023), twinpowers (03-23-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the same issue in a 2016 with EXACTLY the same number of miles (51,500). I wonder if it is something that is happening around the 50k mark? Granted, it's not happening to everyone, but the mileage coincidence is strange.
Old 03-23-2023, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just think it's the age of the battery and multiple charging. They are only Lithium Ion. 90% of my driving is EV for short trips. When my range was down to 11mi I'd go to grocery store and back and recharge then do my next errand.
Now I can do multiple errands on one charge being I get about 22mi.

Quick Reply: Need advise before going to dealer about EV battery replacement